B-17 Reference Information

While Mark is detailing his radio compartment oxygen equipment, I thought I would take a moment to point out there were two different oxygen systems used in the B-17. The constant flow system was used through the mid F series so it was installed in the Memphis Belle. This is the system that used those rubber bladders like we remember Gregory Peck breathing into in "Twelve O'Clock High".

The system:

Constantflowsystem.jpg

The regulator:

A9reg.jpg

The demand system used the bigger hose and the bigger round regulator:

DemandSystem.jpg

A12Reg.jpg

The demand system also had a pressure gauge and a blinker which showed the system was working:

PressureGauge.jpg

Blinker.jpg

Just in case anybody wants to know... :woot.gif:

I found some more pictures of a top turret. This one is on display at the 390th BG Museum inside the Pima Museum. The turret itself was pretty much the same for the E, F, and most G's with the only real change being the dome. There was another turret installed in very late G's like the one in "Sentimental Journey" and "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" but I have been unable to determine if they actually made it to combat. I believe the one is SSSB is not correct for the airplane.

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

Edited by 100th BG

Absolutely fantastic stuff. Many thanks to both of you! Those photos will be very helpful to me working up my two Memphis Belles. Working with those photos and the information I've gotten specifically on the Belle from Karl and others will, I hope, let me get her paint scheme more accurately represented and give me some great information for such scratch building as my limited skills and talent will allow. I feel like somebody has just handed me the keys to the candy store!

Bob

ok, so I had an idea this morning.

How were the RAF's fortresses painted for delivery to the UK?

In the "Aircraft of the 100th BG" book there is a pic of one showing overpainted US markings. Were they surplus airframes or new builds? Could also be much like all the other Fortress III's that each one was different.

I may need to do another kit as a diorama showing the conversion to a Fortress 3!

I'd use the new tooling 1/72 kit or another 1/48 kit.

I think they pretty much went straight from the factory to the RAF up until America really got into things then their number dwindled. At that point I think they may have given them leftovers already in theater but not sure on that. I just read in one of my books about that so I'll have to look through and see which one. I think from the factory they were camouflaged but the RAF added the black underneath I believe. I may be way off though and pulling things out of my arse. I just shoveled 9 more inches of snow out of my driveway and am really innervated right now.

On a side note for the turrets can you imagine how loud it would be with your head in that dome? OMG.

Edited by Bigasshammm

I seem to recall reading somewhere maybe Martin Streetly's Confound & Destroy?...that early 100 Group Fortresses (late B-17F's/early B-17G's) came from 8th AF units. I believe the later Fortress III's were picked from from stocks held at Burtonwood,by mid '44 there was no shortage of brand new B-17's there. All the equipment changes were done here in the Uk,as we already know it seems there wasn't any standard fit when it came to 100Group aircraft.

Guys,

Anyone one know what colour the Higgins liftboats were on WW2 Vintage B-17H's?

Obviously postwar SB-17G's were yellow,but i can't find much on the early WW2 conversions.

Since i don't think i'm ever gotta get time to do my 1/48 kit,i'm thinking of doing a quick 'n dirty 1/72 kit...and got thinking about maybe doing one of the 4 B-17H's used by the 5th ERS at Halesworth in April'45 as something alittle different.

These birds were all combat veterans from other Bomb Groups declared surplus that were patched up and comverted.

So anyone got any info or best guess.

Cheers

Gary

I seem to recall reading somewhere maybe Martin Streetly's Confound & Destroy?...that early 100 Group Fortresses (late B-17F's/early B-17G's) came from 8th AF units. I believe the later Fortress III's were picked from from stocks held at Burtonwood,by mid '44 there was no shortage of brand new B-17's there. All the equipment changes were done here in the Uk,as we already know it seems there wasn't any standard fit when it came to 100Group aircraft.

would these have been NMF or OD/Grey?

I need a copy of that book it would seem.