OOB means OUT OF THE BOX!!!

Wow. To those of you who want me to "lighten up" - it was an observation. I'm not sitting here getting ready for a stroke because of it. A quick rant, not my way of life. And yes, life is great. I'm 45 years old and retired. I can basically afford any kit I want, and my wife actually doesn't mind. I have absolutely nothing to lighten up about. I wrote my piece and went on with my life. Nothing to get over. Thanks for all of the replies. Move on.

Last time I checked ARC is not IPMS so get over it :worship:

Exactly my view too. What I build is 98% OOB with resins seats added and

that has nothing to do with IPMS rules on the forums. Here on the forums

I am just letting the guys know what I added. If I should enter it in a

contest then I will NOT state OOB on the entry forum, just an F-xyz102 with

so and so's seats added.

This nitpicking of OOB on the forums vs what IPMS accepts is just down

right stupid. Knock it off.

:P

Jerry

How about NOOB? Nearly Out Of Box!

I think if you scratch build something from sheet styrene or stretched sprue..... It's still OOB, However.. Like Rex said.. aftermarket stuff... Not OOB! I don't even care though, I just wanted to say NOOB, it rhymes with B00B! If all you use is a wingtip from a kit and call it OOB, then have at it. You can call your model a purple Pegasus and hey... It's a purple Pegasus! Anyone who has built said model will know the extras added.

I'll chime in next week when we have this topic again.

Curt

does that mean anything build with alot of aftermarket and scratchbuilding could be...wait for it...BOOB, barely out of box?

This nitpicking of OOB on the forums vs what IPMS accepts is just down

right stupid. Knock it off.

:worship:

Jerry

Jerry - Don't make it personal. I'm no rivet counter, just made one observation. I'm not comparing ARC to IPMS. Don't be a punk poster with tough guy talk. Enough.

Im kinda like, "...here we go again," and at the same time I get where you are coming from.

I like to apply properly terminology, too. Yes, OOB means just that - what is in the box and nothing more.

But somewhere beyond the first model you build, you will want to add something. Especially if you are a member of a forum like this, where you are exposed to all sorts of modelers. Most of the builds you see here are at least embellished, if not out right reconstructed.

Given that, it is a stretch to imagine a modeler will not change some part of his project. "O-O-B," as a definition, begins to blur pretty fast. I mean think about it: if you even add paint to a model, it is no longer built as it comes out of the box. Out of the box, if we are to be literal means glue... and nothing else.

Fixing sinkholes? Nope.

Sanding or puttying? Absolutely not.

Trimming, nipping or correcting flaws? Fuhgeddaboudit!

So where does OOB end? I personally think it is when you replace, embellish or correct kit parts. Any part, in any way whatsoever. So in my mind, there are almost NO models built OOB. Most of us do something to a kits parts, even if is just to sand off the alignment pins for a better fit. At that point it stops being out of the box, and begins to evolve into something approaching either a work of engineering, art - or both.

I'd be content if we learn to live with the concept of "OOB," then un-bunch our pedantic pants and move on.

Edited by dahut

Can we get a ruling for the apropriate phrase to say I only added ____ and everything else is as the kit came? Preferably no wordier than OOB except for ___.

Two rants on the same subject within the past month obviously means we must be causing some people significant stress.

oh, and before I forget :pray:

Can we get a ruling for the apropriate phrase to say I only added ____ and everything else is as the kit came? Preferably no wordier than OOB except for ___.

Two rants on the same subject within the past month obviously means we must be causing some people significant stress.

Or not. A few people complaining about an obscure matter - that is TWO original complainants - do not make a crisis. That everyone chimed in with their opinion is par for the course; this is an open forum, after all. It's why we're here

But of the thousands of participants here at ARC, TWO have their nose out of joint over their personal pet peeve. TWO.

It's alright... they are entitled to *****, call out the "waaaambulance," and get it off their chests.

Good for them and Good for business, I say.

We DO NOT need to call in the Phrase Police to pass more restrictions on the rest of us because of it.

Remember the odds - TWO out of thousands. We can go ahead an' get on.

Let it die and it will.

Edited by dahut

I think for most people that aren't active in IPMS contests.....the defination of OOB and OOTB is pretty well what ever they think it is. Sure you can quote the IPMS defination to your grave.....but that is of little interest to guys that don't enter IPMS contests. I know my definition of OOB was different from IPMS.....but that's not a big deal to me as I do not choose to enter my models in a competition....I build for my own pleasure.

Last time I checked ARC is not IPMS so get over it :pray:

I totally agree!

let's not become some kind of IMPS talibans about the OOB term.

as far as i know, OOB isn't a "appellation d'origine controlée" like champaign or cognac are!

so, it is pretty much whatever you wanted it too be... like an all dress pizza may be different from place to place.(and everybody can live with)

does that mean anything build with alot of aftermarket and scratchbuilding could be...wait for it...BOOB, barely out of box?

