1/32 Czech Models CT-133

It will be worth the effort. Looking great so far Dan.

Thanks Charlie.

I'm at that point in foiling where it seems it will never end, and I tend to focus on what's not going OK. For my next natural metal aircraft, I might try Alclad again... not sure.

ALF

You're brave to foil on such a big beast! One day I'd like to foil something much smaller, a Tutor in 1:48.

Just read through the thread where you did 393 in grey, it looked great. FYI, these days 393 is intact but faded at the museum in Greenwood.

You're brave to foil on such a big beast! One day I'd like to foil something much smaller, a Tutor in 1:48.

Just read through the thread where you did 393 in grey, it looked great. FYI, these days 393 is intact but faded at the museum in Greenwood.

Nerd

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know 393 was in the Greenwood museum. It's been about 15 years since my last trip to that base - I have never seen the museum. Maybe one day soon we'll tour the Maritimes, and stop by the museum there.

ALF

The foiling is looking good, better you than me though. I don't think I would have the patience to do the foil. If you do do a tour of the Maritimes, let Charlie or me know and we can give you a tour of the local Tim's here in Moncton.

The foiling is looking good, better you than me though. I don't think I would have the patience to do the foil. If you do do a tour of the Maritimes, let Charlie or me know and we can give you a tour of the local Tim's here in Moncton.

Foiling is definitely demanding of patience. I am about 2/3 of the way there - there are some parts I think look good, and others that are 'not ideal' - but generally working out OK. It slows me down quite a bit!

Thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a line if we drive out East. Timmy's should start a passport-stamping booklet - the challenge would be to visit as many Tim's as possible across the country. After 100 different stamps, you would get a free box of doughnuts and a 10-cup box of coffee... hopefully they're listening!

ALF

Grat work. One question,what glue did you use for foil?

Thanks Pedja

The glue I use is called Gilding Paste, the brand name is Gedeo by a company called Pebeo. It's made in France. The paste is intended to be used for sticking gold leaf on stuff. I got it from an art supply store. If you ask at an art supply place for glue for gold leaf, they'll surely direct you to a similar product.

One secret is to let it dry on the foil for at least 15 minutes before using the first time. I find it remains tacky and useable for weeks. Be extra careful not to get dust or plastic shavings onto the aircraft or the foil.

ALF

Thanks Pedja

The glue I use is called Gilding Paste, the brand name is Gedeo by a company called Pebeo. It's made in France. The paste is intended to be used for sticking gold leaf on stuff. I got it from an art supply store. If you ask at an art supply place for glue for gold leaf, they'll surely direct you to a similar product.

One secret is to let it dry on the foil for at least 15 minutes before using the first time. I find it remains tacky and useable for weeks. Be extra careful not to get dust or plastic shavings onto the aircraft or the foil.

ALF

Thanks,

that`s useful information,once I did try to glue same foil, "kitchen foil", with superglue,results were poor.I heard about that art glue for gold leafs,now as I see, it`s working.

it's definitely slow process, but final result looks very good!

cheering you to continue to the end... you're doing good job so far ALF... :crying:

Thanks!

All these positive comments are definitely helping my motivation.

More progress, just to show that it's eventually going to get there.

I will need to do some polishing at the end with some steel wool, to smooth out some of these burnishing marks.

P1090592.jpg

The top is mostly done.

P1090594.jpg

The bottom (where I hide my mistakes) is about halfway there.

P1090595.jpg

Surprisingly enough, the surface texture on this foil is a bit like the T-birds were after decades of service. They were scratched and dented - here is picture taken by a friend, with me in the back seat of the other aircraft, as we climb out in formation from Comox BC, enroute to Cold Lake.

McWilliams19-1.jpg

If you look closely at this hero shot (Cold Lake, summer 1986), you'll see what I mean about scratched and pocked surface finish.

McWilliams20.jpg

ALF

I foiled a P-51 Mustang a long time ago . . . in 1:144 scale . . . :thumbsup:

P51D.jpg

Nice work ALF!!

Edited by wmburns
I foiled a P-51 Mustang a long time ago . . . in 1:144 scale . . . :rolleyes:

P51D.jpg

Nice work ALF!!

Bill

What a cute little Mustang! Thanks for the comments. Soon the fun part - when I start using your decals... Stay tuned!

ALF

Alf

that is amazing, it is starting to realy look like a T-bird. :worship:

makes the advertisment on the latest Squadron cataloge a bit tempting-now that I know all the pitfalls :worship:

Thanks!

