question about apaches & helo drab colorr

Haven't tried that mixture myself, as I use Model Master US Army Helo Drab on my US Army chopper kits. If you are going to mix the paint according to Hasegawa's ratio, try it on a piece of scrap first.

Here's a couple of choppers that are finished with Model Master Helo Drab (FS 34031)

I use the Model Master 34031 helo drab, but you should scale the color with a bit of flat white. It is the perfect color but looks really dark on a 1/35 scale helo. Besides most US Army birds dont get painted that often and are non uniformly faded and stained, so the whole aircraft is various shades of helo drab anyway

HTH,

Mog

Haven't tried that mixture myself, as I use Model Master US Army Helo Drab on my US Army chopper kits. If you are going to mix the paint according to Hasegawa's ratio, try it on a piece of scrap first.

Here's a couple of choppers that are finished with Model Master Helo Drab (FS 34031)

wow.... you the man!!!!

those 2 are seriously nice kits!!!!

Said

• 2 years later...

here's my experience - i'm currently finishing up a 1/48 RSAF AH-64D on a commission build, and i tellya, mixing helo drab from gunze paint was a real hard thing to do. the pictures i have of the RSAF bird are in extremely bright sunlight, which makes helo drab look rather grey in fact. worse off, i'm making this for a guy who's current on fixing and maintaining these helos, and knows the colour very well. and i'm colour blind too (red-green). so after lots of help from my girlfriend and relatives, i settled on something like FS36118 mixed with H301 and a tinge of olive drab. it's much less olive than gunze says, more gray/olive green. it's a real complicated shade to mix up, i must add... so.. good luck!

Again, it depends on the lighting, etc.

Our birds are pretty weathered and have a lot of OD shades on them. Fresh CARC "Helo Drab" looks almost black. You won't get the color 100% correct but you'll probably get it close.

Jon

I used to mix my own back in the day:

Olive Drab, Dark Green a touch of black and a touch of brown.

I got pretty close to an in-service machine.

Hasegawa says mix 70% olive drab + 30% flat black. Is this mixture helo drab? Or is it another FS paint?