Fortress III Give it to Uncle

Mungo, yeah I know I need to add flash suppressors, haven't gotten that far yet! Side windows, some will be blacked out some wont, my aircraft was not so blacked out.

100th BG, thank you!

I got the resin plates installed this weekend. The chin filler was mis-cast needing a lot of CA and filler to handle the gap that resulted, otherwise it fit my cut out perfectly.

The ball turret piece scared me a bit as the crown of the curve was right, but the sides sat proud. This piece was rather thin and I was afraid I'd sand through it.

A bit of ca for the gaps, 2 rounds of filler and it came out great!

I started by joining the fuse halves on friday night.

5360514139_d1841340b9_z.jpg

5360514261_368b12f1f1_z.jpg

5361128506_6c9792f4cd_z.jpg

5361128874_bcb7d80c60_z.jpg

5361127932_1f6371eabe_z.jpg

5360514703_1228ef8f16_z.jpg

5361128414_9e9e3768a4_z.jpg

5361129446_d596eb7e4f_z.jpg

You're so right...and I always know its going to be unseen...but I know its there and I have pics to prove it!

I hate the way this plastic seams, no matter what you do the seam is visible because of the plastic color difference. Trust me, that seam is smoooooth.

Edited by Shawn M
And all that interior detail.... gone.

It always saddens me closing up a big plane like this. Spend all that time and then you can't see anything.

Looks great though!

I think that's the main reason I'm going with the LMM diorama, is because SO MUCH of 'er is going to be opened up for viewing. The Fort, along with the B-29 in 1/48 are a couple of those aircraft that really do make it hard... so much you want to do, and add, and yet, so little of the interior is actually seen. Heart breaking at times.

You're so right...and I always know its going to be unseen...but I know its there and I have pics to prove it!

I hate the way this plastic seams, no matter what you do the seam is visible because of the plastic color difference. Trust me, that seam is smoooooth.

Oh, I trust you it's smooth. I have a similar problem with pictures taken of some of the seam work - it's superglue that's filling in the gap, so sometimes it looks like a huge crack, when really it's smooth as well. Looking good though, looking really good.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thats the main reason I stick to 1/32 builds, the detail IS visible even when enclosed...for the most part.

Part of it is just the process we do, we build, detail and paint because we can, because we love to...and we hope that if you look just right, with juuust the right lighting....you can see that hard work.

This weeks goal is to get all 4 engined painted, washed, drybrushed and attached/cowl'd.

I did try thinning the cowl flaps to see if it would make any difference in appearance....nope it didnt. Thats fine with me as its less fiddly stuff to do.

I did paint the wheels flat black though!

lol, it "seams" i have it under control...lol

I painted all 4 motors last night, need a final wash and they're done. Also threw some color on the cowling interiors, weathered them and the same for the firewalls.

Im going to make "curtains" for the cockpit roof windows as im assuming they would be used or blacked out to hide the muzzle flash from the upper turret. I haven't seen any pics showing muzzle flash suppressors on that station.

Finished painting the motors, landing gear and wheels, waist guns (still need suppressors) started playing with supercharger weathering.

5368222195_167869c4c7_z.jpg

need to get you a better shot, the crankcase cover is grey.

5368831644_f7d00d5e40_z.jpg

Pre last wash.

5368222451_3ac7e32444_z.jpg

"lemme hear ya guns...yang yang yang yang yang"

5368222555_cea205018b_z.jpg

Box is getting empty

5368831896_9fbc0503a0_z.jpg

Testing weathering on the turbo superchargers

5368222719_fdf106654b_z.jpg

Finished gear legs/wheels

Edited by Shawn M

Looking really good Shawn. If I might add one suggestion - if it's not too late. As your Fortress III will have the LG up, you may want to consider extending the 'shock' removing the appearance of weight on the MLG. However, that being said - I know when I did this for one of the Forts I did some time ago, that it'll then need to have the top end of the leg shaved in order to make it fit. Was it really noticeable? Only when looking directly up at it. So, take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

The engines look superb, everything does so far. Bang on job!

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, Im having a fun time on this one!

I thought about doing the oleos on the gear, but then realized I'd also have to do the scissors....I then painted it silver and called it good. lol :thumbsup:

Crap! I totally forgot about the supressors! No idea here of what to do there.

Your fort is coming along nicely, do you have the fuse sealed up then? Looks like it in the pic.

Any idea how to attach all the PE antennas? Not looking forward to that.

The Fuse is all sealed up.

Flash suppressors will be made 1 of 2 ways. Fine craft cone for jewelry use or stretched drilled sprue.

To attach all the PE bits, some will go into predrilled holes, the surface mount ones will be attached with RC56 canopy glue.

All the main resin bits are now attached!

Since I could NOT find a picture, anywhere, of the flame dampers on the exhaust I had to "go with my gut"..really hope its right...but with no "real" proof I say it right! :P

5371430636_2d56e75902_z.jpg

5371430708_6bd02513d2_z.jpg

5370825785_fc1a9abdea_z.jpg

Added the "window" chutes to the rear fuse, again went with best judgment here using the resources I have.

5371430976_587e2a5989_z.jpg

5371431042_c9c7e908de_z.jpg

5370826037_76c41bf3a8_z.jpg

Awesome! Looking damn good there shawn.

From what I can find on the flame dampers, you look like you have them in the right place. I couldnt find anything for sure, the best I have is the color profile for the decal sheet I have, and it shows them in that spot. I didnt even think about those till I saw the pics and had to go look at that real quick.

lol, Propduster you got me on that one, I cant make the great resonance of 4 engines but I tried as I zoomed over my stuff.

The flame dampers, man they bug me. I dont see how they would work without effecting turbo performance? I hate hate hate the way the inner ones are angled but the exhaust piping is, so they must be as well right?

I looked through all my ref. material on them, and a glimpse here or there is all I can see. The web turns up nothing and the "Aircraft of the 100th Bomb Group" mentions them, but has no details.

Thanks for the compliments gang!

Exactly, I couldnt anything on them. Dont understand how they being where they are.

I figured they'd go on the wastegate outlets, not some random expansion box before the turbos. My car would kill me if I did that pre turbo.

I cant see why they would be before the turboslike that. Back when i was living in buffalo, I wasnt far from the airport. There was a C-47/DC-3 that used to operate out of there all the time. I got lucky a few times and saw her low in the sky at night, and was suprised to to see how much of a flame she put of the engines, pretty cool to see at night.

Hey shawn, I've got an idea for the flash hiders on the guns. I'm gonna get the quickboost lancaster gun barrels, they have the hiders. Cut them off and install them onto the kit guns. Maybe even use the whole barrels, as how they are meant to be used. Looking at them again, they look pretty close to the .50 barrels. Either way i'm gonna order them and get the solution needed.

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/48047.jpg