What was the best gift you ever received?

(I probably shouldn't of even mentioned my own personal beleifs since some people find my beliefs offensive)

When did the world become a place where acceptance of people meant blanding them down so no one's super thin skin was damaged by others thoughts? why are people so whiny and sensitive these days?

For me its this:

p-10240.jpg

Completed the Crucible on Christmas Eve, 2002.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

The best Christmas I had that we got the most gifts would have to be when I was 5 years old and I received almost all the TONKA Construction trucks set and even a garbage truck that worked like the real thing. And a Big Wheel! I drove that thing till the wheels could not be driven anymore due to the large wear holes in them. Man I loved that Big Wheel!

Robert

Marx-Big-Wheel.jpg

Edited by Ro-Gar Hobbies
Not for me, thank you.

I had just had a confrontation with someone who thinks everyone should except his beliefs, but isn't able to do the same for others. I just posted my reaction because of that confrontation, not to shock anyone. I probably shouldn't have done that.

Anyway,

best thing I ever got was two tickets for two nights three days in Disneyland Paris, some 15 years ago, for me and my girlfriend. We've been married for 10 years now, have an eight year old son and a six year old daughter, and guess what they are getting for Christmas this year....,and me too :thumbsup:

For me the best gift I EVER received was this one:

Robotech's Veritech (scale seemed to have been close to 1/32 - for the one I got anyway)

2838821053_d911b0ffba.jpg

The thing though with this "gift" is that I literally "gave it" to myself. I was about 6 or so when Robotech came on and I remember begging mom to get me the above model. She couldn't do it (not enough money to go around back in those days) so I began saving every penny I got and was finally able to get one after an entire year of saving for it. Mom was so proud she even got me Rick Hunter (the Veritech fighter pilot) to go along with it. Man, I took that model to bed for quite some time and I now attribute my love for aviation to the Robotech series. What memories....

Here's Rich Hunter (this guy was my idol!)

3073051261_af50570e8d.jpg

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN
Well, there are two that I have very fond memories of. See if you guys remember these...

SC1.JPG

Learn about it here: The Time Machine

See it in action here:

The Time Machine was the original issue name. The reissue was called the "Strange Change Machine."

The Time Machine was a big deal to me because I always have had a strong interest in science/SciFi/dinosaurs, etc. About the time Mattel marketed this thing, the Ray Harryhausen movie The Valley of Gwangi (pronounced Gwanjee) was released. Cowboys and dinosaurs? What could be cooler to a nine year old?

482605.1020.A.jpg

See Gwangi in action here: Gwangi. When I saw that bluish dinosaur on the Time Machine box, what do you think I thought of? And before you ask, yes, I do have Gwangi on DVD and you can get a model of him.

I also got one of these for Christmas one year.

polaris-sub.jpg

Oh Man! I wanted one of those Polaris Subs when I was a kid. When I was a teen I worked in a welding shop that built playground equipment. My dad was the manager, so I got away with building one out of steel with working hatches, and a control room with a working periscope. It sold the day we placed it out in front of the business.

Not the Best but Hobbymaster have produced a 1/48th collectors MK19 diecast spitfire and it is painted up in the scheme of the one next door, The company whose initial had R and R in it and made Aero engines would not let them put the company name words on the cowlings as per the aircraft, but commissioned them to produce just 300 to sell to employees and hand out as gifts, I have been given one as a thank you for helping out when needed :D rare as rocking horse poo :D

To the person that actually got the sub of my dreams, what was it like in real life, was it any good????

Edited by TonyT

Honestly the best gift my family got was the news that our daughter is not diabetic. After one year of agony with dealing with the testing and insulin injections daily, Sick Kids in Toronto told us that she wasn't. Misdiagnosis.

Best news and early Christmas present.

And my best friend got a job after a long struggle looking. We are so happy for him and his family, they deserve it.

Merry Christmas all!!

Tricose

Edited by Tricose

While not technically a "gift" I received a $50k check this year from my former employer. This employer has eliminated our jobs in August 2009, without bargaining or negotiating in any way with our union. Then they proceeded to replace our jobs with management employees. Needless to say the National Labor Relations Board ruled that the employer had committed an unfair labor practice and had failed to bargain in good faith (actually they had failed to bargain at all, but who's counting?). The NLRB issued their ruling in April of this year and demanded that we be returned to work with full back pay and benefits. After months of bitter negotiations (and spending well over a million dollars on a high powered anti-union law firm), the employer finally caved in and returned us to work. I decided to stay with my current employer, but I still received the payout, which I am VERY grateful for. Best. Present. Ever.

P.S. I don't usually spill this kind of personal info but I am enjoying a little personal gift to myself, I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie single malt 25 year Scotch and it is ALL that is cracked up to be! :coolio: :lol:

The last words my father ever wrote. They're in a card he gave me on my 26th birthday. He passed away from cancer 10 days later.

Second would be the ride in Tony Hayes's Lancaster at the CWH that I got as an anniversary gift a number of years back.

While not technically a "gift" I received a $50k check this year from my former employer. This employer has eliminated our jobs in August 2009, without bargaining or negotiating in any way with our union. Then they proceeded to replace our jobs with management employees. Needless to say the National Labor Relations Board ruled that the employer had committed an unfair labor practice and had failed to bargain in good faith (actually they had failed to bargain at all, but who's counting?). The NLRB issued their ruling in April of this year and demanded that we be returned to work with full back pay and benefits. After months of bitter negotiations (and spending well over a million dollars on a high powered anti-union law firm), the employer finally caved in and returned us to work. I decided to stay with my current employer, but I still received the payout, which I am VERY grateful for. Best. Present. Ever.

P.S. I don't usually spill this kind of personal info but I am enjoying a little personal gift to myself, I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie single malt 25 year Scotch and it is ALL that is cracked up to be! :cheers::santa:

Ah, chalk up at least one point for the little man. Cheers!

Tyco Chattanooga Choo Choo

Christmas gift in 1975 from my parents. This gift initiated a life long interest in model trains.

I also remember countless hours with my brother and dad building a layout in the basement of our old house running good old chatty around puffing smoke.

Cool gift

my ex gave me a car once. rather nice one too...

Was never entirely sure why, but what the hell, because I didnt have one at the time, so it was nice... stacked it this summer gone though.

I had owned it for 3 or 4 years.... maybe 5.

Not sure if it was the best present, just a little bit "out there" though.