yes, they are there, perhaps not as high. I have a pic on my PC that shows them, but a bit lower in height. I don't know if they raise and lower, or not. I thought the pic was from the ARC walkaround section, but I cannot find it there

Those vents - they are to relieve air pressure in the supersonic flight regime from the intakes. Normally, they are down flush with the aircraft. Accelerating though Mach 1.33 they open up to where they are on this kit, and remain open until the Mach drops below 1.22 again. We check them on test flights to make sure they open and close at the right speeds. If memory serves me correctly, they are called Duct Doors.

ALF

Looking good Ken.

thanks Wayne

Those vents - they are to relieve air pressure in the supersonic flight regime from the intakes. Normally, they are down flush with the aircraft. Accelerating though Mach 1.33 they open up to where they are on this kit, and remain open until the Mach drops below 1.22 again. We check them on test flights to make sure they open and close at the right speeds. If memory serves me correctly, they are called Duct Doors.

ALF

thanks for the info ALF!

Hi Ken!

Nice build so far, a question though where do you get those clear rods supporting the jet? A local store or is there someplace on-line? I am thinking of doing the 2003 TigerMeet CF-18, or 2009 Demo Bird with a HobbyBoss kit I have and it is going to be gear up.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Ken!

Nice build so far, a question though where do you get those clear rods supporting the jet? A local store or is there someplace on-line? I am thinking of doing the 2003 TigerMeet CF-18, or 2009 Demo Bird with a HobbyBoss kit I have and it is going to be gear up.

Thanks in advance

Mark

thanks Mark!

Here's an article I did on the bases and rods

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt161-...ddleton/00.shtm

But to answer your question directly, I have used www.plastruct.com and Tap Plastics http://www.tapplastics.com . Lately, I use Tap Plastics as their bulk prices are much cheaper than plastruct.com based on the large amount of the acrylic rods I have been using. Both are good quality though.

I have seen very few hobby shops carry the acrylic rod.

For the brass tube for the Hornets, I use 1/2 brass tube, which usually can be found at the hobby shop. I use 7/16 acrylic rod for the Hornets.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, 758 is done!

Had some real challenges with the Leading Edge decals. They didn't want to conform very well, and a couple of the nose numbers split when sliding them off the backing paper. I didn't even bother with most of the stencils after the experience I had, and because I was really going to dirty it up. I was afraid the stencils would all come loose. In certain lighting, the decals that are on there have some silvering.

When removing the canopy masking, the canopy pulled off, including some surrounding paint. I had to reattach the canopy and touch up the paint.

I kept the radome completely clean - and accidently knocked it off after painting and before weathering, so it was out of the way. It reattached nicely, too.

Some of the weathering really stuck and I had to use fine wet/dry sandpaper to get some of it off. I used some black craft paint thinned with Testors acrylic thinner.

Two Bobs decals are on the AIM-9s and AIM-7s. Walkway decals are from a MAW Decals Hornet sheet.

Thanks to all for your help and encouragement! I finally built a CF-18.

Cheers

Ken

DSC_5598_r.jpg

DSC_5610_r.jpg

DSC_5613_r.jpg

DSC_5611_r.jpg

DSC_5599_r.jpg

DSC_5603_r.jpg

DSC_5597_r.jpg

Edited by Ken Middleton
Really nice work Ken! Now that you have done a CF-18 we will allow you to come visit us now. I am hoping to be down your part of the world (Conn.) this summer.

thanks Wayne - sorry - but I have been to Canada about 8 times already - so I was overdue on building the Hornet!

Where in CT? If June 25/26, you should try to get over to the Rhode Island airshow at Quonset with the Blue Angels, F-22 demo, and F-16 demo

My wife and I are looking at staying at a hotel in Manchester and then visiting the state from there. I want to go to the air museum at Bradley International, then look around the state. We are going to be there around the middle of July.

My wife and I are looking at staying at a hotel in Manchester and then visiting the state from there. I want to go to the air museum at Bradley International, then look around the state. We are going to be there around the middle of July.

Wayne - cool! I have a free pass to the air museum. Please drop me a message with an address and I will mail it out to you

Great work, Ken. Very realistic looking finish. I really like the in flight pose. Thank you for posting the link on how you fabricate the bases, supports and rods. I may have to try that one day.

Mike

Great work, Ken. Very realistic looking finish. I really like the in flight pose. Thank you for posting the link on how you fabricate the bases, supports and rods. I may have to try that one day.

Mike

thanks Mike! Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on doing an in-flight