HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14A

Hey its starting to come together nicely. Cant wait to see her all buttoned up and ready for some paint! I will have to say one thing though. I am not a big fan of using decals for the instrument panels. Is there not much detail for the IP's and side consoles?

Well The only decals that go on the "Side consoles is the 1 on the screen for the r/H Rio... As far as the IP's.. Detail is OK.. Most Instruments only have the Bezels and not much dial detail.. But it's not too bad for OOB.. I had dry brushed them befor putting on the decals.. Wish I had taken a pic 1st.

Excuse me, bloke; whut's "them" Shull24 GE engine set again? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Unc²

These are the aftermarket GE Engine set that are on the F-14B's and D's....

Nice to see progress being made. I pulled my Hasegawa F-14 out of the stash and worked on the cockpit some. Swear to God, it sucked the modeling mojo right out of me. All the bulkheads and consoles fit together in that thing like a poorly-documented Chinese jigsaw puzzle. The rest of the tough stuff on that kit is mostly done, but it feels like its one ordeal after another with that damned thing.....

david

I have never built a Hasegawa or Hobby Boss 1/48 Tomcat before but I study others' Hasegawa Tomcat builds a lot (hence kinda know the issues). After this thread, I am sooo tempted to get the Hobby Boss one. All the comments thus far seem to suggest that HB is a better kit all around than Hasegawa. Is this accurate to say? I am specifically interested in the quality of the details and the fit. Please note that I am excluding the price issue at this time.

Hi All! A bit of an update today.. Pluggin' along on this build... I must say... This has been the most stress free build of a tomcat for me ever!!

Well as expected... The nose strut would not go in the wheel well after fuselage assy.. So.. Taking a tip from the 1/32 Trumpy builds around, I broke out the saw and chopped it.... I fortunately had some 1/16 OD aluminum around and was able to install in the lower strut half for mating to the trunion assy in the WW... Turned out really well I must admit...

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

Next up... Fuselage assy

Dave

Well I got the fwd fuselage buttoned up... Went so well.. I didn't realy take any progress shots.. The tub fit real well... Best yet for me on a cat build.....

I have a few pics of the pit after install

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

Next was installing the front and rear fuselage halves... Went SUPER Nice!! Here are some pics of the upper joint with out any work.. Not even sanding with 0000 steel wool

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

Now the only prob is a pretty nasty step on the bottom.. Now everything went together so well... I really am not gonna worry about it... I will install the Pheonix rails so it will cover it almost totally and that will be good enough for the average Joe modeler like me... I marked the step onto the rail and just shaved it a bit to create a matching step and it will do just fine....

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Well thats it for now..

Thanks for looking!

Dave

A question over on another site was raised about the vertical stab size/shape differences between this kit and the HAS conceirning decals that were meant for the HAS.. Here's a couple shots of the Vert Stabs... The shape and size is pretty close... They are a bit off on the Fwd bottom where the stab meets the base.. But other than that.. I realy see no issue for decals sized for HAS... At least for the bulk of them...

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

Awesome to see this beauty getting put together, really like your ballast of pennies. I used to use pennies until I got some lead fishing weights.......lol! A question that I do have is regarding the difference between the Vert. Stabs. Which one would you say is more accurate? BTW, nice way to hide that step!

I have never built a Hasegawa or Hobby Boss 1/48 Tomcat before but I study others' Hasegawa Tomcat builds a lot (hence kinda know the issues). After this thread, I am sooo tempted to get the Hobby Boss one. All the comments thus far seem to suggest that HB is a better kit all around than Hasegawa. Is this accurate to say? I am specifically interested in the quality of the details and the fit. Please note that I am excluding the price issue at this time.

And I have opposite view. Hasegawa is really bad to assembly. But if you will rescribe panel lines, will looks much better then this HB.

One thing what I really don´t undestand, are the stupid HB rivets. Why they did there?

And for me don´t looks hobby boss easyer to assembly. And surface details don´t look good too....

But as Tomcat fan, must one HB buy propably also...

Fom me is the winner hasegawa.... I hope that my view will change after HB kit build.

Edited by Honza K.

Thanks all for the comments! Still pluggin away.... Hopefully I'll have a update in a few days.... Need to work on a 1:1 King Air this week! We're doin some re-paint! Det season is around the corner and we've been doin' quite a bit of TLC jobs.... Re covered Cocpit seats and a few cabin seats... Spiffin up the airstair doors.. The escutchens were NASTY.. Re covering a few interipor panels... Thank god most of the pilots were on Vacation!!! LOL

And I have opposite view. Hasegawa is really bad to assembly. But if you will rescribe panel lines, will looks much better then this HB.

One thing what I really don´t undestand, are the stupid HB rivets. Why they did there?

And for me don´t looks hobby boss easyer to assembly. And surface details don´t look good too....

Fom me is the winner hasegawa.... I hope that my view will change after HB kit build.

If i will have to choice rescribing Hasegawa's panel lines or removing HB rivets, I select HB option. The main problem for me is if HB Tomcat has good shape. By now I haven't seen any pictures where I could see it. But I hope that sooner or later we will find finished model of HB Tomcat.

Since now Hasegawa vs. HB - 1:1 :angry:

:thumbsup:

It is true, I think the same way. I think both kits are good, I have three Hasegawa kits waitin but not Hobby Boss yet.

Hasegawa does not bring weapons, but once finished looks really good but still did not see the Hobby Boss finished, I hope the HB forms are so accurate as Hasegawa. :worship:

It is more easy to remove the incorrect rivets in HB than add in Hasegawa after sanding

Both have their weak points, there is no perfect kit.

Remember "No points for the second place" LOL

Greetings

FEDE

I know that there are gonna be some Die Hard opponants to the HB kit... And that is OK.... But I'm tellin' ya all.. This kit will be great for the modeler that doesn't wanna spend up to a year building.... Or spending up to 100 % the price of the kit for an Aires / Avionics Pit and other aftermarket goodies to make the mighty Hasegawa better... This kit is for the modeler that models for themselves. Now if your a commission builder that can have the buyer absorb the cost of the after market stuff.. Thats great.... But lets not bash this kit to badly. Yea the HB is about $10.00 more than a standard HAS A model... But how much are ya gonna spend on stuff?? OOB the HB Beats HAS Hands down for fit, Cockpit details and wheel wells, Yea the excessive rivits are a bit over the top... But an hour of applying some Mr Surfacer 500 to the un wanted rivits and 10 minutes of sanding with 800 grit sand paper, the problem is gone.. And no wanted surface detail is lost...

I'll have some profile shots of the main fuselage up in the next day or so... She's lookin pretty good compared to my latest HAS build

Dave

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker
This build looks awesome and can't wait to see more!

One question: how did you weather the cockpit? Some sort of white wash? The panels look really nice now.

Denis

Thanks Denis... I used ProModeler Light wash.... It's a bit overdone... I used it over a flat coat.. Next time I think I will try over a gloss coat the clear flat after....

Dave

Okay! I'm sold! I will buy the HB F-14 & will not get those Hasegawa F-14s kit again. Look accurate enough as real F-14A for me and without all Hasegawa's fit problems plus come with complete WEAPON SET!

To Dave,

Many thanks for this wonderful tread and it's really help me decide on F-14 matter. I wonder does this kit include a separate air refuelling probe? It's would be great for Iranian F-14.