How many can relate?

Hey just wanted to know how many other guys out there are alone this Christmas. As many of you know I moved to Arkansas in July and my girlfriends family all live in Wisconsin. She had talked about going back there for the Holidays. I got a new job about a month and a half ago and I was unable to get off of work, unfortunately its not just a quick drive down the road like the last few years. I really wanted to go because its my family you know. I guess I know that I have to miss Christmas with them this year but because I stayed and went to work maybe that will insure that I will be able to spend it with them next year either in Wisconsin or here in Arkansas. I guess I am just trying to find out if I am the only schmuck that stayed home to go to work and not be with family, or if you guys think that I made the right decision! Any comments welcome, whether they are against or for my decision, would just like to know. Thanks guys and hope that you all have a Merry Christmas.

I live by myself. I'm going to some friends' for dinner on Christmas day, but that's it. Otherwise it's me and the hounds, which is just fine. I've never really been into all the hooplah over Christmas anyway.

Sock away some good movies, make a pitcher of margaritas, and have a ball! :D

Merry Christmas!

J

I'm self-employed, this year has been a nightmare. Work = bread + roof over our heads. No contest. But i do feel for families that are separated for whatever reason this rime of the year. One of our mates on another forum is a railway engineer and he will be away from home from tomorrow until the 30th, which is the next time his wife and kids get to see him. Keep in touch with everybody and you won't feel so bad.

peebeep

Hard to say if you've made the right decision as you are the only one who can truly determine that but I can tell you one thing, with the way things are nowadays on the employment front, making sure the job thing is taken care of is extremely important. Enjoy yourself this year and, before you know it, you'll get to do it all over again with the family next year.

Merry Christmas!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I know what you mean JMan.

My girl lives in Russia... about 60 kilcks north of Moscow on the edge of the Moscow oblast...

Of course with her being Russian she doesnt celebrate Christmas on the 25th like we do, she is more excited about New Year, which is their version of our Christmas (presents, family etc), but I still wish so much it was a quick drive away!

I'm batching it myself this year. I'm working a 12-day stretch right through the holidays (since I'm still the FNG at work, I get stuck with the crappiest hours.) Mandie's son is home on leave with the rest of her family in Terre Haute (300 miles south) and she hasn't seen her grandson since Memorial Day. Since I can't get away, I told her to go ahead and go by herself..she'll head down tomorrow and be back on Sunday. It bites, but we opened our presents to each other this evening, and she gave me the box set of "The Pacific" on Blue Ray, so I'll have something to keep me occupied.

Being separated from loved ones at Christmas sucks, but not having anyone to spend it with at all is much worse. After my first marriage imploded in the early 90s, I was a total Scrooge. It was probably five years before I put up a tree or did anything for the holidays. I went to a few parties with friends, but was usually miserable watching all the "happy couples." New Years Eve parties were the worst, when it seemed like everybody was kissing at midnight except me.

Merry Christmas!

Steve

I spent many a holiday both ashore and on deployment aboard US NAVY ships. Not truly alone, of course, I was far from family. So I can relate to that.

As for whether you did the right thing and stuck to the job for Xmas, well.... hard to say. You have a new job and need to stick to it. But its Christmas - long drive or not, you oughta make the effort unless forced to remain.

Ive driven half way across the continent to spend a day with family. So it can be done.

Well, being alone on Christmas sucks for some and for others it is simply another day. I am batching it myself until Sunday and we'll make it through! One of our cats has a heart condition and has to get medicine twice a day, our normal cat sitter is away for the Holiday, so I convinced my wife to go ahead to her parents without me. I also have a 10-15 page paper due for my World History course, as well as a 7-10 page paper due for my American Government course, so I'll use the time wisely (as if!). Anyway, for those that are winging it alone, just relax and enjoy the quiet. If you can, break out a kit and do your thing! Merry Christmas everyone!

Rick

P.S. the worst thing about not being at the In-Laws is that they are having prime rib, which I dearly love. Oh well, only a week until we have our annual NYE seafood feast, with Lobster casserole, Crab stuffed mushrooms & Shrimp Cocktail. That'll make up for missing the prime rib!

