CP-107 Argus

From the Canadian Colour Guide at the IPMS Buzz Buerling site it's Grey 201-103.

When this colour weathered, 'the green tint was the first thing to go' - thus resulting in a more bluish-grey appearence..'. There are two ways to replicate this colour. Tamyia acrylic's XF-12 (IJN Grey) is a very good 'slightly weathered' 501-109 OR you can mix RAF 'Sky' and FS35237, approximately 50/50. Examples of it's use are: the lower surfaces of the CC-129 Dakota, CP-107 Argus and the initial CP-140 scheme, the overall colour of the post unification CP-121 Tracker & the CH-124A Sea King, plus the wing underside on non-camouflaged CF-104. Although the overall colour of HMC surface warships, compare this shade with the 501-109 in the Maritime colour section.

Cheers,

Sean

I have this paint mix and I believe I got it from the old Argus Hobby Shop in Winnipeg;

all Humbrol colours

#2 Gloss Emerald Green----2 drops

#15 Gloss Midnight Blue----2 drops

#22 Gloss White------------85 drops

#40 Gloss Light Grey-------60 drops

it also says for larger A/C--Argus/Aurora---you will need 8-10 times the amount

--for smaller A/C--Tracker Sea King---you need 3-5 times the amount

Cheers, Tony

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the Argus aircraft I saw in the 70s had the White over Gray finish. The undernose radome was shiny black. 

I think the gray was similar to ADC Gray, although the Gray used on the Canadian F-101s may be the same color.

Don, the Canadian MARPAT grey as seen on their Sea King, Tracker, Neptune, Argus, and early Aurora colour schemes was not ADC or Voodoo grey.  It had a distinct blueish-green hue to it.  Follow the mixing plan above by Snowbird 3.  Although, many, many moons ago I broke the rule and used whatever lt grey the model shop had to make my own CP-140 Aurora.

Edited by Dutch
On 11/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, Dutch said:

Don, the Canadian MARPAT grey as seen on their Sea King, Tracker, Neptune, Argus, and early Aurora colour schemes was not ADC or Voodoo grey.  It had a distinct blueish-green hue to it.  Follow the mixing plan above by Snowbird 3.  Although, many, many moons ago I broke the rule and used whatever lt grey the model shop had to make my own CP-140 Aurora.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that odd greenish-blue color. It always amazed me the ASW work those guys could do in the 1970s with that old platform with old electronics.

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2010 at 7:55 PM, riffraff said:

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I am going to have to earn this one, instead of just opening a tin.

Cheers, Lee

Lee,

Did you ever start building / finish your Argus?  Would love to share ideas and pics.

K/r,

Dutch

On 10/31/2018 at 12:47 PM, Dutch said:

Very helpful. Thanks!

BTW, Neil Gaunt of Transport Wings (UK) has announced a 1/72 CP-107 Argus conversion for the recently released Mach 2 1/72 Bristol Britannia. Now we just need some decals!

R/

Dutch

Decals are available through Belcher Bits, they are working together on this.

http://www.belcherbits.com/images/decals/bd34combo.pdf

On 9/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, Dutch said:

Scooby, Yes I have not mentioned the Belcher Bits decals which have been available since January 2020. Thanks for keeping me straight. K/r,  Dutch 

The conversion set is complete and has shipped to Hannants.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

If anyone is interested to discuss the Argus, the blog was mine. The aircraft were originally bare metal. They were corroding too quickly so by about 1960 they were painted a light Blue grey. By late 1960s they were painted FS 501-109 blue grey. You can reach me at planesandtrains@gmail.com if interested. I just ordered 3 Mach 2 Brittanias but I can't fine the AIM conversion kits (of course...late to the party). I sent AIM an e-mail. We will see what happens.   For the interested, I have illustrated the Argus book by Baker/Campbell too.   Cheers! Rob

On 1/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, Rob Arsenault said:

If anyone is interested to discuss the Argus, the blog was mine. The aircraft were originally bare metal. They were corroding too quickly so by about 1960 they were painted a light Blue grey. By late 1960s they were painted FS 501-109 blue grey. You can reach me at planesandtrains@gmail.com if interested. I just ordered 3 Mach 2 Brittanias but I can't fine the AIM conversion kits (of course...late to the party). I sent AIM an e-mail. We will see what happens.   For the interested, I have illustrated the Argus book by Baker/Campbell too.   Cheers! Rob

The National Film Board has a film on the development and construction of the first Argus aircraft. I can get it free on my smart TV, rather old film but great footage and information on the first aircraft coming off the production line.