Yes, that does make a lot of sense!

Kris,

Are you planning on building this and then having it go out as a prize for the auction still? Just curious as I've got some ideas I'd like to toss by you with regards to how it could go. If you're planning on keeping it - I'll smile, whisper something about "selfish jerk" under my breath and carry on. Hahaha...

Mark.

Yes, that does make a lot of sense!

Kris,

Are you planning on building this and then having it go out as a prize for the auction still? Just curious as I've got some ideas I'd like to toss by you with regards to how it could go. If you're planning on keeping it - I'll smile, whisper something about "selfish jerk" under my breath and carry on. Hahaha...

Mark.

Still not sure. It probably should go out as a prize but at the same token I don't want to see it go into the mail and be destroyed.

Shoot me your ideas.

I think once it's done and all the names are on it and such it will definitely be submitted to the main ARC page to be immortalized.

To prove I am actually working....

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Someone's gonna have to teach me how to resize the pictures. If they were smaller they would be more clear.

Still have to detail the fuse halves then give everything a wash and scrape some silver here n there.

A-10 is decalled so that will be finished soon and more time devoted to here.

Parts dryfitted into fuselage. Everything's painted now it's time to dirty everything up. I probably won't glue the cockpit assembly in as it fits nice and snug but the radio compartment will be because it wiggles. Still have to paint up the bombay parts. Forgot about those.

IMG_0773.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can now start working on the 17s!

01.jpg

More pics will be in the completed builds forum or it's on the DSGB gallery.

I also submitted it as my first ARC article but I'm not sure if the pictures sent. Macs are weird sometimes.

Kris

IMG_0787.jpg

Spent roughly two hours today finally sifting through and organizing all the parts. I've got plenty of parts to build 2 full G models and an F model. I'll be doing them all at the same time since they're all basically painted the same. I'm leaving the one I just got that still in the box and adding all my aftermarket stuff to it. Plus I will buy more as time goes on. The Eduard stuff is so nice I'll have to get a bunch of it. Anyway that will be done not for the GB and will probably take a millenium to complete so it's out. I also might be buying a 1/72nd here soon too. Still waiting on word from that one.

Anyway hopefully I'll get started this weekend on assembly and such. I bought a Squadron B-17 book off ebay today so we'll see how long that takes to get here.

I'm always looking for more so any aftermarket stuff or books shoot me a pm.

K

Is there still time to sign up for the B-17 Group Build? I've never done one before and it sounds like fun. I'm working on a 1/48 B-24D right now, but once its finished I'm planning on going to work on the old Revell 1/48 Memphis Belle kit. I want to do it up nicely to display in my office along with a print I have signed by Col. Morgan and two other members of the crew whom I met at an air show in west TN. a few years ago.

I have to admit to loving Forts ever since I was a kid. I bet I build the old Revell 1/72 Memphis Belle kit a half dozen times when I was a young guy. To my eye the B-17 in all its variants is the best looking bomber, maybe the best looking airplane, of all times. Even though it was inferior in defensive armament to the G model, I think the F was actually more aesthetically pleasing. Something about the chin turret that throws off the symmetry of the lines for me. But even with that the G is still a lovely machine.

I'm envious of all those Fort kits. That's a nice flock! I've also got a 1/48 G in the stash that I'd love to build up as the Liberty Belle. I got to go up in her about 3 years ago and it was an experience of a lifetime. The sound of those Wright Cyclone engines roaring was music. Its an expensive 30 minutes, but worth every penny if you love these birds. Hard to imagine what it would have been like to be on one of those 8th A.A.F. bases in England in '42 through '45, hearing dozens of them lined up for take off, then roaring down the runway.

Bob

Bob it's never too late. There's 5 months left so plenty of time. Build both forts at the same time that way u can get them both done. I'm probably going to build 3 at the same time and will just be doing it in sections.

I took a ride on the Yankee Lady (or whatever it's called) a few years ago and that was awesome. Trying to talk the wife into doing it again.

I bet the pics are differant times, the bulged cheek on the right side being an addition, I'm judging this by the first pics on the left side, all small windows so early G model.

Looking over my decals it does show that the Duke has both sets of windows. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off. The second ship tiger girl also is an F with a G nose turret. I may go with a different bird there cause I don't want to hack up my F.

Got the bench cleared and am gonna sit down for a bit and see what goes together.

Looking over my decals it does show that the Duke has both sets of windows. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off. The second ship tiger girl also is an F with a G nose turret. I may go with a different bird there cause I don't want to hack up my F.

Got the bench cleared and am gonna sit down for a bit and see what goes together.

I remember when I was attempting to do 4 Forts for the little mans room in the old house... the assembly line approach I thought was the way to go... until I realized that painting up 16 props, 16 engines, 40 MG's, etc... etc... etc... was a bit much. So I did one at a time, and what happened shortly after the first one was done... we moved.

Anywho, I hope you have better luck than I did, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks, guys, I think I'll try to get in on this GB. Building both Forts at the same time sounds like a good idea. Work on one while the work on the other one sets up or dries.

Bob

Bob,

Yep, just toss up on the "Who's Building What" as to what you're doing, as Karl said, we'll toss you on the list, and yes, by all means, feel more than free to join in on the build! If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Mark.

The assembly line was rolling last night...

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

...and the PBR was flowing!

Had a good talk with B-17guy today while I grilled some steaks and smoked a cigar in the garage. Hopefully get with him soon and swap parts and general meet n greet.

Doubt I'll get to anything tonight as I'm working on our taxes right now.

haahaahahahaha :rofl:

i cna see some one found a new Hobby !!

Just a picture I found.

Although to properly reflect where I'm at today that should be an ice sculpture. I've never seen so much ice in my driveway. Thank god for having a garage.

And as I type this it is currently pouring outside and the temp is dropping rapidly. It's going to be an ugly day.

batten down the hatches buddy!

If I weren't babysitting all day everyday I might actually get something done.

Although on the research front I have gotten a lot of info on my grandfather.

I'm pretty positive I know the aircraft number of the ship he was on during the Memmingen mission in which 14 of the 26 483rd B-17s were shot down. He was also credited for shooting down 2 German fighters himself and the navigator and radio operator on his ship were both awarded the Silver Star.

Anyone have any info on 42-102922? Would be greatly appreciated. I'm 95% certain this was the bird in the crew photos where they are in front of the aircraft.

I also discovered the number of the aircraft he flew overseas with. Flak88 found this for me and I confirmed it at another source. I believe Flak has some pictures of it as well.