Airfix Ahoy! 2011

Time for another of theplasticsurgeon, Julien (UK) and my nostalgia trip group builds :thumbsup:

This year it will be Airfix Ahoy!

So if you are keen for a simple build, free of all that added detail, then please pre-register here.

With Airfix's new kit and re-release schedule being so aggressive, there is plenty of choice for everyone.

GB Rules

1. Airfix products only. In case of doubt this will be confirmed by a photo of the Airfix logo on the box, instructions or plastic - or a recognised Airfix product code on the decals.

Intended to filter out similar offerings from Heller or Humbrol etc.

2. Group build is from 01 Jan to 01 Jul 2011. New entries are eligible up to 01 Jun 2011.

3. Projects are unstarted when the GB commences.

4. Open to all airfix kits though preferably Aircraft as this is ARC. (we did allow tanks in the MB GB!)

5. The spirit of this GB is to build and complete models as Airfix intended - and have fun doing it.

Aftermarket materials and replacement parts (other than decals) that replace kit parts will not be allowed in this GB. Use of components from kits of other manufacturers is not allowed.

Aftermarket decals are allowed, but kit ones are preferred. No what-ifs in this GB please.

Scratchbuilding to improve items such as a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard. For those building biplanes, rigging with stretched sprue, invisible thread, fishing line or ezthread is fine.

6. Mod encourage photos at all stages of building where the builder demonstrates progress over the previous set of photos. Please don't post more than 4 VGA quality photos at each such stage.

Mods would like to see at least 4 such demonstrations of progress during the project.

Typically box+parts, cockpit construction, fuselage construction, wings fitted, painted, decals, final details, completion.

7. Only completed models in the finished gallery are eligible for any prizes offered. Reminder that this will be a raffle - not a competition.

Edited by madmike

Is it possible to get in with more than one kit? I am interesting in doing some WWI kits, but still haven't decided what.

also is rigging allowed? I'm not sure if new Airfix kits states anything about it? I'll have to choose something else.

Edited by neca12

Back in the Dark Ages (30? years ago), Airfix kits were sold in the US under the USAirfix or MPC brands. It pre-dates the Heller/Humbrol ventures, if I remember it right. I still have many of them. Some, like the Banshee, I only have in USAirfix boxes. Will these be allowed?

Back in the Dark Ages (30? years ago), Airfix kits were sold in the US under the USAirfix or MPC brands. It pre-dates the Heller/Humbrol ventures, if I remember it right. I still have many of them. Some, like the Banshee, I only have in USAirfix boxes. Will these be allowed?

Hi,

yes ok as basically Airfix in a different box.

Julien

I'll throw my hat into the ring. The place holder for now is the brand new Airfix 1/72 TSR-2MS from Stratos 4. It has everything I want, fast jet, science fiction, anime subject, and can be built as such out of the box. :woot.gif: Although I admit building a 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk 1 out of the box has a certain appeal as well since 2011 is the 75th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight.

I'll have to try this...Airfix kits built the way I built them 40+ years ago. I might even finish one this time.

Make it two:

Old Aifix--Banshee

New Airfix--Buccaneer

Both Naval aviation, both simple paint schemes.

Edited by Bill Ficner
I'll have to try this...Airfix kits built the way I built them 40+ years ago. I might even finish one this time.

Make it two:

Old Aifix--Banshee

New Airfix--Buccaneer

Both Naval aviation, both simple paint schemes.

Coll, the Banshee is one of my all time favorite airfix kits, I have built both versions straight from the box and they gotogether with out any problems at all;

F2H-2No2.jpg

Banfin3.jpg

The bucc even though it makes a nice kit in the end really does have to be bashed into shape!

Welcome on board

Julien