1/48 Tornado Kits

Hi all

We had this thread a while back and there was some great input but I think I'm still unsure which kit I should get started with. I've got Tornado fever right now pretty bad. The only one I've ever built was the Hasegawa 1/72 offering. I know I want to do 1/48 and I want dropped slats and flaps. I know the Italeri kit will require work to do this and I'm fine with that, but I just can't find the resin anywhere...even Hannant's. It seems the general consensus was the Italeri kit was superior

but when I look at it, the HB kit seems to fit my needs and the extra goodies are much more readily avaiable. On the other hand I already have the Italeri kit...and...I'm so confused! Somebody help! Maybe just a quick re-cap of pros/con?

Sorry for the rambling post. Any guidance is much appreciated..

Aaron

You can find builds of both the Hobby Boss and Italeri in the Desert Storm group build.

Here is the link to the Italeri build.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=220947

Here is the link to the Hobby Boss build. He is building two Tornado kits in this build.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=220557

The resin bit's you can get from Dave Parkins directly & is much cheaper than going thru Hannants ect (£32 as opposed to £37 from Hannants... :D )

Flightpath Tornado set at Hannants

Flightpath detail set at Dave Parkins

As to what's wrong with the Hobbyboss kit,look at what Jonners had to do to correct it...

Jonner Hobbyboss Tornad build,

Wheras basically all you have to do with the Italeria kit is reprofile the front fin fillet between the spine & the air scoop. (the's a resin correction for this) & adjust the nose profile if you need to.

As an ex-RAF Tornado armourer,the Italari kit is far more correct in profile to my eye's than the HB one.

rant on...

Oh,& one final thing..the Undercarraige & wheel bays on ALL Tornado's is,always has been,always will be,GRAY!! Not white,never has been,never will be! Despite what the instructions say...(sorry,it's bug bear with me.I've seen so many great Tornado builds spoilt by white undercarraige.."but the instructions say it's white!" WRONG!! I've crawled over,under,thru enough Tornado's to know they are NOT WHITE!!.............

rant off.....

Whooosahhhhh.....

Thanks, everyone, for all of the links and info to help get me started. I've cooled off since my manic post and am calmly proceeding with my Italeri ECR. Maybe I'll see you guys over in the In-Progress Forum one of these days.

Thanks, spike7451 on the info on obtaining the resin directly. I wasn't aware that was an option.

Thanks again and happy modelling!

Aaron

Thanks, everyone, for all of the links and info to help get me started. I've cooled off since my manic post and am calmly proceeding with my Italeri ECR. Maybe I'll see you guys over in the In-Progress Forum one of these days.

Thanks, spike7451 on the info on obtaining the resin directly. I wasn't aware that was an option.

Thanks again and happy modelling!

Aaron

No probs,If you have any questions on the Tornado,feel free to ask.I was a Tornado Armourer in the RAF for a few years.I also have a sticky HERE you may find useful.

Merv

Wow, Merv! Those are some great pics. I do have a question for you as a matter of fact. I noticed in your pics the Tornados that were parked did not have dropped slats and flaps. Is this how they normally are when they're parked? I wanted to do dropped slats/flaps for my build, but maybe it's not necessary?

Thanks

Aaron

Wow, Merv! Those are some great pics. I do have a question for you as a matter of fact. I noticed in your pics the Tornados that were parked did not have dropped slats and flaps. Is this how they normally are when they're parked? I wanted to do dropped slats/flaps for my build, but maybe it's not necessary?

Thanks

Aaron

It depends,it's harder to work around the jet in a Hardened Aircraft Shelter environment so in a lot of cases,certainly in Germany at Bruggen,they were slats up 90% of the time.

It's an age old question no one fully knows the answer to so my guess is it's down to the squadron how they park the jets.Dropped boards are more common on the flightline nowerdays so in reality,it really doesn't matter if they are up or down.

i build the Italeri offering..

is a WIP now

pretty challenging kit for a beginner like me.

progress can be viewed HERE

kuman

Kuman,

Couple of things,the weapons you have labeled as BL755's are in fact 1000lb free fall bombs with a poor representation of a Mk901 Retarded tail unit.The tail unit should be painted a green such as Humbrol Black Green (Humbrol 91)

Undercarriage & bays should be a light gray,NOT white as often shown in the instructions (They have never been white!)

BOZ 107 pod is only fitted to the starboard (right) & Skyshadow to port (left) as only these pylons are wired for the respective pods.

Other than that,looking quite good.

Kuman,

Couple of things,the weapons you have labeled as BL755's are in fact 1000lb free fall bombs with a poor representation of a Mk901 Retarded tail unit.The tail unit should be painted a green such as Humbrol Black Green (Humbrol 91)

Undercarriage & bays should be a light gray,NOT white as often shown in the instructions (They have never been white!)

BOZ 107 pod is only fitted to the starboard (right) & Skyshadow to port (left) as only these pylons are wired for the respective pods.

Other than that,looking quite good.

Spike,

Thanks for the correction.... :pray: i'll edit it momentarily so that other dont get confused over it like i did...

as for the undercarriage, i already painted light gray as i think i saw it in another forum someone suggesting to use Light Gray.

Noted on the location of the BOZ and Skyshadow... at first i thought they are interchangeable. thanks again... :)

kuman

Weren't Skyshadows carried on both outer wing pylons early in the service life of the Tornado, before the BOZ pod became available?

Cheers,

Andre

Weren't Skyshadows carried on both outer wing pylons early in the service life of the Tornado, before the BOZ pod became available?

Cheers,

Andre

Only on test aircraft,& that was a camera pod or as ballast.