Can I get your opinion?

These are some drawings that my brother and I drew up tonight. I would like to get your honest opinion about these.

Now, these are rough drawings drawn in about ten minutes. I want a straight up honest opinion. Would you buy these if they were real?

First up is one that my brother drew. The handle is a piston with the blade going through the piston rod.

017-10.jpg

Next up is a short blade knife with "teeth" on top and a long hook on the bottom. Excuse the band name on it. My brother is a fan of them.

016-10.jpg

This one has a brick pattern on the blade. More for show and tell than anything else. Obviously, the spikes on the handle will not be there. Maybe on the bottom where you can fit your fingers throught them.

015-9.jpg

This one is my favorite one out of the bunch. If you haven't guessed already, I'm a heavy matal fan. So is my brother, that's why he drew this one up. The blade would be seperate, but the "Heavy Metal" handle would be milled all in one.

It's still a very rough drawing that will be improved over time.

012-7.jpg

Here, we have a dragon- themed sword. Still, a very rough drawing that will be improved. You can see the horns, the eyes and nose, and also the mouth with another set of horns coming down, almost touching the blade. The tip has two prongs that curve in towards the blade. Also, the edge of the sword have small teeth set into the blade. The handle would probably be made out of wrapped leather. Honestly, it could be anything. We're still rough drawing. I know the blade is short, but the real one would have a blade about four feet long.

011-7.jpg

Edited by caudleryan

Next up, I drew some rough sketches of some machetes. Again, I would like to get your honest opinion on these.

008-9.jpg

007-12.jpg

005-13.jpg

004-13.jpg

This one would be a short blade knife.

010-9.jpg

Well, that's about it. Please. be honest. Would you buy these if they were real? Like I said, these are really rough drawings.

They might be changed a little from the rough sketch. Thank you for looking.

RYAN.

EDIT: If these are made, they will be of the highest quality. We just need your honest opinion on the basic shapes.

Edited by caudleryan

Could be good bottle openers, of very high quality. That brick looking one could open two bottles at once... maybe you could market that idea. Maybe alter it so one end opens two bottles and then the other end opens three bottles... that way even bottled orders and odd bottled orders are easily handled.

Edited by ElectricSideBurns

I wouldn't. I'm a bit ofa "Less is more" type when it comes to art.

I think you're putting so much extra stuff on the design that the object is being lost in the details. It's hard to know where to focus my eyes first on most of these designs.

It's like when I look at a model of an aircraft where the modeler has opened all the access hatches, the artist has done so much that the core object is lost. A bit of extra detail is OK, but there is a point where it starts to work against you.

I remember when I was in art school and we got our hands on Photoshop for the first time; we went nuts, had a blast and learned just how easy it is to go overboard. Our instructors hammered self control into us.

But they would have to be full tang, heavy duty and built like tanks. They are perfect for killing zombies at close quarters.

If the zombies are like the ones I ran into in Fallout-3 yesterday, I find a double-barrelled shotgun (which in the Point Lookout pack are meaner than flipping plasma rifles, for pity's sake) does them simply and painlessly. Well, for the shooter, anyway.

Re knives, assuming these are for hanging on the wall or posing with, not my kind of thing. With the possible exception of a Riddick Claw (the film/manga/game was fun) or a kukri (looks imposing), not that interested in knives, unless they've a direct purpose.

If these were to be made, they would only be for looks. You know, people who like to collect wierd blades and knives.

We will also make functional knives, too. Not just these. One thing to remember, though. These are only very rough drawings. They will be refined and improved upon. So the designs you see here may not be what the final piece will look. like. The drawings of the machetes would be fully functional, though. Me and my brother are just getting an idea of if there would be some type of market for them. I really appreciate all of your feedback. If you have any suggestions, we would like to hear from you.

RYAN.

Re knives, assuming these are for hanging on the wall or posing with, not my kind of thing. With the possible exception of a Riddick Claw (the film/manga/game was fun) or a kukri (looks imposing),

Yes, we would be making blades like that. We probably won't call them "Riddick" blades and the likes. We don't want to infringe on copyright laws. We would be making all kinds of swords, knives, mideival- themed, stuff for all kinds of

interests.

