I got an Airfix 1/48 Bf-109E about a week ago. I've thought long and hard if I could do it OOB, and I guess I can if I close the cockpit, and I could always add brake lines later, so I would like to join the GB with it.

Hello guys I'm in with a as yet undecided kit ifyou will have me.It has been a long time since Ive been logged into the forums but Ive been lurking around for some time.The airfix model will also bea concurrent build to a Monogram Thud so Im gonna be very busy!

O.k I dived into the stash and I am totally bashed thus I will throw it to the floor to decide for me.

This is what I came up with:

1. Focke wulf FW 109D 72nd

2. Short Sunderland III 72nd

3. SAAB draken 72nd

4. Hawker sideley buccaneer(new tooling of witch I have 4 and would like to scraatch and cast a complete cockpit in order to use on the other 3 in future the cockpit area is still as devoid of detail as ever) 72nd

5. Hurricane mk1(BOB memorial box used the spitfire as spares and do not want to do the Lanc as yet)72nd

6. Panavia Tornado F3/EF3 48th

7. Sepecat jaguar GR3/ES

I might make some decals for some of these kits if time permits.

As for now the first reply to the selection of the post will be the model that will be entered into the group build once again if you guys decide that I am welcome to join that is.

Hi I've never joined one of our builds yet, (cant figgure how to post pictures) but I guess I'll join and learn how to do both

I pick the 1/72 RAF rescue boat sortof meets all criteria; Airfix, flys across the water (the Ahoy part), owned by a flying organization to save flyers

Tom OKC

Edited by majortomski
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes its nostalgia trip group builds time, brought to you again by Mike, Tim & Julien.

This year it will be Airfix Ahoy!

With Airfix's new kit and re-release schedule being so aggressive, there is plenty of choice for everyone.

So if you are keen for a simple build, free of all that added detail, then please pre-register here.

GB Rules

1. Airfix products only. In case of doubt this will be confirmed by a photo of the Airfix logo on the box, instructions or plastic - or a recognised Airfix product code on the decals.

Intended to filter out similar offerings from Heller or Humbrol etc.

2. Group build is from 01 Jan to 01 Jul 2011. New entries are eligible up to 01 Jun 2011.

3. Projects are unstarted when the GB commences.

4. Open to all airfix kits though preferably Aircraft as this is ARC. (we did allow tanks in the MB GB!)

5. The spirit of this GB is to build and complete models as Airfix intended - and have fun doing it.

Aftermarket materials and replacement parts (other than decals) that replace kit parts will not be allowed in this GB. Use of components from kits of other manufacturers is not allowed.

Aftermarket decals are allowed, but kit ones are preferred. No what-ifs in this GB please.

Scratchbuilding to improve items such as a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard. For those building biplanes, rigging with stretched sprue, invisible thread, fishing line, wire or ezthread is fine.

6. Mod encourage photos at all stages of building where the builder demonstrates progress over the previous set of photos. Please don't post more than 4 VGA quality photos at each such stage.

Mods would like to see at least 4 such demonstrations of progress during the project.

Typically box+parts, cockpit construction, fuselage construction, wings fitted, painted, decals, final details, completion.

7. Only completed models in the finished gallery are eligible for any prizes offered. Reminder that this will be a raffle - not a competition.

So please come along and join. If you can post up here with your builds,

Thanks

Tim, Mike & Julien

Hi Guys, I'm about to get going on my BT-K model & have also put my hand up to enter it into the Spitfire group build over on Britmodeller, are the any problems here on ARC with me doing this, BM are OK with it?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Guys,

I spoke with Mike on the way to the club on Saturday. Count me in with a 1:48 BAe Hawk I bought in Kalgoorlie last year.

I have a few kits on the go at the moment. Nice to do a jet for something different.

I'll get my son James to practice his photography skills he is learning at school to do progress pictures.

Cheers,

Gabe :P

Hi Guys, I'm about to get going on my BT-K model & have also put my hand up to enter it into the Spitfire group build over on Britmodeller, are the any problems here on ARC with me doing this, BM are OK with it?

Steve.

Steve

Not a problem but this will make you ineligible for the raffle drawer.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers

MikeJ

Guys,

I spoke with Mike on the way to the club on Saturday. Count me in with a 1:48 BAe Hawk I bought in Kalgoorlie last year.

I have a few kits on the go at the moment. Nice to do a jet for something different.

I'll get my son James to practice his photography skills he is learning at school to do progress pictures.

Cheers,

Gabe :(

Gabe

Excellent, welcome to the GB!

Cheers

MikeJ

Steve

Not a problem but this will make you ineligible for the raffle drawer.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers

MikeJ

Didn't know there was one but in any case, I seriously can't see me being in the running for it anyway so no worries at all.

Steve.

I'd like to join, if I may, with a Hunter. Trying to build something simple to get out of a bit of a rut, so thinking of the following:

- Single color, so one that comes to mind is the Black Arrows aerobatic team

- The Airfix kit is an FGA.9, so I have to do some surgery on the parabrake housing

- The Airfix kit comes with the correct roundels (though not sure about size), but the fin flash is not the slanted type, so I gotta figure something out there

- The aircraft will be done wheels up, IMHO aerobatic models on wheels look a bit sad ... they should be in their element, performing!

- The AMS beast always lurks near, and I will feed this one with a promise of a highly-polished finish, that is as far as I will try to go

Will start a build thread soon.

I have had to put my kits aside for the last few months due to work commitments; however, got some time now and thought I ease back into it and try building a couple of 1/72 scale kits. I have an old bagged Airfix Mk.II Hurricane kit from the 60's (minus the card board bit and instructions), which I picked up for dollar. I thought it would be cool to compare the old kit with a later release from Airfix and I went out today and purchased a Mk.I Hurricane (they didn't have a Mk.II kit in stock). So I would like to join the GB with two 1/72 Huricanes, one old and one new.

• 3 weeks later...