invaluable modeling tools

i would love a punch & die set - i would love one... must say having the right tool for the job helps - noticed this when i got a pin-vice and mini drill, really did make making small holes easy.... am in the market for a few new tools so razor saw and scriber (and decent knife) currently on the list (mad scratch building in the offing later in the year)

These little guys right are good:

P1012218.jpg

They are metal so the grit doesnt ware off like it does on the plastic needle files, I think the set is maybe $5 or $6 at hobby lobby in the beading section, a few rows over from the modeling aisle.

An old mouse pad for working on delicate parts.

A cheapo sanding block.

I have a chunk of plywood approx 2" X 6" that I have double-face taped sandpaper on both sides. (You can also use spray-mount but it makes replacing the paper a difficult proposition)

I have 100 grit on one side and 150 on the other (gray 3M Fre-Cut dry paper). I know that sounds coarse but it's great for roughing parts and strip styrene.

A block of aluminum (approx 1 3/8" X 2" X 3/4") for a sanding block (acrylic works well too).

I wrap wet-or-dry paper around this (no tape or adhesive since I wear the paper out so quickly) for finer sanding.

My blade stash.

Most of the blades on the left were ground to shape either with a bench grinder or Dremel cutting wheel. The curved blades on the right were heated with a torch and bent, I made these for cutting registration keys in large RTV molds. Top right are stock exacto blades. Bottom right, those 2 larger metal pieces are old hacksaw blade, ground on a bench grinder, then on a fine belt sander. Great to have around, I use these for scraping edges. They also work great for scraping contours while lathe turning parts. Then there's my secret weapon, the little pink surgical blade. I've only used this for cutting open RTV molds (though I usually just use a #11 blade).

blades.jpg

A piece of double edged razorblade cut down with tin snips. This works great for cutting the tiny stuff such as buttons and switches or hex bolts (from hex stock). I've even made instrument panel gauges in 1/72 with this technique.

razor.jpg

Pin vises with various diameter needles, compass points, straight pins and hypodermic needles for riveting and panel lines

Belly.jpg

My 7X opti-visor so I can see. :bandhead2:

:cheers:

I'll join in with this very simple one to hold your large models during construction. Using a small shallow cardboard box, cover the edges with foam pipe wrap which are then covered with shop towels if you want an extra soft surface. This box elevates the model closer to your eyes during construction, is soft on the bottom so that nothing will scratch the plastic and it holds your model for painting or just plain storage.

Outboardwing7.jpg

Paint18.jpg

Here are a few:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - a lot less abrasive than Scotchbrite, these gentle abrasive sponges are great for smoothing/polishing puttied joints or mold lines on landing gear, tires, etc. Also for smoothing primer or paint that went on a little too rough.

Plastic sprue cut at various angles with small tabs of sandpaper superglued to the cut surface. These allow you to get into tight spots and provide enough leverage to apply gentle pressure for successful sanding.

Olfa Circle Cutter - the one I use is the inexpensive yellow plastic one that cuts up to approx. 20cm (8") diameter. I cut thin arcs from thin sheet plastic to make scribing arcs similar to the Hasegawa/Tritool ones, but allow an almost infinite range of curves to provide a perfect fit for your scribing project. If I need a more gradual ARC, I use dinner plates and frying pans as templates to cut plastic arcs.

Helping-hands with magnifying glass - you can pick these up at Harbor Freight Tools for like $2 on sale. Even if your eyesight is good (which mine are not), these are invaluable for seeing parts up close to check on alignment, painting details, and holding parts to free up your hands for other things.

Wooden clothespins - you can use them as-is to hold round parts such as bomb and fuel tank halves while the glue sets. Or, by turning the wooden parts inside-out, they make great clamps for flat pieces such as wing halves.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have mssed if this was said, but for me my Waldron punch set has been invaluable for all my builds. I seem to use it multiple times durring any build. I have a head magnifying visor as well that has saved me allot. I would love one of those magnifying lights one day. Last but not least, my Pasche airbrush........what a great piece of kit.

