Nice choice!

Good example of the armored glass , front and side of the cockpit as was discussed under the Direct Vision Window (DVW) discussion. Note the unpainted trim.

Yeah, and I have to figure out a good way to reproduce that!

And here are a few shots that show the evolution of missions and kill markings:

Early on, no kills

er20.jpg

Later, one kill

noseartslides45.jpg

Towards the end, lots of missions and 4 kills. You can also see in some of these photos that the chin turret had blast tubes at one point (early) and then they are no longer used. The photos also show the nose was changed a time or two.

100bg_02.jpg

Here she is with the longer nose piece (compare this one to the first one):

29Missions.jpg

Edited by 100th BG

First off Karl, great pictures, and great demonstration in the change of the nose over time... wow, she had a honkin' nose, thank god she got a nose job done... never had the zippers on the chin turret as well (neither did LMM), seems those zipper enclosures weren't as common place as once believed.

In regards to your windows, maybe this would help - I've got both the Verlinden PE set and the Eduards PE set for the canopy frames. Mind you, you've got the other set of the Eduard exterior PE set that should be arriving anytime now, but if you need another set - let me know. That PE Set should do the trick though.

As for the intakes in the wings, BRILLIAN! I sincerely hope you know that when I outright steal your idea and design for my own build, that I will be thinking of you while doing so. Figured I'd be at least that nice about it.

Cheers!

Mark.

Hey, you are more than welcome to steal any of my ideas as I will certainly be stealing from you and others... After all, it is a GROUP build, right :jaw-dropping: !!!

As you probably noticed from some previous photos, the oil cooler face is not very far back in the wing, so what I have done is placed a piece of styrene with a round hole in it, filled the area with filler and made the transition from the opening in the wing to the face of the cooler, then backed it up with some brass mesh I have. Should give the appearance of the oil cooler. I am NOT going to try to reproduce the ice screen however!

Can't wait to see how it ends up looking. I mean, really, the fact that nothing's been put there when all of these openings are facing you dead on when looking from the front... but Karl, I have huge faith you'll do them justice.

A little progress has been made. Worked on the structure in the lower right fuselage:

MasonandDixon001.jpg

Here is how the wings are looking. You can kind of see my "oil coolers" here:

MasonandDixon002.jpg

This shows the outboard intakes for the intercooler and supercharger:

MasonandDixon003.jpg

The wings are going to take a LOT of work...

Edited by 100th BG

One of the flaws of the Monogram kit that bugs me are the small windows. One day while looking at the visible B-17, I thought if I could do something like that.... Hmmm.... So here is what I ended up doing. First step was to enlarge the window openings, then got some acrylic pieces and cut out some plugs to fill the holes. Then I worked them down with my Dremel and some files and finished polishing them out with some Micro Mesh. Two important things: First, the opening has to be larger than the finished window. This way, when it gets masked and painted, it comes down to the correct size. Second, be sure to do the inside as well. If you leave it flat, it acts like a small magnifying glass.

Windowinserts002.jpg

Windowinserts001.jpg

Windowinserts003.jpg

I like the results, even if it is a bit of work. This works for the radio room and main entrance door windows as well.

One of the flaws of the Monogram kit that bugs me are the small windows. One day while looking at the visible B-17, I thought if I could do something like that.... Hmmm.... So here is what I ended up doing. First step was to enlarge the window openings, then got some acrylic pieces and cut out some plugs to fill the holes. Then I worked them down with my Dremel and some files and finished polishing them out with some Micro Mesh. Two important things: First, the opening has to be larger than the finished window. This way, when it gets masked and painted, it comes down to the correct size. Second, be sure to do the inside as well. If you leave it flat, it acts like a small magnifying glass.

Windowinserts002.jpg

Windowinserts001.jpg

Windowinserts003.jpg

I like the results, even if it is a bit of work. This works for the radio room and main entrance door windows as well.

Yeah that's too much work.

But it looks great!