hi everyone

My name is Oliver and i usually hang out in the helo sction since I am building a Medevac Huey with brass.

Someone was having questions about doing washes so I took the time to post few photos to help. Ihope that this help someone else too.

Oliver

001-6.jpg

003-2.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024-1.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

Edited by shark 64

I usually use enamels diluted in mineral spirits for this, but someone gave me tubes of Daler-Rowney Georgian Oil Colors as a gift. However, I tried to use them like I would enamel paint and used mineral spirits to thin them (the instructions in the box said "low odor thinners" would work for thinning). The result was they never seemed to dry, just got gummy.

Is this because I used mineral spirits instead of turpentine/turpenoid or could it have been something else, like a bad batch or a reaction to the underlying paint?

Edited by dmk0210
I usually use enamels diluted in mineral spirits for this, but someone gave me tubes of Daler-Rowney Georgian Oil Colors as a gift. However, I tried to use them like I would enamel paint and used mineral spirits to thin them (the instructions in the box said "low odor thinners" would work for thinning). The result was they never seemed to dry, just got gummy.

Is this because I used mineral spirits instead of turpentine/turpenoid or could it have been something else, like a bad batch or a reaction to the underlying paint?

your oilwas

I assume you re applying your wash on acrylic paint and not oil based???

I would stay away for mineral spirits it might be too strong to use for the underlying paint.

There are several ways to do washes. if you are concerned with the reaction you might want to consider doing washes with water paint only. I have always used Oil paints and Turpenoid and never had any issues. I only paint with Tamiya Acrylics.

Good Luck.

Oliver

I assume you re applying your wash on acrylic paint and not oil based???
It was enamel underneath. However, the paint had been dry at least a month.

I'm not a fan of acrylics, and certainly not for washes. It doesn't flow as well.

Edited by dmk0210

OK, I work mainly in ModelMaster enamels and want to do oil washes but I'm worried the turps will disturb my paint. If i seal them with an acrylic clear, will it protect my base layer? I have a bunch of resin bits that need a weathering wash to be ready to put into my A-7E and I'd really rather NOT screw them up.

PS. Is there anyone that makes a clear acrylic gloss in a rattlecan?

Krylon does. Gloss and Satin

I use the Krylon line of rattle cans exclusively and they are fantastic! The clear gloss works extreamly well and I find that for a fraction of other cans, these are superior paints.

@ Oliver

nice job and thanks for the pics. I am going to have to cruise over and see your helo build

Brent

Hi Oliver,

I really enjoy your posts on the Huey on master194. Just 1 question regarding your washes: Is step #1 really useful ? It seems that all your paint is washed out :huh: I personally never pre-shade in this case.

Thanks

antoine

OK, I work mainly in ModelMaster enamels and want to do oil washes but I'm worried the turps will disturb my paint. If i seal them with an acrylic clear, will it protect my base layer?

Yes, it will. I routinely apply oil wash --> Future -- > ModelMaster enamel, and I've never had a problem.

Hi Oliver,

I really enjoy your posts on the Huey on master194. Just 1 question regarding your washes: Is step #1 really useful ? It seems that all your paint is washed out :cheers: I personally never pre-shade in this case.

Thanks

antoine

Hi Antoine.

Glad to see friends from Master 194 on this site. Its only a choice to preshade. You may not see it in the photos but it does add a little more to the effect. Remember the engine is not painted at all. This wash work was just to show the process to one of the guys on the helo forum.

Oliver

Hi Antoine.

Glad to see friends from Master 194 on this site. Its only a choice to preshade. You may not see it in the photos but it does add a little more to the effect. Remember the engine is not painted at all. This wash work was just to show the process to one of the guys on the helo forum.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver!

Keep up with the excellent work of yours!

antoine

• 2 months later...