AGREED!!! Indespensible!! Old eyes don't work as well as they used to, Optivisor also GREAT for kids and Girlfrind to make fun of. Waldron punch (especially the sub-mini set) is the greatest thing since styrene. Cant make a decent panel without one.

• 7 months later...

3M Softback Sanding Sponge :thumbsup:

I love these things. Comes in Fine, Superfine, Ultrafine and MircoFine. I use all but the Fine. (too course)

Invaluablemodelingtools_1.jpg

Kind of pricey, a box of 20 will run you anywhere from $30 to $40.

Steven L :wave:

Another "tool" that is extremely useful is Plasti-Tak (blu-tack). Great for masking camo patterns. Put a little blob on the tip of a toothpick and you have an instant holder for small parts (extremely useful for painting).

Edited by mlicari
  • 4 months later...

Not sure if this counts as a tool or not, but I would have to say my wife. Being an invaluable asset to keep my carpet commandos, snot slingers, or the boy who just has know or ask a thousand and one questions while I'm trying to detail the cockpit at bay or by trying to keep the dreaded feline who has to pounce on the table while I went to the latrine or kitchen for more 'crew fuel'.

In my hobby area the two most important things are:

1. Low Heat Magnifying Lens with the built in light. Even though my eyes are still fairly young, the finer details like instrument panels, scratch building small parts, etc. are made so much easier using this very lamp:

lamp.jpg

and 2. Lamps, Lamps, Lamps... I have 6 different lamps set up and it's fairly hard to see any shadows on the work bench... makes it really helpful as well in taking pictures, but I've sometimes walked out of the 'den' thinking I got a nice summer tan.

As for specific tools or supplies that make my life easy and I wouldn't want to go on building without them are toothpicks. I use those suckers for everything from applying glue, pushing decals, fine painting (by cutting the tips really sharp with a knife), rubbing off paint, applying/pushing in masking tape to the hard to reach areas, and many many more things.

Cheers,

Mark.

HAHAHAHAHAH when i first seen that picture I thought you had a toilet seat strapped to the arm.

1. ) Files. Good, padded nail files. Go to a "beauty supply" store like a Sally's, and buy a bunch. They're about a dollar a piece, and they're some of the nicest files I've used. Hobby Lobby and other Hobby stores sell the same thing as "Hobby" files, and charge more. I also have a set of really fine "Swiss pattern" metal files that I love to death.

2.) Spray booth. I made mine out of a kitchen range hood and some corrugated plastic (like they use on signs.) It works great! I use it whenever I do anything especially smelly when modeling (cleaning stuff, resin casting, etc.)

3.) Hole punch. I bought one of the "rotating head" plier-type punches. They're mostly used for leather work, but it makes 6 different sized holes and works great for sheet plastic.

4.) Q-tips/pipe cleaners. You'll find a million uses.

5.) Plastic cups - Any time I need to mix something.

6.) Deck of old playing cards - make GREAT paint palletes, or for mixing small amounts of 5-minute epoxy. Use the plastic-coated ones.

7.) Aluminum foil. I use this as a barrier between super glue and everything else. Just rip off a little square, mold it to the bottom of a paint jar (where there's a nice little divot,) and you've got a great way to hold tiny amounts of super glue.

8.) Compass/dividers. I use these for scribing all the time.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Floral Foam and wooden meat skewers, make a cheap and super adjustable model stand

RF-104teaser.jpg

Just place the skewer in the holes that locate the gear then press it into the foam.

Steven L :wave:

ROFLMAO Snot slingers, AKA kids. The little ones who have runny noses that seem to get that stuff everywhere except on toilet paper where it belongs. I was almost in tears laughing so hard when you asked that question. Chock it up to western slang I guess everyone gets confused with it.

I don't know if this is a good resource, or tool or not. Maybe it's just funny. But arguing with my wife who knows absolutely nothing about modeling and even less about airplanes. Last night we got into it about weathering and she just couldn't understand why I would intentionally want to make my models look used and dirty instead of bright and shiny and brand new. Sometimes it's just good to banter with someone who has an unspoiled eye to keep your perspective.