This will be my entry, the Testors 48th kit to make a CF-18AM from 425 Squadron using Leading Edge decals. It will be in-flight with 3 tanks, 2 live Sidewinders and 2 live Sparrows. I have not decided if the Sparrows will be on the fuselage or on the outside wing pylons.

It will be similar to one of these jets in a photo from the Canadian Air Force website

DSC_5421_r.jpg

I have done some basic work - made the hole for the spotlight, and hope to use the nose glass piece of a Maverick missile. I also sawed off the 2 ficticious boxes that Testors molded onto the rear cockpit deck. The missiles are from an Academy F-15C kit.

DSC_5420_r.jpg

Ken

Great choice of subject. I may be somewhat biased, but I always like to see Eastern-based squadrons done up (or European-based ones).

For the AIM 7s, I suggest the fuselage stations. I've never seen them mounted on the outboard wings with empty fuselage stations - it makes more sense to have them on 4 and 6. But then again, it is your model...

With a 2 x 2 load, and 3 tanks, this aircraft could very well represent a NORAD alert aircraft on a live mission.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

ALF

Ken

Great choice of subject. I may be somewhat biased, but I always like to see Eastern-based squadrons done up (or European-based ones).

For the AIM 7s, I suggest the fuselage stations. I've never seen them mounted on the outboard wings with empty fuselage stations - it makes more sense to have them on 4 and 6. But then again, it is your model...

With a 2 x 2 load, and 3 tanks, this aircraft could very well represent a NORAD alert aircraft on a live mission.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

ALF

thanks ALF! You've been quite helpful and naturally I have been itching to do a CF-18 for a long time, especially in a NORAD config

I was debating on doing the outer pylons after seeing these large shots of 441 jets on the CAF site

http://www.airforceimagery.forces.gc.ca/ne...talog=casimages

I went back to see if anything was on the fuselage stations, and there is on the left one

Opinions? The fuselage station pieces in the kit are sort of exaggerated, or have the mounting pylon molded for the pod already, and I have not test fitted the AIM-7 to it

thanks

Ken

Ken

Great pics - I hadn't seen those. It is unusual to see Sparrows on the outboard pylons without any on the fuselage stations, but I stand corrected - it is not unheard of!

The pod in those pics is the Nighthawk B FLIR pod. I think the kit may have that pod - I do recall it has the large mount for the FLIR pod moulded into the fuselage already.

The AM version of the CF-18 can be fitted with the Nighthawk pod, or now with the Sniper pod. I picked up a couple Sniper pods - one in 1/48, and the other in 1/32. I can't remember where I got both, but I remember one came from SHull. The mounting part is virtually identical (well, close enough for my purposes anyway) between the Nighthawk and Sniper. Both types of pod can only be mounted on station 4 (left fuselage), due to the cooling connections it contains.

If you do choose to mount these missiles outboard (and I think they look cool there too), have a good look at the mounting hardware. It is subtly different from the USN mounts for AIM 7s on those stations. If you look at my big build on LSP you'll see some pics of Canadian vs USN mounts, and how I used the Academy 1/32 kit pieces to make it look OK. I'm afraid I don't know much about the kit parts for the one you're making.

LSP link (about halfway down the page): http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...mp;#entry191513

ALF

Ken

Great pics - I hadn't seen those. It is unusual to see Sparrows on the outboard pylons without any on the fuselage stations, but I stand corrected - it is not unheard of!

The pod in those pics is the Nighthawk B FLIR pod. I think the kit may have that pod - I do recall it has the large mount for the FLIR pod moulded into the fuselage already.

The AM version of the CF-18 can be fitted with the Nighthawk pod, or now with the Sniper pod. I picked up a couple Sniper pods - one in 1/48, and the other in 1/32. I can't remember where I got both, but I remember one came from SHull. The mounting part is virtually identical (well, close enough for my purposes anyway) between the Nighthawk and Sniper. Both types of pod can only be mounted on station 4 (left fuselage), due to the cooling connections it contains.

If you do choose to mount these missiles outboard (and I think they look cool there too), have a good look at the mounting hardware. It is subtly different from the USN mounts for AIM 7s on those stations. If you look at my big build on LSP you'll see some pics of Canadian vs USN mounts, and how I used the Academy 1/32 kit pieces to make it look OK. I'm afraid I don't know much about the kit parts for the one you're making.

LSP link (about halfway down the page): http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...mp;#entry191513

ALF

Hey ALF - I had thought about maybe putting a Sniper on there. I have a couple from a Kinetic F-16 kit, and from the latest Academy F-15C MSIP release. But will probably end up saving those.

And thanks for the info on the mounting hardware - looks like you needed to leave off the smaller rail, that looks like an adapter of sorts?

The ones in the kit are actually for HARMS, so I don't know their accuracy for AIM-7s, and will inspect them. So that alone may dictate they end up going on the fuselage stations. I won't go crazy regardless of where they are mounted.

thanks for your help,

Cheers

Ken

I installed the 7/16th inch brass tube for the inflight pose, and secured with 5 minute epoxy. The tube on the left has burnt stuff on it because I tape the fuselage halves together, and then heat the tube with a candle, and press through the nozzle area to make the openings

Now that the tubes are installed, I can move forward

DSC_5425_r.jpg

DSC_5430_r.jpg

Looking good Ken!

btw, what does the 'AM' in CF-18AM stand for?

The upgraded CF-18s have been called CF-18AM and CF-18BM - the M stands for Modified, while the A and B are single and dual seat versions.

They can also be called CF-18A+ and CF-18B+.

In other words, they aren't quite C or D versions, but they are significantly upgraded from the A and B.

I echo your sentiments - nice solid mounting for the in-flight pose.

ALF

Splitting the diff and going one on each would actually bring you pretty much right up to date:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54978852@N04/...1/in/pool-cf-18

Note the Sniper, and the non-Winder known as the FACE pod on the right wingtip.

Nerd - thanks for the info and link. Ironically, on Flickr, I had that image already saved as a favorite :)

time for an update.....

here it is looking like a new CF-18 UAV

the plastic strips filling the wing root gap need be trimmed of course. The clear support rods are not the ones I will be using - they are spare ones that I got too close with the heat gun and they bubbled. The tail/fuselage seam needs to be filled a bit, and the tail braces added as well

DSC_5454_r.jpg

DSC_5455_r.jpg

DSC_5456_r.jpg

then I moved onto trying to figure out how to do the spotlight

I used a cut-off piece of an F-15 tail hook fairing as a backing, and then glued 2 small round pieces of clear lens. The backing piece is temporarily placed

DSC_5458_r.jpg

this pic shows the light just dropped in for the photo

DSC_5459_r.jpg

So, the question to you guys is... suggestions on making a clear cover the light, and then masking it for painting, or adding it somehow after it is painted? Any suggestions are greatly welcomed - thanks