RYAN.

Not I.

But, something you need to think about before feeling too shot down, you're asking mainly modelers that display plastic art. I know it sounds silly, but I'd go to one of those sword stores in the mall. They're filled with that sort of stuff and they seem to stay in business (who the heck is buying all these swords? LOL ).

Something folks might buy:

A guy I used to know was a machinist, and he used to turn regular lock blade Buck knives into switchblades. I have no idea of how to do something like that, but he was able to without adding anything (as far as extra width, etc) other than the button to the outside of the knife.

John

If the zombies are like the ones I ran into in Fallout-3 yesterday, I find a double-barrelled shotgun (which in the Point Lookout pack are meaner than flipping plasma rifles, for pity's sake) does them simply and painlessly. Well, for the shooter, anyway.

ZOMBIE 101

Zombies feel no pain, as we know it, since their functioning higher brain is "dead." The nerve impulses that signal pain to us don't matter to them - only the most rudimentary brain activity exists, that required to ambulate their rotting bodies. The nervous activity we associate with pain is absent.

Pain, injury and the experience we learn from these traumas have taught mankind how to survive and are one of our greatest assets.

Zombies, on the other hand, with no nerve impulses telling a cognitive brain what is happening to them, don't know they are even hurt.

Broken, shattered and suffering from wounds that would incapacitate a living human, ghouls will just keep on coming.

Experience, shows that shotguns, cannon, even flamethrowers won't phase them UNLESS a crushing, catastrophic blow to what is left of the brain is delivered. 00 buck shot, the traditional anti-personnel shotgun round, is meaningless to a shambling corpse.

All this means that only direct head shots count - which is especially hard to do when howling, putrid monsters are clawing at your flesh.

Worse, shotguns disperse their projectiles soon after leaving the barrel. This is helpful when dealing with living humans, but it makes killing head shots on zombies very difficult at best, even at dangerously close ranges. Shotguns loaded with shot may knock out a knee, but the zombie wont stop: it will only pull and claw itself forward, trying to gnaw the flesh from your bones. They dont stop, ever.

Slugs to the head is about all that matters when ghastly ghouls face off against shotguns.

But the the worst thing about guns is that, while the right ones are useful under the right circumstances, they are all LOUD. They signal to every zombie within earshot that dinner is served....

Did you know zombies have excellent hearing? Imagine an urban center overflowing with sharp-eared, shambling creatures waiting for the least sound to signal that living prey is near.

Firearms will clear the immediate threats, yes, if you are a steady shot. And they are comforting to use.

But setting them off anywhere except in the remotest of locations will attract swarms of the undead eager to rip your guts out and feast upon them.

Since only damaging the brain will permanently stop a zombie, long knives and machetes are ideal close quarters zombie weapons, IF they are designed right and strong enough. A quick piercing stab into the skull cavity with a 7-8" knife blade does the trick nicely. Likewise, sharp, machete blows straight through the skull is a great trick. The machete also stands a chance of decapitating most zombies.

WARNING: Lopping off the head does NOT kill the undead; the head can go on biting and INFECTING the living - long after it leaves the body. But it does effectively neutralize the creature's mobility, by severing the spine at the neck. A halted, chomping zombie is better than an upright one lurching toward you. Just be careful not to step anywhere near that toothy skull bucket.

These weapons are also light enough so that you are not exhausted using them. Ideally you will never get close enough to zombies to need weapons like the "trench knife" and spike-ended machete. But they are just what is needed if you have dropped your guard, and the ghouls have gotten too close and personal. They have been considered top anti-zombie weapons for a long time.

Edited by dahut
ZOMBIE 101

Ah, I like your reasoning and stand corrected, sir. I do note the zombie grenade in Left For Dead 2 abides by these rules - it beeps loudly and hence attracts hordes of the undead before realising its primary function. Very good if thrown in a direction unrelated to one's desired destination :deadhorse1:

Patrick