Despite its drawbacks, this kit is still pretty decent. In the hands of a skilled modeller, it can be made to look very nice. Regardless of the fact it's the only game in town for a big T-bird, it's still worth buying and building. I have a second one to do, which I promise to do better on - just not soon, because I need to rebuild my patience!

ALF

Thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a line if we drive out East. Timmy's should start a passport-stamping booklet - the challenge would be to visit as many Tim's as possible across the country. After 100 different stamps, you would get a free box of doughnuts and a 10-cup box of coffee... hopefully they're listening!

ALF

Great idea Dan, if they did have the passport, you could easily get about 20 different stamps here in Moncton alone.

Major progress made in the foiling. Here you can see the tail, with its complex shapes and curves. Note the headline in the background about the World Junior Hockey championship game. In a way, I chose this front page from the Gazette to use underneath as an inspriation. I didn't want to be like our hockey players, and choke when the job was almost done...

P1090596.jpg

Here is a short detailed view of how I am doing the panels, for those of you who are interested. For those who don't care, you can skip to the next entry or two, where you see the overall view of the aircraft, foiling done.

I cut a piece that will be larger than the panel to be done. I also don't make pieces too large, because when they curve around a tapering fuselage like this, they tend to wrinkle up and become impossible to sit with no creases. I use the aircraft panel lines, and check the opposite side to see where the panels should end as I go.

The piece of foil is pressed into place with a finger, along one edge.

P1090600.jpg

I try not to glue the excess down, so it's easier to get rid of afterward. This view of the opposite side shows you the size and shape of the area I am covering on the other side.

P1090601.jpg

Here is where it has to wrap around to. I have cut a slit in the foil near the wing root, to allow it to bend around without creasing.

P1090602.jpg

The slit is more obvious here.

P1090603.jpg

As I press it down with my finger, creases start to form.

P1090604.jpg

ALF

I use the rounded end of a flat toothpick to burnish it down, working from the centre toward the outsides, and from one edge toward the other of the panel. Rubbing hard, it takes the creases out. A combination of finger pressure and toothpick are used as I progress slowly along the panel.

P1090606.jpg

At the edges of the panel, I use the edge of the toothpick to seat the foil into the panel line.

P1090605.jpg

When the whole panel is burnished down, I cut carefully with a very sharp knife along each edge. Sometimes I will leave a little overlap beyond where the previously-done panel ends.

P1090607.jpg

Here is a view of a tiny segment that I used a scrap from the previous panel to cover. It has been burnished into place.

P1090608.jpg

I cut along the edges. A trick to lift up the excess to make it easier to grab is to use the knife blade. I am careful not to slice the foil underneath on the already-done neighbouring panel.

P1090609.jpg

Tweezers to lift it up...

P1090610.jpg

And finish the job with fingers, taking care to get it all and not rip the foil. Changing angles of pulling as I go is required.

P1090611.jpg

Panel done!

P1090612.jpg

ALF

Thanks for the little tutorial for applying the foil as well. I'd like to try using this stuff at some point and this will definitely help!

No prob, Spit 1A. I hesitated, not wanting to appear to be telling people how to suck eggs, but I realized as I went along that I was learning a few little things each panel - even though this is about the 4th model I do with foil lately. Thanks for the comments.

Great prgress Alf!! Super job in showing the process too. It's looking very life-like.

Nice helmet-less shot of you in the Bx up there as well - lol!!

Thanks for the comments, Tilt. And don't you be tellin' anyone about my flagrant disregard of flying orders... :woot.gif:

Is it ever loud in the T-bird without a helmet!!!

ALF

Here's what I do sometimes to cover up little mistakes - like a slim line along a panel join, or in this case the little red spots where the complex curves made it tough to get proper coverage or I trimmed too much off. Here are the red spots (around the horizontal stab):

P1090613.jpg

Rather than redo the entire panel, or add a little patch (which can look terrible sometimes), I often colour them in with a pen - a silver leaf pen.

P1090614.jpg

The end result.

P1090615.jpg

Now the foiling is finally done! Next are touchups to the black and red patches, painting the tip tanks, and installing the landing gear.

P1090616.jpg

ALF

And don't you be tellin' anyone about my flagrant disregard of flying orders... :woot.gif:

Is it ever loud in the T-bird without a helmet!!!

ALF

(in my best Sgt. Schultz voice)

"I see nothing........NOTHING!!!!"

:rofl: