thanks Tilt! Do you usually have the spotlight cover as part of the kit you are using, or have had to make your own?

The little plastic/glass piece that comes in the hasegawa kit is what I use on the outside. However, I scratchbuild the lens in behind the glass. To try and make it look like the real thing. The real one is an actual light bulb behind a glass cover.

The little plastic/glass piece that comes in the hasegawa kit is what I use on the outside. However, I scratchbuild the lens in behind the glass. To try and make it look like the real thing. The real one is an actual light bulb behind a glass cover.

thanks for the info Tilt

asking Tilt about the Hasegawa kit made me check my F/A-18C, and I could see the circlular, thinner plastic on the left fuselage piece. I then checked the clear sprue and there was the light cover that goes flush with the fuselage. It also looked like the light itself, and these parts are marked as not to be used in the instructions. I didn't see any structure that goes behind to hold the light - not a big deal.

I had to make the hole slightly larger and it popped right in, secured with Microscale Kristal Klear. I will have some pics tomorrow hopefully.

thanks Tilt for the brainstorm!

here's the forward fuselage with the cockpit partially done, and the blade antennas added

DSC_5484_r.jpg

and the forward part attached. Seam cleanup is still needed. With a pilot and closed canopy, I won't be super detailing the cockpit. I did take a panel decal from Revell's F/A-18E that shows a color display, and put that on the bottom screen, and painted the top ones green. I am still working on the seat and pilot. Testors cockpit sits too low, and I had to add some plastic to the bottom of the seat to raise it up.

DSC_5493_r.jpg

DSC_5494_r.jpg

DSC_5495_r.jpg

I also test fitted a Sparrow to the fuselage station, and won't fit because of the way the station is made. So they will be going on the outer pylons

thanks for looking

Ken

Coming along nicely Ken! One thing though (and I might be wrong), but a Hornet with the "bird slicers" would almost certainly have the swept back antennae on the spine and the rear of the front gear door.

I just so happen to have a pic of same from a world renowned aviation photographer here: :lol:

http://www.kenmiddleton.net/real_aviation/...eb_DSC_7292.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3
Coming along nicely Ken! One thing though (and I might be wrong), but a Hornet with the "bird slicers" would almost certainly have the swept back antennae on the spine and the rear of the front gear door.

I just so happen to have a pic of same from a world renowned aviation photographer here: :P

http://www.kenmiddleton.net/real_aviation/...eb_DSC_7292.jpg

thank you Chuck! Of course you are correct - I will be chopping the top fuselage one off before painting, and will add a new, swept one afterwards, as well as add one by the right side of the nose gear - like the pic below

"world renowned" - you are way too kind!

this will no way even be close to the materpiece you just finished

3453461521_ccf9575529_o.jpg

Looks great Ken. Anyone that can take that kit and put that much effort into it deserves a medal.

As for the Sparrow/AAMRAM adapter for the underwing pylons, they are included in the new Hasegawa modern aircraft weapons set. LAU-115A is what you need. If you get that set, you can also use the Sniper pod

Looks great Ken. Anyone that can take that kit and put that much effort into it deserves a medal.

As for the Sparrow/AAMRAM adapter for the underwing pylons, they are included in the new Hasegawa modern aircraft weapons set. LAU-115A is what you need. If you get that set, you can also use the Sniper pod

thanks Charlie, and thanks for the info on the launcher rail. I have the rails from the Hasegawa F-16CJ for the HARMS. I wonder if they are the same used for the Sparrow?

thanks Charlie, and thanks for the info on the launcher rail. I have the rails from the Hasegawa F-16CJ for the HARMS. I wonder if they are the same used for the Sparrow?

From what I know Ken, the Sparrows mount directly to the bottom of the LAU-115A/C. I may have some reference pics on my workshop pc from my 1/32 Hornet build, I'll have a look and see later. Ill also scan the kit instructions as well that shows how it goes together.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Thats one of the pictures I used for reference of the LAU-115, just noticed now that its mounted on a Super Hornet, and not a Legacy, the adapter (spacer) may not be needed for the Sparrow mounted on a LAU-115/Legacy Hornet pylon. I did use the spacer on the opposite wing though for the LAU-115 fitted with the dual sidewinder rails. The HARM was not used by the CAF so the LAU-118 wouldnt be in our inventory. I looked at the Academy instrution sheet, and it wasn't much help, just showed how to put the LAU-115 together, and assemble it with the dual LAU-127 Sidewinder/AAMRAM rails, but did not show how to mount the Sparrow. If you like, I can take measurements of the 1/32 parts if you wanted to scratch build some of your own in 1/48

Here's the real deal...

164583_10150127306124602_632169601_7860346_3904665_n.jpg

And my 1/32 interpretation, I simply used pins to mount the missile bodies to the rails. Dan (Alf18) could maybe shed some more light on how exactly these were mounted.

167802_10150127292544602_632169601_7860205_926369_n.jpg

167045_10150127291454602_632169601_7860198_6466247_n.jpg

163596_10150127291954602_632169601_7860201_5710226_n.jpg

Ken,

Great work. I've never built the Testors kit but I've heard some nasty stories about it. Looks like you're making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Keep it up!

Mike