China's new 5th Generation Fighter ?

I dont the fact that it is real.... same as I have no doubt the F-23 is real...

But the F-23 isnt a service aircraft is it. and it never will be...

Is this Chinese jet the lastest in a line of "maybe" jets? or it is what will be?

Oh and the red star is Soviet, no Russian... it represents the Soviet ideal

Okei, i am a bit anal about this, but it is probably my favorite aircraft...

F-23 was never ever built. In fact we haven't had *idea* how F-23 looked until around one year ago, when drawings were declassified. But there was atleast 3 configurations of F-23. We know two of them so far.

YF-23 on other hand, was build. YF is the prototype for production variant, F. Therefor, difference is big, like with YF-22 and F-22.

That is a VERY long and big airframe. I bet its size is to accommodate extra weapon bays - I'm guessing 2x or 3x as many weapons bays as the F-22.

China doesn't need to produce a jet that rivals or surpasses the f-22. All it needs is to make something that's close to the Raptor's capability - then manufacture many of them - to keep the US worried.

Terry

I like the look of this new jet! :coolio:

But how many can China really afford to buy?

Probably a lot. Just because it has a pretty shape does not mean its guts are exceptionally advanced. It is pretty darn big, looks like a heavy interceptor (like the MiG-25). It is probably a 3rd rate 5th gen (F-22 is 1st, T-50 is 2nd).

that's a pretty (nearly) side view of the beast, thank you Berkut.

and thanks to all (thoses concerned) for all thoses nices photos yet!

can't wait now to see that thing from different angles... (maybe only just in a long time, when it will fly...)

What's that open hatch/panel for? looks weird.

Drag chute maybe...

When I showed the guys at work I got a lot of..."F-22 copy" remarks. Even a "looks like a retarded F-22."

I think it looks more like that MiG 1.44...

Check these links...They are MiG 1.44 images

MiG 1.44 front view

0.jpg

Side view

Front and above

Above and behind

Maybe a MiG 1.44 with a dash of F-22 thrown in for flavor?

Curt

didn't clint eastwood try to steal a few years ago.

It only vaguely resembles the movie version of the MiG-31 Firefox. I seriously doubt the J-20 could match it in performance or capabilities.

Firefox it ain't. Same with PAK-FA.

I like the look of this new jet! :wacko:

But how many can China really afford to buy?

:P I think China can afford to buy many more J-20s, J-XXs than the USA can afford to buy F-22s. Let's not forget that Chinese costs are nowhere near those of the west and the US has capped the number of F-22s at what is it? 183? Perhaps China could afford to produce over 1,000 of these new fighters, then what? Could 183 F-22s really be a serious problem for them once they get these many more birds into service? One more thing, who was it that trained many of the Chinese engineers and technicians? We'll have to wait and see.

;),

Ross.

The truth is that even after this thing enters service - if it enters service - how it would do against F-22s or any other opponent would be total speculation until it actually happened. And then there's questions like: When flown by who? In what environment? After what training? With what support? Things like this aren't as easy as a Deadliest Warrior-style comparison of specs.

:cheers:, LOL Antonov, I had thought of those factors. I know that Americans think of themselves as the leaders in all aspects of life but there are those in this world who often wonder about that. I'm not being derogatory here, but as I said in my last post, who was it that trained the Chinese engineers and technicians. Could it not be that the Chinese learned their lessons very well? I won't say who would win in combat, but neither am I ruling out a real surprise on any aspect of the current discussions.

Gregg, would 183 F-22s be able to combat even 500 of these aircraft, or even 300 of them? Who knows? And who knows how many the Chinese Air Force could afford to buy of the production version, assuming it goes into production. Basically, I'm not ruling anything in or out. I know full well that goes against the grain of some who post here. I'm not referring to you Gregg, but there are those who would say that anything American would have to be better than anything produced by any other nation. I'm afraid I think some Americans are overly confident in their own and their nation's abilities. Within myself, I often just wonder if that confidence is justified.

If anyone wants to shoot me down, go right ahead, but remember it's America that champions 'free speech'. I expect there will be some who will have something to say about what I've said here but then again maybe not. This is just my take at this point in time and without many facts to go on, I'll admit that. None of us really knows and I'm not going to second guess the abilities of the Chinese or their products. I used to believe that Chinese products might have been cheap, but the quality just wasn't there.

Just after I went back to work from my recent illness I was pulling night duty and on one ward round during that night shift I got talking to a nurse whose husband happens to design and manufacture camper trailers. He wanted to support Australian companies and the whole prototype trailer was produced here. The canvas maker charged him $3,000 for the canvas, made to the canvas makers specs, which meant the trailer design had to be altered somewhat. The designer/builder and his family took the trailer away for a camping holiday a few Christmases ago and in the first storm the canvas tore to pieces. That was enough for them to look elsewhere and they found a canvas maker in China who would make what they wanted exactly as they wanted it and for $600. This new canvas was fitted to the re-redesigned camper trailer and the family took it away and the canvas survived similar high winds and lashing rains. This prototype is still the family's camper and the canvas has lasted that long with no problems. Since then they have sold a few hundred campers and had no problems or complaints about the canvas.

I know this is a far cry from advanced fighter aircraft but it is an example of how the Chinese are rapidly lifting their game. 10 years ago no one would have believed that they would be selling cars in Australia and for a price no one else can match, the cars are very well equipped. The same was said about the Korean cars here 20 years ago and the Japanese cars 30 years before that. Certainly, they don't make 5 stars on the Ancap crash test scale, but neither do a lot of the other cars on the market here. I have no doubt that they will make that rating quicker than any of us here in Oz would be willing to give them the credit for.

:cheers:,

Ross.