Warpaint #11 Sea Vixen - don't bother...

With all the hooplah over the Sea Vixen, I thought I'd add this title to my collection of FAA refs. I needn't have bothered. Probably the shoddiest one of the entire Warpaint series that I've seen. The text and the photos are nice, but the color artwork is uniformly, well, to be charitable, worthless. It's very amateurishly done and absolutely inaccurate on almost every count. Most of the artwork doesn't agree with photos of the same subjects within the pages of the same book! The artist used whatever computer font was readily at hand for side numbers and serials, which looks comical. The D.3 is shown in totally incorrect colors, etc, etc. Just not worth the money I'm afraid.

J

Edited by Jennings
I have the BarracudaGraphs book and it's a great walkaround book. However, there aren't many in-service photos of that's what you are looking for.

Dave,

In your opinion is it worth the $27 and would you consider it a must-have resource? TIA,

Rick

Dave,

In your opinion is it worth the $27 and would you consider it a must-have resource? TIA,

Rick

Well, if you're looking for a comprehensive walkaround for detailing a kit, it's definitely worth it. If you want a colors and markings book, or a book on the service history, not so much. It's similar to a Squadron Walkaround or Aero Detail book if you're familiar with them.

There's a third reference book about the Sea Vixen

Not seen that (got his Shackleton one though and that is rather good, if a little short.) The Barracuda one is very fine indeed - does Mr Sutherland himself suggest a little obsessive even? - and I'd not be without it for the close-in Vixen details. Not high on profiles though, when I've flicked through it.

Gratuitous Vixen snaps:

yeovilton2010-10-30_358.jpg

yeovilton2010-10-30_360.jpg

Merry Christmas :whistle: