'Hangar Queen' Diorama. 1/72 Scale

Aluminium foil in place. It's a bit crinkled from the fitting, but that doesn't matter once it has been punctured from shrapnel, and torn by the airflow. Very thin strips of foil were attached inside for the stringers in the damaged area. This will allow them to bend with the damage, or be pealed back to hang loose.

fort41.jpg

fort42.jpg

I'll leave that till later in the build or it will get damaged, but my thoughts were lots of tiny puncture holes with a scalpel tip to represent the shrapnel strikes, then tear a bigger hole with the blade, and twist and distort it working from similar flak damage photos.

That is looking REALLY good. I like the work in the radio room. I keep having to remind myself it's 1/72, not 1/48. I can't wait to see how the damage in the rear section turns out,looks to have a lot of potential!

The ball turret ring looks really good as well, the build up looks very nice - and that's just in white, can't wait to see it painted. You mentioned that the 'Queen' will have her main wheels taken off and sitting on jack stands. Very cool! I'm wondering though, if she took damage, would they put supports under the waist as well? Or additional jacks under the wings?

I'm greedy - I want more!

Cheers,

Mark.

Three more pics before I go to bed. As I said before, this is a cheap build, so no buying expensive microstrip. I just cut my own stringers with a steel rule and scalpel, these about 0.5mm x 0.25mm. It's easy to straighten them by pulling them between your fingers, and when it comes time to glue them, stick one end first, wait for it to grab, then pull tight and glue the rest.

fort44.jpg

The right side waist now has all the stringers and formers fitted.

fort45.jpg

I also added the formers visible through the side access panels in the pilots position.

fort46.jpg

WOW :thumbsup: great work for the damage area, is (going to be) a thing of beauty, as is the rest. Thanks for the "how to" on your stringers.

I tried a similar sort of thing last year but was not successful :thumbsup: . Are you using "regular" CA or the thin(watery)type or some secret concoction known only to the modlers of the UK :rolleyes: ??

Makes a lot of sense. I'm kicking myself right now - I'm almost out of the evergreen I need for framing... and I just look over here at you... you make your own - looks darn good... oh, if I had a long straight edge...

I'm still in suspense with how the damaged areas are going to look. I've seen something similar to this before being done, but it was in large scale, and seeing it up close and in person I was really amazed with the effect it gave - not to put pressure on you, but I really can't wait to see what it looks like in 1/72 as well! Do up all the tinfoil, take 'er outside, throw in a little fire cracker, get some really good "FLAK" damage going on... no, joking aside, I can't wait!

Cheers,

Mark.

Had a good nights building this evening. I finished the stringers in the rear fuselage before moving to the nose to add the framing in there. All very time consuming. The strips over the openings in the cockpit sides are just to reinforce the external pieces I glued the other day, as they began to come loose as I tried to sand them flush. These will be trimmed down once everything has fully hardened off.

fort47.jpg

fort48.jpg

While the fuselage was drying, I did a little work on the wing, adding the spars into the top skin of the wing. The larger pieces at each end will be trimmed down to fit just under the bottom wing skin, and will support the lower spar member at the correct height. I can then add the vertical and diagonal bracing in the spars.

fort49.jpg

It doesn't look like I've done much for the evening, but the rear fuselage and nose section took a good 5 hours.