I'm not the one "alone" this year at Christmas,,,,,poor SWMBO has only me this year

she just started a new job as a cook at the hospital, so she doesn't have vacation time yet, and being the newest in the kitchen, she has to work every day until Monday,,,,,but, people visiting loved ones in the hospital need to eat somewhere

so, her lil grandsons will have to go without her this year, next year we'll make up for it by spending a week with them in Buffalo

this year at least she can come home to her modeling nerd and I'll cook her up something for a Christmas dinner, unless she calls and tells me she has Turkey to bring home

the good news for her is that the postman dropped off a package that says "to Gramma" on it,,,,,,so, she got some things from the 4 year old to open when she gets home

here's hoping that you all make the best of this day

Happy Holidays

Rex, Anne, Leo,,,,,,and Spectre (the model guarding cat)

I been alone for quite sometime. To me holidays are just another day. Sure it would be nice to spend time with family. I do haev family but they in 1 state away and is probably the ONLY MOST DISFUNCTIONAL family there has ever been around.

So holidays don't bother me anymore, I just chalk it up as everyone going nuts in the stores except me. But that is the cards I been dealt with,so i deal with it.

I been alone for quite sometime. To me holidays are just another day. Sure it would be nice to spend time with family.

So holidays don't bother me anymore, I just chalk it up as everyone going nuts in the stores except me. But that is the cards I been dealt with,so i deal with it.

How true is that ...+1

"Being separated from loved ones at Christmas sucks, but not having anyone to spend it with at all is much worse".

Been there. When my marriage collapsed suddenly 15 years ago, I spent my 1st Christmas alone ever. It was hell, I don't think I had a dry eye all day. Missed the kids and the fun we had, missed the warmth and the laughter, missed everthing.

Don't think I ever got over that. It was easily the worst time of my life. So--for anyone out there, this year in that position---my heart goes out to you. I know how it feels. Just know this---it will end. If you are really as lucky as I was, after 5 years of this cold and horrible time, I met a wonderful woman. Christmas now is full of warmth, humour and love---I can only pray that you will find the same.

Merry Christmas to you all my friends.

Edited by Gordon
I been alone for quite sometime. To me holidays are just another day. Sure it would be nice to spend time with family. I do haev family but they in 1 state away and is probably the ONLY MOST DISFUNCTIONAL family there has ever been around.

Same here! Only I think I may have you beat on the dysfunctional family! I used to go home (Ohio) for Christmas, and everytime I did, I'd remember why I left in the first place!

Pretty sure my neighbors have left their youngest kid at home all by himself this year while they went on vacation. Should I call Child & Family Services?

I can't believe that someone did that to their own child.. Yes I would call and make sure the kid was looked after so no harm comes to him/her.

:coolio:

All my family lives in Texas and my wifes parents and one of her brothers went to her other brothers house in New Jersey. My daughter is in Baghdad (her first Christmas away from home). So, we are left here in SC, just gonna wear sweats all day, watch movies, and broil some salmon for Christmas dinner. I coudn't get off work anyway. I hope everyone can have a happy Christmas no matter what your situation.

Chris

I can't believe that someone did that to their own child.. Yes I would call and make sure the kid was looked after so no harm comes to him/her.

Worst part is, this is a really nice neighborhood that isn't gated, and you know how burglars like to target streets like these during the holidays.

Pretty sure my neighbors have left their youngest kid at home all by himself this year while they went on vacation. Should I call Child & Family Services?

Wow, about how old of a child is this ? :angry:

:coolio:

Sage advice ... :)

Worst part is, this is a really nice neighborhood that isn't gated, and you know how burglars like to target streets like these during the holidays.

That or something happen at the home in general too ...

You don't really want the "Gee, I should have said something ..." feelings come later if something bad were to happen ...

Gregg

Wow, about how old of a child is this ? :)

Sage advice ... :coolio:

That or something happen at the home in general too ...

You don't really want the "Gee, I should have said something ..." feelings come later if something bad were to happen ...

Gregg

Um I think they're making references to the movie 'Home Alone' and a child is not actually left alone during Christmas.

I spent 21 years in the USAF and 8 Christmas seasons of that overseas & away from my wife and kids. The other 13 years were with the wife and kids, but 2,000 miles or more away from her family and mine. Since I retired in 1984, I have spent every Christmas with my immediate family and sometimes that included parents, siblings etc. Yesterday and today were spent at our daughter's house with her husband and son. Our son, his wife & son were there yesterday, so we all celebrated Christmas a couple days early. I feel especially blessed to have both son and daughter plus their spouses and sons less than 80 miles away. The wife and I will soon celebrate our 47 anniversary and we are looking forward to that many more, so

Life is good!

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

I'm not spending the day alone; my elderly mother lives with me, but she has Alzeheimer's Disease so I do feel very alone this day. Her sister and her family were unable to accommodate a visit from us over the weekend.

But yes, Darwin...Life Is Good!