Here is the bird I plan on building. Mason and Dixon from the 351st BS of the 100th BG. Decals will be from the Kits World sheet. I will be building the Monogram 1/48th kit.

MD2.jpg

Edited by 100th BG
I have the blueprints for the B-17E, F, & G on microfilm.

May I ask where you acquired these, how much they cost and if they're still available? I NEED a set for a project I am working on.

I purchased them from the Smithsonian many years back. There are 36 reels of 35 mm microfilm. Last time I checked, the film was running around 20 bucks a reel. It ain't cheap! I bought a few reels a year for several years. I've had these for better than 15 years, so Lord only knows how much it is now. It would be nice if they would digitize it.

Edited by 100th BG

Well, I have started. Removed all of the molded in interior detail from the nose, cockpit, and radio room as those are the areas I would like to detail. Also got rid of the radio room and waist spoilers. Will rescribe them later. Anybody have any good ideas for oxygen bottles?

Anybody have any good ideas for oxygen bottles?

1/4" styrene rod. Cut it to lenght that looks right, I eye balled mine when I did it. Make as many as you need. Now comes the fun part. Take each one and chuck them into a power drill, (I recomend againt using a cordless drill because it takes a while I went through both my batteries and hated having to wait for them to charge)

Once you have one chucked in, take a flat metal file and run the chucked piece of rod against the file to round off and dome the ends. Once you have the shape you want, unchuck it and file the other end.

This take one or two to get the hang of it so make then you need. I recommend doing this in the garage or in the kitchen and have the vaccuum handy, it gets messy.

Note: This takes a while to do as each one gets filed twice, but it's cheap and easy.

Edited by B-17 guy
Ah but, where does one find 1/4" styrene rod? I looked at the Evergreen and Plastruc sites and couldn't find anything.

Not sure then, I found mine at my LHS.

EDIT: Just dug out the package, the rod is made by plastruct, use part number 90864. The package label reads:

.250"

6.4mm

Styr. Round Rod

5 Pcs

Cat. No. MR-250

Double Edit: Here ya go. http://www.plastruct.com/pages/OnlineProdu...mp;CCode=MR-250

Edited by B-17 guy

Thanks for all of the input, it is appreciated. Styrene rod is on order. I got a little work done this week, making new windows for the radio compartment and nose. Also filling in the wing root area in the radio room and started making patterns for bulkheads. Not making near as much progress as so many of you! Where do you find the time???? Not really anything to take pictures of yet, but once I get going on stringers and frames, I will see if I can master my wifes camera.

Well, here is my little bit of progress. I have not attempted a build of this nature in many years, so I am learning or re-learning the techniques. Slowly, very slowly! Making the individual formers fit, then cutting each little piece of stringer is very time consuming. I do not know how Mark and Steve are making such rapid progress. Well done gentlemen! I shall perservere...

MnD2.jpg

Wow Holmes, you were busy! I had seen the photos on the 351st pages but had not browsed the crew pages, thank you. The one of the Ellison crew is interesting because it shows the left side and they had the kill markings painted there. At least I believe that is "Mason and Dixon" as it has the bare metal cowl flaps on #2 which shows up in later photos of the A/C.

Wow Holmes, you were busy! I had seen the photos on the 351st pages but had not browsed the crew pages, thank you. The one of the Ellison crew is interesting because it shows the left side and they had the kill markings painted there. At least I believe that is "Mason and Dixon" as it has the bare metal cowl flaps on #2 which shows up in later photos of the A/C.

100THBG

I quite enjoyed doing that for you..and it is certainly is Mason and Dixon, Sir...

HOLMES :wub:

edit :this is a nice colorful photos that I quite like... it shows a kill on this side too !

http://www.100thbg.com/mainmenus/351st/images03/1_44_2.jpg

Edited by HOLMES