Id be interested in doing a 1/144 A300. I have no problem building it OOB and honestly find it refreshing. I would like to use the new TwoSix decal sheet for Air Algerie plus a corogard sheet as well. Let me know if thats ok. Kit is unstarted.

Id be interested in doing a 1/144 A300. I have no problem building it OOB and honestly find it refreshing. I would like to use the new TwoSix decal sheet for Air Algerie plus a corogard sheet as well. Let me know if thats ok. Kit is unstarted.

Hi,

yes other decals are OK

Julien

thinking 1/72 airfix sea fury

Well if Heller/Humbrol kits are ruled out, I don't see why PM wouldn't be.

Mmh. TSR-2 ? Invader (paintbrush painted and if NMF, using Rub n Buff) ? RF-5E Tigereye ? Too many choices. Is panel lines rescribing ok (I'm thinking about the Tigereye) ?

Edited by Laurent

Greetings All,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now. I'm very much a beginner modeler, but this group build sounds fun, so I'll give it a shot!

Yesterday I picked up two Airfix kits. I'm thinking about combining them into a cool little diorama. The first kit is a SA. Bulldog. The second is a Bloodhound Missile.

Scale will be slightly off, but hey there's a dog included. How can I go wrong?

Wish me luck. I'll need it!

-DanB

As long as it's the Airfix one it will be fine.

So the fact that the kit wasn't tooled by Airfix doesn't matter. Ok.

I enter with A-26C "Monie" and a new tool MiG-15 (NMF using Rub n Buff)

Edited by Laurent

New rule 8 has been agreed with all moderators about raffle eligibility.

Hopefully all will become clear when you read it - and it's NOT an issue at the moment.

Yes its nostalgia trip group builds time, brought to you again by Mike, Tim & Julien.

This year it will be Airfix Ahoy!

With Airfix's new kit and re-release schedule being so aggressive, there is plenty of choice for everyone.

So if you are keen for a simple build, free of all that added detail, then please pre-register here.

GB Rules

1. Airfix products only. In case of doubt this will be confirmed by a photo of the Airfix logo on the box, instructions or plastic - or a recognised Airfix product code on the decals.

Intended to filter out similar offerings from Heller or Humbrol etc.

2. Group build is from 01 Jan to 01 Jul 2011. New entries are eligible up to 01 Jun 2011.

3. Projects are unstarted when the GB commences.

4. Open to all airfix kits though preferably Aircraft as this is ARC. (we did allow tanks in the MB GB!)

5. The spirit of this GB is to build and complete models as Airfix intended - and have fun doing it.

Aftermarket materials and replacement parts (other than decals) that replace kit parts will not be allowed in this GB. Use of components from kits of other manufacturers is not allowed.

Aftermarket decals are allowed, but kit ones are preferred. No what-ifs in this GB please.

Scratchbuilding to improve items such as a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard. For those building biplanes, rigging with stretched sprue, invisible thread, fishing line, wire or ezthread is fine.

6. Mod encourage photos at all stages of building where the builder demonstrates progress over the previous set of photos. Please don't post more than 4 VGA quality photos at each such stage.

Mods would like to see at least 4 such demonstrations of progress during the project.

Typically box+parts, cockpit construction, fuselage construction, wings fitted, painted, decals, final details, completion.

7. Only completed models in the finished gallery are eligible for any prizes offered. Reminder that this will be a raffle - not a competition.

8. Models eligible for one raffle only. If you enter you model in another GB and it is eligible for a prize there - it's not eligible here.

So please come along and join. If you can post up here with your builds,

Thanks

Tim, Mike & Julien

Question: If I read rule 5, it says no aftermarket bits. But, it also says, no bits from other manufacturers and some scratchbuilding of bits is allowed. So I wanted to ask, might it be possible to do a little Airfix kitbashing using nothing BUT Airfix kits? I have an old bagged BP Defiant that I want to do, but while I want to do it OOB, I understand it has a few minor issues, with the main one being a somewhat anemic nose. Apparently an Airfix early Spit nose cut down and shaped will correct that shortcoming though. So, would such a conversion count as minor scratchbuilding, or would it go a bit too far? My intent with this is to just make a decent looking Defiant for my shelf that looks somewhat accurate, not try and get all anal with it as I do indeed want to try to build something that Airfix intended.

I'm in with a Airfix 1:48 Sepecat Jaguar GR3A.

As its actually the Jaguar GR1 with new decals, I will build it as a Operation Granby GR1 using Model Alliance decals.

Regards,

Jan

Welcome Jan - here's my Jaag:

AA_Jaguar002-6.jpg

Take a look at the GB thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8105

Question: If I read rule 5, it says no aftermarket bits. But, it also says, no bits from other manufacturers and some scratchbuilding of bits is allowed. So I wanted to ask, might it be possible to do a little Airfix kitbashing using nothing BUT Airfix kits? I have an old bagged BP Defiant that I want to do, but while I want to do it OOB, I understand it has a few minor issues, with the main one being a somewhat anemic nose. Apparently an Airfix early Spit nose cut down and shaped will correct that shortcoming though. So, would such a conversion count as minor scratchbuilding, or would it go a bit too far? My intent with this is to just make a decent looking Defiant for my shelf that looks somewhat accurate, not try and get all anal with it as I do indeed want to try to build something that Airfix intended.

There are other issues with that kit that are easier to correct. The tail is also incorrect shape, no landing lights, wing joints in wrong place.

Here's mine OOB from 2009 - I did correct the wing joints:

Defiant001.jpg

This one was presented to the nephew of the gunner of the aircraft it depicts - who is absolutely delighted with it.

This GB is about 1 kit to 1 model, with minimal addition to improve the result - to celebrate the Airfix brand and tradition of modelmaking.

I really think that a 2 kit - 1 model kitbash is diverging away from the intended spirit.

I'm in, 1/72 Airfix Me109 :coolio:

uh oh - just discovered half fuselage missing!

OK change of plan - swapped the Me109 for a TBD-1 Devastator. More canopy masking than i wanted, but the selection at the LHS was limited.

This GB is about 1 kit to 1 model, with minimal addition to improve the result - to celebrate the Airfix brand and tradition of modelmaking.

I really think that a 2 kit - 1 model kitbash is diverging away from the intended spirit.

Yeah, you are probably right. I got a chance to look at some diagrams from SAMI last night and it seems like I can probably get the result I want without a chop operation. So I'll shim out the nose, bulk it a little bit and recontour.

So, the Defiant kit will be my first official entry for the GB.

BTW, I really like how your Defiant turned out OOB. If mine ends up looking almost that good, I'll call it a success.

Edited by Jay Chladek