B-17 Reference Information

082a.jpg

083a.jpg

085a.jpg

The EAA B-17 won't have a top turret mechanism installed because squeezing past it by some of their, ahem, larger passengers might prove difficult to impossible. Here's all the top turret she'll ever have:

086a.jpg

View from the nose compartment across the bomb bay to the rear. The yellow oxygen bottle is on the ball turret mechanism:

089a.jpg

Duuuuuuuuude! My jaw hurts from repeatedly hitting the floor!

Thank you for these pictures!!!

I take it these photos will be useful to you? I'm glad I could help. I have no idea how wartime B-17s were painted inside; I'm personally more into jets. I believe Aluminum Overcast had a pretty long history of owners before EAA acquired it, perhaps one of them painted the interior green.

Scott W.

• 1 month later...

I saw a colour Youtube video the other day of B-17 'A Bit O Lace' and other Forts from the group. A couple of the shots of a Natural Metal B-17 showed the wing walkway lines to be Red, rather than black. I still can't find an answer as to when red and black was used, either by manufacturer, date etc. Comments earlier in the thread stated that people had seen black and red on OD B-17's. I've only seen photos of black on OD aircraft and red and black on NM aircraft.

Has anyone got any photos of red on OD planes?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone

so glad I found this great thread! I am scratchbuilding a 1/32 B-17G based on the combat models vacform model. I am currently working on the top turret & what I really need are detailed pics - I've been through this entire thread & found some good ones.....but what I really lack are images of all the gubbins in front of / behind the hand controls & gunsight - ie the stuff you see forward of you when standing upright in the turret - so the mounting points for the guns, the stuff directly in front of you such as the mount for the gunsight, the feed mechanism for the guns, wiring and cogs and gears behind the hand conrol / grip & underneath the gunsight etc

also the outside features of the railings / mounts for the ammo boxes - the inside of the longest rail has a kind of hash pattern thusly # but does the outside?

any help greatly appreciated