B-17 Reference Information

Folks,

This pinned thread here is intended for anyone who has any helpful information on B-17's (ranging from the 299 to all other variants), that can be of use. If you've got a question, by all means post it up here, we can try to get the answer for you too.

With reference to B-17 model products and info, I ask that you keep that within your own build thread.

Cheers!

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

I'll start, what the heck: There are NO screens in the intakes of the B-17. Yes, I know the B-17 currently flying in the Memphis markings has them. Now the oil coolers (between the engine nacelles) are a different story! :unsure: And those two tubes are for the battery vents. This is on the right side between the fuselage and the #3 engine. There is only one battery on the left side.

B-17Details004.jpg

Edited by 100th BG

Here is the oil cooler. It has a couple of screens in front of it. They are slightly staggred and each covers a little over half of the opening. This was so that if ice were to build up on them, there would still be airflow to the cooler. Sorry it is kind of dark. The horizontal mesh is the ice screen.

B-17Details005.jpg

Edited by 100th BG

Karl,

Thanks for starting us out!

If one were to take a flashlight and shine it down in there (in the air intakes from your first picture), what would be found or seen?

Cheers!

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha
Karl,

Thanks for starting us out!

If one were to take a flashlight and shine it down in there (in the air intakes from your first picture), what would be found or seen?

Cheers!

Mark.

The (unpainted) ducting runs back a ways and then turns. How far back depends on the engine:

Intakes.jpg

Here are a few quick links, threads that within them had a lot of great information:

LMM research page with a lot of great info on what happens in the hangars.

The First GB Thread where near the end there was some great information as well

Phils hints on searching for B-17 images as well as a bit of info on the noses of B-17's

Thread on B-17 Stencils

Quick blurb on the Chin Turrets and colour

wow this is great! thanks gang.

I dont have much to add as most of my research is on my PC, not the web.

http://www.luchtoorlog.be/b17.htm

This site is great, the thread is long and loads slowly but some great images!

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/...=26&t=29083

Edited by Shawn M
Mark, weren't you asking about what was under the cockpit floor? Here is the view aft under the top turret:

LowerFuselage.jpg

I was indeed asking. I'm a little confused on the placement though - I was under the impression that the floor was flat under the top turret, and aft of that it'd be the bomb-bay. I am so confused right now...

A quick shot from the training fields where maintainers were learning how to do engine swaps of the Wright-Cyclone R-1820's... or so I thought... I started looking closer and saw that she's still got her 50's, as well as what's in the back ground... looks more and more like a full our swap of 4 of the radials on an active war time bomber. If anyone's got any more info on this one it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm putting this picture up mainly to show the 6 engines, and the 4 exposed firewalls:

trainingfield.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Would anyone be able to post up a good shot or information on what is found at the joint between the wings and the fuselage? Specifically, what is on the aft portion if you were to remove the wings.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

So I remembered years ago I picked up this obscure DVD on ebay entitled "How to Fly The B-17". I've never actually watched it but it's supposed to be like an old army training video. I guess I'll throw it in now and see what it's about.

So I remembered years ago I picked up this obscure DVD on ebay entitled "How to Fly The B-17". I've never actually watched it but it's supposed to be like an old army training video. I guess I'll throw it in now and see what it's about.

What!? :thumbsup: I watch stuff like that as soon as it hits my house!

Ok Fortress freaks a quick question.... Was there certain production blocks at Boeing,Douglas & Vega when the vents were added to the upper wing tips to vent the fumes from the toyko tanks... Atleast i presume thats why they were added. The two B-17G's on my shortlist were -5-VE & -10-VE respectively so i want to know should these have the vented wingtips or not?. Cheers Gary

I remember asking about this a good while ago and a few people told there was no such thing, lol.

I dont know what production blocks had them, I would try to see if the one you want to model has them or not. Here's pic for refference

P8080861.jpg

nother one

P8080837.jpg

The vents circled in red were for the hot air heating system. This system did not appear until the B-17G-80-BO (Boeing built), -50-VE (Lockheed Vega), and -50-DL (Douglas). It seems to me that one of the aftermarket sets provides these, but I just thought I would give you a heads up to not use them indiscriminately. Thank you to Stephen for permission to use his photo! And if you are going to build a late airplane with that system, there is a mod to the inboard exhausts you would need to do.

I still need to try and find out when the wing tip vents appeared (as in the posts from B-17 Guy and Mungo 1974), but they were also done as a mod as time and manpower allowed. So, to date, I can't come up with any hard and fast answers. Sorry about that! :unsure:

wing_vents_stbd_innermod.jpg

Edited by 100th BG