Colombia Sabre

reading the wonderful book "Latin American fighters" by Harpia publishing, i found a pics of this Sabre (Canadair), now sitting as a gate guardian in a Air Force base! Suddeny fell in love with this airplane, i decided to reproduce it! I found a couple of pics on Airliners.net, so i ask some information:

a) is this a real paint o a repaint with fantastic colour?

B) is the darker colour a darker shade of green, a very dark grey (similar to A-10 lizzard Grey) or a black (NATO black or tyre black)

c) it seems the lower surfaces could be in other colour, could it be the PRU blu of the "original" NATO style camo??

sabrecolombia1.jpg

PIC IS JUST FOR DISCUSSION!!!

ciao

Ale

Apparently,this is the operation scheme of Colombian Sabre Mk.6s.

That scheme is problably museum applied.....but it does look nice.

The Duncan Curtis book says the Columbian F-86's were supplied by Canadiar in the standard scheme so that profile is correct, there is also a photo in the Grey/Green/PRU scheme. Also there is a pic of the museum bird saying the wrap around como is non0standard.

Strange FCM got it wrong as their research on these subjects is normally good. Given they were not in service for that long I can see them being repainted? I wonder is one was delivered in Grey/Green/Silver as some Canadian and RAF Candiari sabres were painted like this??

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
The Duncan Curtis book says the Columbian F-86's were supplied by Canadiar in the standard scheme so that profile is correct, there is also a photo in the Grey/Green/PRU scheme. lso ther eis a pic of the museum bird saying the wrap around como is non0standard.

Strange FCM got it wrong as their research on these subjects is normally good. Given they were not in service for that long I can see them being repainted? I wonder is one was delivered in Grey/Green/Silver as some Canadian and RAF Candiari sabres were painted like this??

Julien

Repainting is possible, I have a set of Aztec Decals that have the Colombian Sabres in Dk Green/Med Green top and Light Grey on the bottom.

According to the information that I have, FAC2024 (the one in th OP's picture) is a Sabre Mk.4. They apparently received 4 F-86Fs (FAC2027-2030) after the Sabres were delivered, being that they were ex-USAF aircraft, it is a possibility that they had thier undersides un-painted.

The FAC Sabre 6s were definitely delivered in standard Dark Grey/Dark Green/PRU Blue as on RCAF airplanes. There's a great photo of one on the ramp in Montreal in the Milberry book on the Canadair Sabre.

J

The FAC Sabre 6s were definitely delivered in standard Dark Grey/Dark Green/PRU Blue as on RCAF airplanes. There's a great photo of one on the ramp in Montreal in the Milberry book on the Canadair Sabre.

J

The next page(325) in the Milberry book shows a Sabre 6 preserved with a different than Canadair Camo, and it is not the one in the original post. Warbirds Worldwide has the Sabre 6 preserved at El Dorado Airport in Bogota and the # is 2023 vice #2024.

Cheers, Tony