F-4 VF-84 " Jolly Rogers " decals question

Hello guys, I'm interested in building a Phantom in 1:48 scale. I'm hardly searching a VF-84 " Jolly Rogers " decals sheet. Except the Superscale item # 48-847 decal sheet ( that is unluckyly sold out everywhere :whistle: ) I did'nt find some other item similar. Does anybody knows if any other manufactures has this decals on its catalogues? Please let me know.....

What's your opinion of the F-4 dry transfer decals? They look good except I didn't get a good look at them online. Are all of them dry transfer?

OPPS!...scratch that. I didn't scroll down far enough...LOL...

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by pminer

I haven't seen the VF-84 F-4J decals, but their 1/48 RN Phantom decals were only mediocre, given the price they're asking. They didn't do very much homework on them, and there are a number of things about them that are just wrong. In my mind, that makes anything they do suspect, and subject to very close inspection and comparison to photos of the exact subject aircraft to make sure they didn't boo-boo up again.

As for the decals themselves, I'd probably end up applying the dry transfers to clear decal film and applying that to the model. It's way too risky to be trying to apply large decals to a large, lumpy-bumpy model using only dry transfers. Somebody might be able to pull it off, but not me. I've never really understood the allure of dry transfers. They're *very* unforgiving.

J

Edited by Jennings
Hello guys, I'm interested in building a Phantom in 1:48 scale. I'm hardly searching a VF-84 " Jolly Rogers " decals sheet. Except the Superscale item # 48-847 decal sheet ( that is unluckyly sold out everywhere :) ) I did'nt find some other item similar. Does anybody knows if any other manufactures has this decals on its catalogues? Please let me know.....

The Superscale sheet you referenced is for an F-4B. I don't know if you want an F-4B/N/J but Hasegawa's original F-4J release comes with VF-84 markings and they also released an F-4B/N with VF-84 decals. Maybe you can find someone with those kits that didn't use the decals that is willing to sell/trade is your best bet right now if you don't want to use the dry transfer ones mentioned by the other guys. You can try posting in the spares box section for the Hasegawa kit decals.

As for the decals themselves, I'd probably end up applying the dry transfers to clear decal film and applying that to the model. It's way too risky to be trying to apply large decals to a large, lumpy-bumpy model using only dry transfers. Somebody might be able to pull it off, but not me. I've never really understood the allure of dry transfers. They're *very* unforgiving.

J

Unfortunately I don't have a laser printer.......By my opinion it a risk to apply tranfers directly to the model.

The Superscale sheet you referenced is for an F-4B. I don't know if you want an F-4B/N/J but Hasegawa's original F-4J release comes with VF-84 markings and they also released an F-4B/N with VF-84 decals. Maybe you can find someone with those kits that didn't use the decals that is willing to sell/trade is your best bet right now if you don't want to use the dry transfer ones mentioned by the other guys. You can try posting in the spares box section for the Hasegawa kit decals.

Yes, I now that I can found this decals included in the Hasegawa kits, but they' re almost unavaible at my favourite shops. I will try to post my request in the spares box section....maybe ( I hope so!) somebody has them.

Thank you for all the answers!!

Unfortunately I don't have a laser printer.......By my opinion it a risk to apply tranfers directly to the model.

You don't need a laser printer. You simply apply the dry transfers to the clear decal film just like you would apply them to the model, then cut them out and apply them as a normal (and much more forgiving of mistakes) decal.

J