B-17 Reference Information

Here are a few shots of the wing roots:

WingrootRight.jpg

WingrootLeft.jpg

Wingrootparts.jpg

In the right wing root upper photo, you can see the engine fire extinguisher bottles. These were later moved under the cockpit from the G-80- BO airplanes. No telling for Vega and Douglas.

For my LMM Diorama Karl, when I remove the trailing edge portion of the wing root, would that be piece No. 1 in the very last picture? If so, what would be seen between the two sections that this exposes? TIA.

Mark.

Not sure if previously posted but this website

8th AF historical Society

Has a ton of info.

I'm scouring it right now trying to find anything on my grandpa. Talked to mom and uncle on New Years and my uncle is supposed to be giving me some sort of diary he kept. I'm thinking the info would be in there but between the two of them they know nothing and all they know or "think" is he was in the 8th af .

Well duh.

I'm trying to find a complete list of crew members of 17s in the 8th and I can't find one. I'll look at every name if I have to.

Now a question from me.

On the wings of B-17's, there are either solid black lines or dotted lines indicating walkways. I've seen Boeing B-17F's and G's with the dotted lines, but also solid lines. Were the differences down to the different manufacturers, batch numbers, aircraft mark or painters getting lazy and trying to save time/paint etc.

Any ideas guys?

My opinion is that that is a very trivial thing. I wouldnt stress about that at all, mainly because I dont have an answer to the question. I would just go with red lines for an OND and black lines on a NMF plane.

Here are a few shots of the wing roots:

WingrootRight.jpg

WingrootLeft.jpg

Wingrootparts.jpg

In the right wing root upper photo, you can see the engine fire extinguisher bottles. These were later moved under the cockpit from the G-80- BO airplanes. No telling for Vega and Douglas.

Anyone want to build me something similar to this to attach to the Fuselage front I'm building? It obviously won't have wings and I'm no scratch builder.

perfect chance to learn!

I don't have the tools or supplies.

I'm really low on general modeling supplies as a whole. Just picked it back up middle of last year and don't have the money on hand to get everything i need/want.

Here is the installation from the parts manual:

Trailingantinst.jpg

Here is a photo of one as installed in a B-25. The one on the B-17 did not stick out this far. I don't know why they have the tube painted that strange color. The part they have painted black was a weight that helped draw the antenna wire out and stabilize it. The reel of wire was 400 feet long according to the one I have. Also, the other antenna (the straight one) is for the IFF. The B-17 had one of these also under the radio compartment towards the bombay. I can get a better location for you a little later.

TrailingAnt.jpg

I'll see if I can come up dimensions for you, but it might not be until next weekend.

Karl, thats perfect! Thank you for the quick response!

I noticed the kit has the mechanism moulded in, I marked the exterior for the feed tube to go and now I have a good pic to build from.

Thank you.

Some photos I just scanned...

A stowed waist 50.

B17007.jpg

Nearly complete G fuselage moves down the Vega assembly line.

B17005.jpg

B-17G-VE Forts on the assembly line July 29th 1945

B17003.jpg

cutaway

B17002.jpg

I found this one interesting. With caption...

B17006.jpg

She was quite the looker...

Thanks for the pics kris, the factory pics are pretty interesting, note the the first one, early G, has no enlarged cheeks windows.

And the second pic shows either a late E or early F, I like the lamp that can bes seen on the bombadiers control panel.

I love the production line pics like that! Anybody know a good source for them?

Edited by B-17 guy

OK gang, whats THE answer to this question.

What are the correct colors for the .50 cals on these aircraft?

In some pics they are overall blued gun metal, in others the rear brace is grey/silver, others still show a silver/grey body and blued barrel?

Whats what and whats right?

Shawn,

Just from my personal experience with the .50's, the newer they are the closer they are to a black/blued gun metal.

With increased usage, and age, they began to fade a little to a black/charcoal kind of colour, while along the prominantly used edges the blueing would wear down and chip off. The Barrels themselves, no matter what I did to them wouldn't lose much of their colour (but that's the Quick Change Barrel - not what the Forts had on them).

As for the mounts, I've seen some models with green for the metal mount, but have yet to see an actual picture of that. The mounts themselves would be a silver, natural metal colour.

Inside the .50, the feed paws were a dark natural metal, along with the top of the breach block as well, just from being worn down from usage. The spade grips were black, and back then a wooden colour for the grips themselves. Same goes for the cocking handle as well.

The barrel and the body would be fairly similar in colour/wear/tear, etc.

Hope this helps a little - I mean, afterall, the body is the same as it was then, just a different date stamp.