Fortress III Give it to Uncle

This will be my thread for my Revell'o'gram 1/48 B-17G conversion to RAF Fortress III.

I plan on using the Paragon Conversion Set and some decals I've sourced through the great members here on ARC.

Kit in hand, some minor work started...itching to start building and painting!

Edited by Shawn M
I do love US types with RAF roundels to say the least. Mustangs, Libs, Forts, Corsairs etc - They suit them well.

Although, you have to admit - the Spits with the American Stars on them look pretty good too.

But, I do agree with you - adds a new look to them, not too common, and very nice indeed.

Shawn,

I like the idea you've got on passing the bomber to your Uncle after.

Cheers!

Mark.

Mark, the nose art is "Give it to Uncle", added color profile to first post

Edited by Shawn M

Corsair is done:

5312612583_f7f46ca325_z.jpg

Cleaned up the parts for the first few steps, found another seat for the radio room, selected crewmen for the visible locations, removed US B-17G items NOT needed for the Fortress III.

Im going to pick up some paint today and start building gluing...

All my builds have some unique thing I try out. This one is the first time I've ever used an aftermarket set on a model, first use of resin parts, first time with vac parts. SO I decided to throw another first in there an make this the first build finished (exterior) in Tamiya Paints.

Raided the LHS and got allll my colors last night.

I've used them on Automotive builds, they lay down nicely with good rich colors.

I used one on a zero I did a ways back, and as my primer color on the Corsair with the same results.

I've always used Tamiya paint to airbrush with but I believe you use rattle cans. The only rc Tamiya paint I've used is the white primer and even that is difficult to get on properly.

You're a master at it.

lol, jack of all trades, master of none.

Since Im doing this as an in flight build I've been trying to come up with a good display base. This morning it hit me.

Im going to mount it on a clear acrylic rod (or tube) with a light source (LED?) in the bottom, in my mind it should look like its been hit with a search light while supporting it with the gear up.

Thoughts?

I'll be honest, at first I liked the idea, but then I started to think that it would look like a very narrow beam search light. The clear rod on it's own might do the trick though, without the LED. But that's just my 2 cents.

I'll be honest, at first I liked the idea, but then I started to think that it would look like a very narrow beam search light. The clear rod on it's own might do the trick though, without the LED. But that's just my 2 cents.

thats an excellent point, I thought about that as well. I may try to see if anyone sells an acrylic cone to use.

thats an excellent point, I thought about that as well. I may try to see if anyone sells an acrylic cone to use.

Or mount it on a regular acrylic rod and then put an led or something on the base to shine onto the bottom of the model. Probably won't get the desired effect unless it was in a dimly lit room but still might be cool.

I'm thinking for something this large you're going to want a couple acrylic rods anyway. Been researching this as I'm about to mount my A-10 for the DS GB.

i was going to use a 1/2" diameter or larger rod to support it.

I also though about surrounding the rod with leds and have one inside as well, more of a flood light approach.

The effect would only be for dim/dark rooms and photography purposes.

With the lights around it, definitely sounds like an idea. You can "Shape" the beam of light coming off an LED as well. When it's in the typical form of rounded smooth top, the beam is very narrow. If you file it down smooth and leave it roughed up at the end using something like 400 grit sandpaper, it becomes more and more like a 'flood light' where the beam is spread out. Variations of this, such as sanding down one side only, or in various other shapes will alter the effect.

Shoot, I did this thing a few years ago. I took 1 blue LED and showed what the different forms of sanding/shaping will give for a light effect. I'm thinking maybe the image saved is on the old computer. I'll try and dig it up. If not, one of these days I'll have to do it again.

But, yeah, sounds good!

Mark.

continued painting the interior last night, started dry brushing and washing as well...its starting to come to life!

I assembled the pliot/co-pilot seats after filling in the massive ejector pin holes.

and Retracted the tail wheel