Yes its nostalgia trip group builds time, brought to you again by Mike, Tim & Julien.

This year it will be Airfix Ahoy!

With Airfix's new kit and re-release schedule being so aggressive, there is plenty of choice for everyone.

So if you are keen for a simple build, free of all that added detail, then please pre-register here.

GB Rules

1. Airfix products only. In case of doubt this will be confirmed by a photo of the Airfix logo on the box, instructions or plastic - or a recognised Airfix product code on the decals.

Intended to filter out similar offerings from Heller or Humbrol etc.

2. Group build is from 01 Jan to 01 Jul 2011. New entries are eligible up to 01 Jun 2011.

3. Projects are unstarted when the GB commences.

4. Open to all airfix kits though preferably Aircraft as this is ARC. (we did allow tanks in the MB GB!)

5. The spirit of this GB is to build and complete models as Airfix intended - and have fun doing it.

Aftermarket materials and replacement parts (other than decals) that replace kit parts will not be allowed in this GB. Use of components from kits of other manufacturers is not allowed.

Aftermarket decals are allowed, but kit ones are preferred. No what-ifs in this GB please.

Scratchbuilding to improve items such as a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard. For those building biplanes, rigging with stretched sprue, invisible thread, fishing line, wire or ezthread is fine.

6. Mod encourage photos at all stages of building where the builder demonstrates progress over the previous set of photos. Please don't post more than 4 VGA quality photos at each such stage.

Mods would like to see at least 4 such demonstrations of progress during the project.

Typically box+parts, cockpit construction, fuselage construction, wings fitted, painted, decals, final details, completion.

7. Only completed models in the finished gallery are eligible for any prizes offered. Reminder that this will be a raffle - not a competition.

So please come along and join. If you can post up here with your builds,

Thanks

Tim, Mike & Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

I'd like to have a go at this, I recently picked up a BTK kit & if this is to be a back to basics sort of group build what could be more appropriate, besides, I have an urge to build a Spitfire just now.

Steve.

I would like to join this build with a 1:48 EA-6B Prowler that I had planned on building by March anyway! This is going to be my first build in may, many years, so a basic build is a perfect re-entry into modeling. I will be using different decals as I am building this for my brother who was part of the squadron I have the decals for.

Duane

I was about to start an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IXc built as a TacR version (PRU 'pink' finish). Is it within the rules to modify the Airfix with a camera port? I had planned on adding a resin interior, but will simply scratch build something instead sine Airfix's interior is virtually non-existant.

If adding a camera port and scratching some interior are permitted, I will be adding this to the GB.

I would like to join this build with a 1:48 EA-6B Prowler that I had planned on building by March anyway! This is going to be my first build in may, many years, so a basic build is a perfect re-entry into modeling. I will be using different decals as I am building this for my brother who was part of the squadron I have the decals for.

Duane

Welcome aboard Duane.

I've never seen that kit completed, so will be interested to see it.

I actually bought it in 1996, when I found an example seriously underpriced in a local toyshop.

Case of man and price-gun in absolute disharmony.

I had no real interest in building it, and eventually sold it to a mate at the same price a few years later.

I was about to start an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IXc built as a TacR version (PRU 'pink' finish). Is it within the rules to modify the Airfix with a camera port? I had planned on adding a resin interior, but will simply scratch build something instead sine Airfix's interior is virtually non-existant.

If adding a camera port and scratching some interior are permitted, I will be adding this to the GB.

Wecome Chuck1945. Drilling a camera port and scratching a bit of the interior is well within the scope of this GB - and will be absolutely fine.

refer to rule 5:

5. The spirit of this GB is to build and complete models as Airfix intended - and have fun doing it.

Aftermarket materials and replacement parts (other than decals) that replace kit parts will not be allowed in this GB. Use of components from kits of other manufacturers is not allowed.

Aftermarket decals are allowed, but kit ones are preferred. No what-ifs in this GB please.

Scratchbuilding to improve items such as a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard. For those building biplanes, rigging with stretched sprue, invisible thread, fishing line, wire or ezthread is fine.

Breaking open the 1/48th Spitfire MkVa I had a revelation.

This kit comes with paint, glue and even a couple of nice paint brushes. Usually I chuck the paint and glue away but for this build I will use it. Why not? This is as Airfix intended so I'll give it a go.

Should I use the brushes over my airbrush? Do I have what it takes to brush paint the entire model?

Have I lost it?

Yikes :thumbsup::woo:

I'll post some progress shots soon.

Rob

Hi all,

This is my first time on here.

I have decided to return to modelling as something to do whilst stopping smoking and I think a group build is just what I need to help me along! If all is welcome I would like to do the 1/72 Nimrod MR2 in the old hemp scheme of the 90's. I have ordered the kit just yesterday along with decals for the 75th anniversary aircraft from Kinloss (I think the green tail breaks up the hemp nicely).

I will post pics once the goodies arrive.

Thanks

If all is welcome I would like to do the 1/72 Nimrod MR2 in the old hemp scheme of the 90's. I have ordered the kit just yesterday along with decals for the 75th anniversary aircraft from Kinloss (I think the green tail breaks up the hemp nicely).

Welcome aboard - sounds a grand idea.

cany decide what to build yet - do other manufacturers spures reboxed by airfix count?

Eligibility rule 1 apples:

1. Airfix products only. In case of doubt this will be confirmed by a photo of the Airfix logo on the box, instructions or plastic - or a recognised Airfix product code on the decals.

Intended to filter out similar offerings from Heller or Humbrol etc.

Give us a clue Raymond - we'll let you know.