Well, after getting the new Revell B-17G for Christmas and having a good look at the sprues, I realized that it wouldn't be that hard to convert the kit to an RCAF Fort.

You could say that I sorta have a fondness for the B-17, but since I try to build Canadian planes, my options are pretty limited. The RCAF flew six as mail transports in the war (9202-9207) and there were two flown postwar by Kenting Aviation of Oshawa, Ontario (they owned a third but it never flew in Canada).

I currently have four started Forts on the shelf. An Academy B-17E started as a late-war 9205, an Academy B-17F started as 9202 upon delivery, an Academy SB-17G started as Kenting's CF-HBP (which is currently under restoration at the Mighty Eighth Museum in Savannah, GA), and a Revell 48th B-17G converted to 9203.

Anyway, after hearing all the good things about the Revell Fort, I'm getting pretty fidgety to get started on it. I've had the CanMilAir decal set for a while now so I guess I'd better dig it out too.

I don't have any photos of the model yet (ie sprue shots), but here's a profile of the Fort in question:

9204.jpg

And here's a shot I took at Thunder Over Michigan back in August for all you Fortress fans:

IMG_1993_small.jpg

Hopefully I can get some photos for the next post.

:(

Edited by rcaf_100

Here's a perfect example of why you need to check your references more carefully... :doh:

I was going through the kit this evening taking all the parts not needed (ie turrets, etc) off the sprues.

When I was test fitting the nose panel pieces I noticed that they are the opposite of 9204's nose. However, it is identical to 9203's nose! :)

Sooooo... guess what? It's now going to be built as 9203. (B-17F-45-VE 42-6101) :whistle:

This particular aircraft was the first RCAF Fortress to successfully deliver transatlantic airmail (9204 had to make an emergency landing in Ireland on the first trip over, so 9203 was the first to land in Prestwick) as well as being the first Fortress to deliver airmail to Canadian troops in Italy in time for Christmas in 1943.

She was later lost at sea without a trace (exactly one year to the day when she inaugurated the transatlantic airmail service).

I also learned that none of the supplied nose cones are the correct one I need.

The one on 9203 (and 9204) was similar to the one on the Memphis Belle (blown out with the internal framework to support the .50 cals)

I'm looking at the Squadron vacformed sets, and can't decide between set 9140 and 9175. Is there a difference? Any advice would be helpful. :pray:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php...mp;save_search=

Updates with pictures soon... I promise!

:cheers:

Shane

That's one of the biggest problems with modeling forts, you 72nd scale guys have it a bit easier though. But there are so many differant configurations of the b-17's nose, mainly the F model. Vega decided they would be differant from boeing and douglas with the configuration of the enlarged windows on the F models. On the G models, things were much more uniform, and there was very little modifications made to the G nose.

I got around to taking a couple of pictures before I start the build.

IMG_5073_small.jpg

The book in the background, 'Canada's Wings 2: Consolidated Liberator and Boeing Fortress' is the ultimate reference for Canadian Libs and Forts.

Close up of nose.

IMG_5075_small.jpg

Side profile

IMG_5077_small.jpg

I decided to use the larger of the two kit nose cones instead of an aftermarket vacformed one since I don't think anyone is going to know the difference.

Anyway, here's a couple views of the real 9203.

Upon delivery in December 1943.

9203_delivery.jpg

Notice the last three digits of the USAAF tail number 42-6101 on the nose as well as the brand new prop on engine #1.

All the RCAF Forts were formerly stateside trainers and already had the turrets removed.

9203 after completing 5 trips (5 mailbags painted on nose).

9203_1944.jpg

After delivery, all RCAF Forts had the navigator and radio positions moved to directly behind the flight deck to create more cargo space, so the astrodome was relocated from the nose to the upper turret patch.

Now on to the build!

:nanner:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess it's about time for an update. I've been working away at the interior and will be starting to mess around with the wings soon.

I had painted the nose and radio room interion green, but after checking the references I realized that they should be Dark Dull Green for a B-17F.

The closest match I had was Imperial Japanese Navy Green, which I have around for Harvard interiors (which are also Dark Dull Green) so I used that.

Unfortunately, it is glossy, so I'll have to tone it down with dullcote once I weather the interior with a wash.

IMG_2597_small.jpg

Since 9203 already had its turrets removed by the USAAF, I covered up the hole in the floor that used to be occupied by the ball turret with 0.005 styrene, and painted it a woody colour to simulate plywood.

It looks a lot more realistic without the flash. :wacko:

IMG_2602_small.jpg

Hopefully I can finish the interior soon, but I'm a little ticked off at myself for losing one the the radio room windows on the floor.

I've looked at least half a dozen times and haven't found it, so that's the main reason why the fuselage isn't completed yet.

Perhaps I'll work on the wings and when I drop a wing part on the floor I'll find the window! :D

Speaking of wings, I noticed that the two vents between the inboard and outboard engines have very prominent lips to them.

I've seen most of the airworthy Forts and I didn't think the lower lip stuck out this much. Am I dreaming or did Revell screw it up?

IMG_2599_small.jpg

I was also looking through my other B-17 kits and I noticed in my SB-17 kit I have to build Kenting's CF-HBP the nose glazing for the F is included, so I think I solved my nose problem!

IMG_2601_small.jpg

And here's something I pick up off eBay from the folks restoring the B-17E Desert Rat in Illinois. I think it will look pretty good on a base. :D

More on the Desert Rat here: http://www.aerovintage.com/rat-1.htm

At Thunder Over Michigan I got to sign the inside of one of the skins going on the horizontals stabilizers. :D

IMG_2607_small.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully will have more done soon.

