B-17 Reference Information

Here are some more antenna details for the command and liason radios:

The angle on the VHF antenna for the command antenna (as shown in the first screen capture above):

Belle2-24-06015.jpg

The angle that the command antenna attached to and the insulator for the lead in:

Belle2-24-06016.jpg

Just forward and above the window is the inside view of the command antenna insulator:

Belle2-24-06013.jpg

This is the liason antenna insulator. The antenna attached directly to the insulator.

Belle2-24-06012.jpg

And no, that puke green is NOT original!

http://www.footnote.com/image/#32442700

Edited by 100th BG
  • 2 weeks later...

Possibly stupid question...

So no matter what all 17s had the de-icer boots? If they didn't they were field removed due to taking damage and shredding and causing extra drag so the crews removed them. Therefore if they were removed it would just be bare metal where they were originally correct? So even though a lot of these decal sheets show no de-icer boots and no bmf in the same area they are not correct?

Just want to make sure. That's about the last thing I have to do to the 1/72nd so I need to know for sure what I should be doing.

I have a few showing the wing leading edge painted OD after boot removal, it seems to be just a single unprimed coat of paint as it's flaked badly and in one instance is scraping off as a fire hose rubs against it.

I also have images somewhere of one particular aircraft, at Kimbolton IIRC, where the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser has been painted white, no bad idea as it's just the right height to walk into in the blackout. :wacko:

Yea I didn't think it very common they were ever painted OD after removal. I'll go ahead and paint them black then as I have all the props and tires to paint still. Just clearcoated it now so hopefully tomorrow I can paint some black. Then at least I'll have one done!

Another dumb question.

Did the wheel hubs vary or were they neutral grey?

I know some had hub covers that were colorful and such but for the most part a general B-17 would just have NG hubs correct?

Also...

B-17-Thunderbird.jpg

Those are black walkways correct?

Just reflecting so they look somewhat grey.

I'm going to do Thunderbird more as the air show bird then as a WWII ship so she'll be cleaner and more intricately painted.

Should these walkways be on WWII birds or was that at their discretion?

I know there was some debate about this earlier. Sifted through some pages but didn't find it.

Thanks

K

Edited by Bigasshammm

Wheels - Have a look at the 100th BG OD Fort. The wheel looks natural metal to me compared to the NG underside of the aircraft -

http://www.100thbg.com/mainmenus/airplanes...anes11/er19.jpg

I've never seen wartime photos with walkways like on the aircraft in your post. They are normally thin black lines or thin dashes at certain points along the spar.

Wheels - Have a look at the 100th BG OD Fort. The wheel looks natural metal to me compared to the NG underside of the aircraft -

http://www.100thbg.com/mainmenus/airplanes...anes11/er19.jpg

I've never seen wartime photos with walkways like on the aircraft in your post. They are normally thin black lines or thin dashes at certain points along the spar.

So if I painted the gear aluminum then wheels aluminum too. With a dark wash they'll look grey that will work.

Yeah being an air show bird she's probably a lot different. As I've been looking at pictures of her today I notice no de-icer boots and no nmf leading edges either which means L/E painted OD!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PGB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My project can continue, up date to come in my build thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta make up at least one mock up first though!!!!!

No problem mate,

I remembered you were after details of these while I was there, and thought I'd better get the shots while I had the chance.

All the best,

Paul

Edited by PGB

A few more detail shots...

MD5.jpg

MD8.jpg

MD7.jpg

MD9.jpg

MD6.jpg

Late-model ball turret, an A-2B or maybe even an A-2C.

These differed from the A-2 and A-2A models primarily by having had external ammunition feeds (more capacity than the internal storage alone), different window arrangements and a different gun barrel adjusting plate on the outside.

If the green-painted interior is original then this is an Emerson-built turret, Briggs-built ones were grey inside.

NOTE: The access door and the gun rear hatches have been replaced by perspex on this display example so people can see inside:

MD1.jpg

MD3.jpg

MD2.jpg

All the best,

PB

Hi guys does anyone know if "A Bit O' Lace" had the staggered waist positions or not?

TIA

Hi Darren: "A Bit O' Lace was a B-17G-40-VE. Since Vega did not start staggering waist windows until block 50, she would have had unstaggered windows. HTH, Karl

Here is a link to a page dedicated to "Miss lace" and it has a good color photo of the right side showing the unstaggered waist window.

http://bates-r-us.org/abitolace/

Edited by 100th BG

I don't know how useful these photos might be, but I was invited by a friend who does volunteer work at EAA Oshkosh to visit the B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" when she was there for a 120 hour inspection on June 22, 2011. I was able to tour the inside of the airplane all by myself, no one else in the plane. That allowed me to take a few good and hopefully useful photos. If you guys think there are too many and they aren't useful let me know and I'll delete what you don't want.

Scott Wilson

121a.jpg

117a.jpg

115a.jpg

114a.jpg

113a.jpg

112a.jpg

111a.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

110a.jpg

109a.jpg

108a.jpg

Looking in from gunner's hatch at tail wheel well:

103a.jpg

Looking in from tail gunner's hatch at a mannequin dressed up as the gunner. The wood boxes held the tail gun ammo (ignore the gray toolbox in the foreground):

104a.jpg

Tail gunner's hatch:

101a.jpg

100a.jpg