China's new 5th Generation Fighter ?

There were two YF-23s built, one is at the USAF Museum and the other I believe is at the Northrop Museum in Southern California ...

It looks like this J-XX is real to me ....

Gregg

One is actually on the ramp at the Northrop facility in LA. As you drive by you can see it just parked there. At least it was there three years ago.

Edited by gonzalo
This could also be an experimental aircraft never intended for serial production and used to test new designs, like Have Blue.

Have Blue looked like an Experimental Aircraft, this looks like a near production prototype ...

Gregg

Okay, so China has brainy designers, who can take the current technologies and build on them. Goody.

I cant wait for the next 20 years.

Just a personal thought, the West does not have the corner on brainy designers that it thinks it has.

And, if the F-22 is the best of the West, I don't like our chances in the next global conflict.

Just a personal thought, the West does not have the corner on brainy designers that it thinks it has.

And, if the F-22 is the best of the West, I don't like our chances in the next global conflict.

The pilots make the gear...

Wildcat vs Zero.... ETC.

But......I digress

Lets not turn this into an east vs west debate please. :monkeydance:

Lets enjoy the pretty planes!

:monkeydance:

Curt

Dont sell the evil West short, just yet, although we don't seem to have the guts to be the best these days. Were content to be 'global', merely among the greater herd. Besides, from Neolithic man down to today, no one has a corner on the market forever.

Im convinced that tactics and training will make the difference, regardless. Everyone strives for parity in equipment, and usually comes pretty close.

The pilots make the gear...

No they don't! Clearly a Zero will beat a wildcat! In the same way that a missile armed fighter will always beat a lowly mig-17. :(

I agree with you Curt, but if you are debating pilots there is no "my jet is better" garbage. Its not the chess master that wins games! Its the pieces of course! and my rook is better!

Anywho, Call me when this thing goes into production or better yet when we have a picture of it ACTUALLY FLYING.

You guys are ready to marry this gal on the first date!

China builds one fighter and you see a fuzzy picture and its the end of the west, the American way, and the F-22? Wow!!

Dont sell the evil West short, just yet, although we don't seem to have the guts to be the best these days. Were content to be 'global', merely among the greater herd. Besides, from Neolithic man down to today, no one has a corner on the market forever.

Im convinced that tactics and training will make the difference, regardless. Everyone strives for parity in equipment, and usually comes pretty close.

I'm not closing the book on either side just yet. I just think it might be a bit foolish to dismiss that thing as a movie prop

or something else when it could be the real deal.

as long as chineses didn't do any statement, nor any claims about that bird, it would be dishonest to start a East vs West flame war...

otherly, i wonder what are thoses engines?

i previously state that in some angle it shares similarities with the su-47 berkut... as i see new pics of the plane, i slightly change my mind...

now, i found that, in the rear angle... it looks like Mig Mfi ! like if the chineses had bough more than just the "project 33" from Mikoyan...

(and this looks as close as mfi, as project 33 looks like FC-1... so, not carbon-copy... but elaborates from...)

as long as chineses didn't do any statement, nor any claims about that bird, it would be dishonest to start a East vs West flame war...

otherly, i wonder what are thoses engines?

i previously state that in some angle it shares similarities with the su-47 berkut... as i see new pics of the plane, i slightly change my mind...

now, i found that, in the rear angle... it looks like Mig Mfi ! like if the chineses had bough more than just the "project 33" from Mikoyan...

(and this looks as close as mfi, as project 33 looks like FC-1... so, not carbon-copy... but elaborates from...)

Id have to agree. It doesnt appear they've created anything utterly new, as much as combined many elements from elsewhere.

Have Blue looked like an Experimental Aircraft, this looks like a near production prototype ...

Gregg

The truth is we really have no clue about this airplane, other than it is highly likely a part of China's 5th generation fighter project. Is China's aircraft industry really capable of putting out a world class fighter that is on-par with the F-22? I don't know, but I wouldn't put my money on it. It takes way more than brainy people to make a good aircraft. While China was still making new Mig-21's, the USAF had operational F-22's. They don't really have a good track record with creating new technology, with this and other sorts of things.

But let's look at some facts here. The US already has F-22's in its inventory, a plane that while not without its faults, is by far the most capable fighter in the world. Any efforts would have one hell of a time creating something comparable or surpassing it. The US also has the F-35 in late stages of development, a plane that while more advanced than the F-22 is substantially less capable in aerial combat. However, it's abilities are projected to be far beyond those of any other fighter out there today besides the F-22.

On the other hand, China's most advanced fighters in production or likely to see service soon are more comparable to F-15's and F-16's (without AESA radar). This J-XX or J-20 they are prototyping is likely to be, optimistically, comparable to an F-35. To top it off, it probably wont even be operational for maybe a decade after the F-35 anyway.

from the j-10 close up pics, i guess im not as curious as the desgin quality, but the construction quality

chinas aviation technology is making great leaps forward (lol) but i think there is some overstatement of the pace...having said that the design is exactly what i expected...and disregarding the low observability factor, the production of a twin engine indigionus interceptor is a great achievement from an industry that has traditionally struggled with heavier class combat aircraft

Edited by Raymond

The PLA Star is not the first time appearing,guys.

You can also find that pattern on "August First" aerobatic team schemes.

Maybe the F-117 alike vertical fins are too narrow to add bans,so only Star was left.

And Maybe again,in next months, we could have a full resin 1/144 kit to play with.

:whistle:

Yufei

from the j-10 close up pics, i guess im not as curious as the desgin quality, but the construction quality

chinas aviation technology is making great leaps forward (lol) but i think there is some overstatement of the pace...having said that the design is exactly what i expected...and disregarding the low observability factor, the production of a twin engine indigionus interceptor is a great achievement from an industry that has traditionally struggled with heavier class combat aircraft

I agree. Like someone said on another forum, there is two groups of people regarding this J-20...

1 - Nah, China is still in 15'th century, and isn't capable at making any new tech at all.

2 - Second group is like this:

hum234.gif

We need 6 gen fighter! I am so concerned! Our future and existence is in a great danger!

I think the truth is somewhat between. I mean, leaping from J-7/8 to J-10 is rather big leap and relatively short time. And thank to all that posted pics so far! :)

Edited by Berkut