What was the best gift you ever received?

Asides the gift of life (Your own life, your children, etc.)

What was the best gift you ever received? Think back to the days when you were a child even.

I can think of the best, unfortunately it did not come on Christmas because I had just turned 6 on my birthday so I think around may 1991, but my Grandparents who are the frugilest people in the world, spent around $50 for a brand new (at the time) copy of Mario Bros. 3

I still find the game fun, although it can be impossibly difficult at time (last time I played it I had to give up on level 3, stage 3 because the big fish would eat me everytime I landed in the water and once you lose all your lives, I think you lose your whole inventory) and it did not have a save feature which meant if you lost all your lives, you couldn't restart over with all your powerups in your inventory, but at the time it was the best game ever made. I think the replay value on it would still make it relevant today if it just had a save feature (Which they added in Super Mario Bros. World on the SNES)

I remember me and my brother watching a bad movie called "The Wizard" just to see brief glimpses of NES games and of the then new, Mario Bros. 3 on the big screen (1989/1990). No one cared about the plot, it was like a 90 minute long japanese toy ad. I may not have grown up with the Atari, or space invaders, and PacMan was an old relic when I played it 20 years after it had come out at a local restaurant, but I do like to think that I did live through some of the golden age of videogames, when graphix took a backseat to quality gameplay and you could play them from the convenience of your home without shoving in a fresh quarter every 3 minutes.

Edited by Superjew
Best ever was probably a GI Joe (back when GI Joe was 12 inches tall) with the foot locker full of cool accessories. That must've been 1965-66 or thereabouts.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I was just watching on modern marvels a reference to the older GI JOE's that were 12 inches tall. Back when I was a kid, I didnt collect them but they were smaller.

I also met these kids, their mom died and their dad felt sorry for them so he bought them every toy available back in about 1990ish, and they had a room filled with like 22 GI JOE F16 Jets, their table looked like a mini-aircraft carrier. He also had a bunch of other toys to boot as well as an NES stocked with games. Of Course I only cared if I got to play TMNT2 cuz it was similar to the arcade version of the game.

One of my all-time favorites was the "huge" FireBall XL-5 spaceship in the early 60's. I still remember playing with this thing for hours. For those of you born too late to know what this is; here's a clip from the TV show:

FireBall_XL5.jpg

xl51.jpg

Just checked eBay and I see there's one for sale. $610.00 with 21 bids at this moment.

Edited by Unit19

For Christmas in 1976(?), my Dad built the Revell 1/96 Saturn V for me. I thought it was the COOLEST thing in the world. It was as tall as me!

I still have it, too!

:(

Mike

Edited by mlicari
skystriker_box.jpg

Steven L :(

Excellent! I bought mine, and had to save, save, save my pennies for that thing! I still have it, along with all the other GI Joe toys I had...my son and his cousins occasionally get the stuff out for some epic battles! :)

Mike

Well, there are two that I have very fond memories of. See if you guys remember these...

SC1.JPG

Learn about it here: The Time Machine

See it in action here:

The Time Machine was the original issue name. The reissue was called the "Strange Change Machine."

The Time Machine was a big deal to me because I always have had a strong interest in science/SciFi/dinosaurs, etc. About the time Mattel marketed this thing, the Ray Harryhausen movie The Valley of Gwangi (pronounced Gwanjee) was released. Cowboys and dinosaurs? What could be cooler to a nine year old?

482605.1020.A.jpg

See Gwangi in action here: Gwangi. When I saw that bluish dinosaur on the Time Machine box, what do you think I thought of? And before you ask, yes, I do have Gwangi on DVD and you can get a model of him.

I also got one of these for Christmas one year.

polaris-sub.jpg

Edited by DutyCat
Not for me, thank you.

I feel you on that, I'm Athiest, but I still respect the Christian religion as I use to be a Presbyterian and found my old church to have some really nice people, it was the Pentecostal, Catholics and Southern Babtists version of it that kinda drove me away.

Anyways the point is, lets keep the thread focused on inanimate objects (Pets can be an exception) that you received as a kid or adult later in life, Not the gift of Jesus Christ, or your Childrens lives etc. and I think religion talk is about as bad as political talk even though there is no mention of it as a rule on this forum (I probably shouldn't of even mentioned my own personal beleifs since some people find my beliefs offensive)

Edited by Superjew