B-17 Reference Information

Does anybody have any tips/ideas/tricks as to modifying the 1/49 B-17G kit to reflect the staggered waist gun configuration?

Matt :bandhead2:

If I were to do that I'd probably fill whichever side you wanted to change ( I honestly don't know if they'd both need changed or just one side) with styrene sheet, sand smooth, then re-cut your new waist gun windows. Would also have to rescribe any lines lost and refit a bumpout for the air deflectors. Probably a lot of work.

Posted this in the aviation art forum as I figured they may be the place to get this but also putting it here if you guys know a resource as well. What I need is generic blank line drawings of a B-17G both the profiles and the upper/lower wing surfaces. I want to be able to print these so I can take the various pictures I have to make myself my own decal/markings/paint guide. If you're not understanding what I'm looking for just ask and I'll try n be more clear. Basically I want the pictures that would come with a decal sheet minus all the markings and paint. So basically black and white drawings of a B-17G so I can then add the markings myself with pencil and color also.

If anyone can do this or knows where I could get this please let me know.

If compensation is needed we can work something out.

Thanks a ton.

Kris

... What I need is generic blank line drawings of a B-17G both the profiles and the upper/lower wing surfaces. I want to be able to print these...So basically black and white drawings of a B-17G so I can then add the markings myself with pencil and color also.

Thanks a ton.

Kris

Not be sure of your existent software capability's; but if you have an "art/photoshop" type program you could scan in an existing dwg you have and then delete/cover the markings. Then save the new-revised dwg to your hard drive. Then print- create to your hearts content.

just in case, you dont have anything, heres a couple of FREE programs.

PAINT.NET

GIMP

HTH Good luck

Ok this is eeery...

This is my grandfather's picture that we have the original copy of...

SCAN0032.jpg

And this is on the 483rd BGs photo page...

105.jpg

seen here.

I've put in an email to the contact person of the site so we'll see if they get back with me.

Not particularly unusual. Apparently, original copies of these things were widely distributed or available.

We have several in my grandfather's collection that we have originals of, but that I have seen attributed to other individuals over time.

Hard to pin down who owns what in these cases.

Did they ever get back to you?

What would be the color for seat cushions and backpads for the pilot and copilot? I've seen some suggestions they may be yellow. Also, what about lap belts, were they olive drab?

Jake

I'm thinking they were either OD or perhaps a light tan (which would look yellowish) The Belts I also believe to be tan. It probably varied by manufacturer and time period as well as most parts and painting guides did.

Big ole request for pictures/schematics of the top turret typically found on a B-17G-35-VE... yep, LMM. The more the better... she looks like a complicated piece of kit, that requires more than just randomly glueing all the small parts my carpet has collected over the last few months...

Google search and other search related tasks I've performed on sites has shown some, but not all of what would typically be seen. As there is going to be quite a bit of it visible, I would like to have a better understanding of what's where and how it looked.

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

You're outta your mind? I'm still up to you know!

Thanks Karl. What I'm really looking for I guess, is if you were to take the top 'dome' off, like popping off the top of... ummmm... something round with a lot of stuff inside, what would be seen with the top turret?

Cheers! Now get some sleep!

Mark.