Tim's Academy B-17F - as a YB-40 gunship

Nice work! The only thing I can recomend is putting more paint on the front of the engine cowls, the OD went around the whole front of the cowls. More or less like this:

P8080887.jpg

Sorry, best pic I could find in a hurry.

Edited by B-17 guy
Awesome work. What brand of OD Green did you use? I think its perfect and may want to get that exact kind.

Humbrol 155. Thinned to about 50% (hence the distressed look) applied by airbrush.

I'm quite pleased with the look I've achieved - but let's see after several coats of Klear for decals.

Humbrol 155. Thinned to about 50% (hence the distressed look) applied by airbrush.

I'm quite pleased with the look I've achieved - but let's see after several coats of Klear for decals.

on my monitor the color looks exactly like a OD B-17. :thumbsup:

of course the Klear will clarify things, so we'll be able to see the results, clearly...............sorry I'll go be good -for nowgetsmileyCA81AZS3.gif

that green looks perfect!

Yeah it does I cant get over how good it looks.

Tim did you preshade? there seems to be some darker areas around the panel lines so not sure if you preshaded or just put heavier layers on in places.

Tim did you preshade? there seems to be some darker areas around the panel lines so not sure if you preshaded or just put heavier layers on in places.

No preshading on this model.

Anyway a coat of Klear has reduced all the features that you chaps seem to like.

Introducing Fortress 42-5741 UX*H - the holder of many secrets.

YB40Decals002.jpg

Which I'll spill if this ship measures up at the end!

YB40Decals001.jpg

Ventured into my loft today to retrieve my Airfix Fortresses that I showed you all earlier.

I had found that the Bit O' Lace was actually red rather than white http://bates-r-us.org/abitolace/index.html

so I fitted the Hasegawa noseart decal to my model:

ABitOLace002.jpg

and took more photos whilst the weather was good.

ABitOLace003.jpg

ABitOLace001.jpg

I had found a photo of Shilaylee with white wall tyres:

Shilaylee003.jpg

and I recoated her in MattKlear:

Shilaylee002.jpg

Which should look very similar to the YB-40.

Shilaylee001.jpg

And I retook photos of Carolina Moon:

CarolinaMoon001.jpg

CarolinaMoon003.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Not a showstopper , but I lost the bombardeer's seat, and navigator's office during work on the nose.

Cut down a spare pilot seat, and hope it hides everything behind it. Finally got around to installing the nosecone.

YB40Nose001.jpg

Also installed the undecarriage and exhausts etc.

YB40Nose002.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

There were a few B-17's with "white wall" tires. The crew chief would do it so he could identify his bird while they were circling to land. Here is "Shilaylee" of the 100th BG. I think someone here was planning on doing this bird.

4_13_4.jpg