:D

Edited by rcaf_100

The openings between the engines were where the oil coolers were located and yes it appears the folks at Revell got a little carried away there. Here is a close up of an oil cooler and while it is a little too close, I think you can get the idea:

B-17Details005.jpg

Thanks for that, Karl. :)

I was going to sand them down a bit, but the plastic is not very thick there.

I might just leave them as you don't really notice it unless you are looking at them head-on or from underneath.

Thanks for the photo Stephen. I see what you mean about it being too low.

I'll try and thin down the lower lip, but I think the opening will stay where it is.

Just in case anyone else is interested in the 'Flying Fortress' plate, here's a link to the eBay site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160537065196

:lol:

Edited by rcaf_100
Thanks for the photo Stephen. I see what you mean about it being too low.

I'll try and thin down the lower lip, but I think the opening will stay where it is.

Just in case anyone else is interested in the 'Flying Fortress' plate, here's a link to the eBay site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160537065196

:woot.gif:

THANKS! I picked up that plate, as well as the round Boeing 'pin' for the control column. I'll be adding those to the base of my diorama (either one or both).

Really appreciate it!

Mark.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, RCAF 100, now that I have found my -F can you tell from the RCAF Fort book if 9202 had the flush cheeks? In other words can I do my Academy F out of the box so to speak?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, as long as you have the kit with the astrodome on top of the nose (not the Memphis Belle boxing).

Here's the only decently clear photo I have of 9202 (B-17F-30-DL 42-3160) on my computer right now.

There's some better ones in the book that even show a close-up of the nose (ie painting the mail bag symbols on) but I don't have them scanned.

This photo is obviously late-was since it's in NMF instead of the as-delivered OD/NG.

9202_03.jpg

You can see that it has the flush nose windows and astrodome on the nose. It also has the longer pointed nose cone (I think it'll be part #56 in the kit)

If you would like scans of the other photos let me know and I'll email them to you.

:thumbsup:

That would be great, thanks!

So it was in OD/LG earlier in it's career? That would be the scheme I would prefer, although NM is tempting I would much rather keep it simple to finish by the end of the GB!!

That's funny I am using the Memphis Belle boxing and the astro dome is on the nose!?!? 'Coz I was thinking I had to cut it off to move it to the blanking plate for the upper turret????

I'll PM you with my e-mail address, thanks. No rush got two day shifts (each 12 hrs) ahead so won't get at too much styrene til the weekend, Cheers, Graham.

That would be great, thanks!

So it was in OD/LG earlier in it's career? That would be the scheme I would prefer, although NM is tempting I would much rather keep it simple to finish by the end of the GB!!

That's funny I am using the Memphis Belle boxing and the astro dome is on the nose!?!? 'Coz I was thinking I had to cut it off to move it to the blanking plate for the upper turret????

I'll PM you with my e-mail address, thanks. No rush got two day shifts (each 12 hrs) ahead so won't get at too much styrene til the weekend, Cheers, Graham.

Yep, all the RCAF's Forts were delivered OD/NG.

9203, '04 and '07 were lost within a year or so of being delivered so only 9202, '05 and '06 were completely stripped down to NMF late in the war.

I've only got the E, generic F, and SB-17G boxings, so I didn't realize that the Memphis Belle boxing had the astrodome.

The real Belle didn't have one, so silly me for thinking Academy would do something accurate! :)

I'll get the photos scanned for you soon.

:woo:

Edited by rcaf_100

OK, the photos are sent. Hope they help.

I also should add that the fuselage type 'C1' roundels should be 54". (the roundels in the CanMilAir set are not 54")

The size of the upper wing type 'B' roundels are not known, but I do know that the upper wing roundels on the Liberators were 78", so I went with that. :thumbsup:

As for my model, I haven't been able to get much done on it. Work has been super busy lately so that doesn't leave much time for modelling.

I did, however, repaint the interior (AGAIN!) in the more correct shade of Dark Dull Green using MM Euro Dark Green (thanks Steve N!)

Hopefully I'll get some more done on it soon.

Edited by rcaf_100

Rec'd thanks very much, allows me to proceed and hopefully use this to kill 2 birds (pun intended) with one stone! It will be part of the Canuck Bird GB, also!!

Of course seeing the lads loading mail got me thinking I should build some Canada Post mail bags, but that can wait til the bird is done!!!

Thanks again.

Rec'd thanks very much, allows me to proceed and hopefully use this to kill 2 birds (pun intended) with one stone! It will be part of the Canuck Bird GB, also!!

Of course seeing the lads loading mail got me thinking I should build some Canada Post mail bags, but that can wait til the bird is done!!!

Thanks again.

Just like the real Canada Post, the mail seems to take forever until it will get delivered!

(It's a mail transport aircraft, it was only a matter of time until someone cracked a joke about Canada Post).

Cheers,

Mark.

• 2 months later...

I suppose I should give a quick update here.

I've been occupied with work and among other things, getting a Zlin model done for my sister's graduation.

IMG_5769_small.jpg

(photo thread here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=230721 )

There has been a bit of work done on 9203, but now that the Zlin is done I can focus on the Fort again.

I picked up some Paragon sets when I heard that they were closing up shop so I 'borrowed' a ball turret blanking plate from the RAF Fortress conversion set.

It'll make things go a lot quicker if I don't have to make a plug from scratch.

Hopefully I'll post another update soon (with pics).