HAHAHA You said BOOB!

I think we should have three official catigories...

OOB = Out Of Box = Just glue, paint and filler.

NOOB = Nearly Out Of Box = No more than 2 aftermarket parts allowed. Decals and scratch building allowed.

BOOB = Barely Out Of Box = No holds barred 2 year builds that even the aircrafts designer would drool over!

All of us have been OOBers. Most of us are NOOBS, and all of us drool over BOOBs!

I need to stop mixing MEK and Lacquer thinner in my hobby room!

It's all good! Lets have fun!

Curt

Curt, and any of you having fun with this (myself included)

sometimes you make me lol for real, and/or repeat a key word or two

well, I laughed and said "BOOB's",,,,,,so the Swmbo asked what that's about

umm, the Sarge then said two things,,to paraphrase,,,one is that using Boob's won't work,,,,,,because it's already in use in the modeling world,,,,she said that's probably what the other wives call their guys behind their backs

and then she said "we wives will hash this out at Omaha"

lol

so, thank you,,,,a thread on ARC made sure I'm going to the Nats

she walked away shaking her head at me, you,,,,,and especially you,,,,,,,and me again

Rex

added: oh yeah, she also doesn't ever use the word Stash the same as I do,,,,,,,,she calls it the "Black Hole over there"

Edited by Rex

jgrease,

I sympathize with our comments. Since all kits whether OOB or with aftermarket parts do start as OOB, perhaps NAP (No Aftermarket Parts) might be a better label.

To get serious, I guess that there will always be people who think that 'a little bit won't hurt,' or worse that the rules don't apply to them. I also guess that if it were truly OOB, some people might feel that their finished product might not compare well with those in regular categories or that the kit that they chose might not look as nice as a Tamagawa kit that others might choose.

Best wishes,

Grant

What should I call this if I build it? OOB?

All goodies are inside the standard box when I purchase it 3 months ago.

Help me decide please

Nope that is not an out of the box kit, everything that is needed "is not in the box". :cheers:

:cheers:

Edited by Wayne S
Wow. To those of you who want me to "lighten up" - it was an observation. I'm not sitting here getting ready for a stroke because of it. A quick rant, not my way of life. And yes, life is great. I'm 45 years old and retired. I can basically afford any kit I want, and my wife actually doesn't mind. I have absolutely nothing to lighten up about. I wrote my piece and went on with my life. Nothing to get over. Thanks for all of the replies. Move on.

That'll teach you for making an observation round here!

She told me she was a virgin . . . except for Bob, and Ted, and Jim . . . and Bill, but just once . . . oh, and Jack, but they were just kids . . . and Raoul . . . and, um . . . . . . .

wrong kind of box :whistle:

What should I call this if I build it? OOB?

All goodies are inside the standard box when I purchase it 3 months ago.

p1150_00b.jpg

Call it a lifelong project, by the look of it!

But if you make no changes, additions or further modifications then you can call it OOB - and stay within the letter of the phrase.

Putty, sanding and paint are within that realm.

Which is the OP's point, in the first place, i.e., If it aint in the box at the outset, then you cant legitimately call it OOB.

Edited by dahut

'Wow. To those of you who want me to "lighten up" - it was an observation. I'm not sitting here getting ready for a stroke because of it. A quick rant, not my way of life. And yes, life is great. I'm 45 years old and retired. I can basically afford any kit I want, and my wife actually doesn't mind. I have absolutely nothing to lighten up about. I wrote my piece and went on with my life. Nothing to get over. Thanks for all of the replies. Move on.'

One man's observation is another mans complaint.

Ranting is okay - we all do it, we're all entitled. Each of us has something that might be called a 'peeve'... some of us may have many of them. Expressing them openly is what this a forum is about.

However, Ive always said that, "If you're going to put pants on a chicken, you gotta expect people to laugh."

In this case you "observed" and "wrote your piece" and people reacted as they will: they fussed, cussed and discussed.

Some agreed with you.

Some pointed out the inanity of your observation.

Some could, indeed, care less about the matter or you.

There are many perspectives and it is the privilege of each individual to express them, just as it is yours.... even if you don't like what they say.

Like Pandora, you opened the box and released the Furies. Now you must, as they say, "deal with it."

Edited by dahut

and after all, it does say "new topic" on the button to start a thread with on a "discussion forum"

there isn't any "I want to post, get it off my chest, and not allow answers" button

You try something like that mister and we'll find you!!!

I assume the same answer for the old Airfix hanging tag bubble kits...or is that a plastic box? Do boxes have to be cardboard or a certain type of cardboard or card stock.

I'm really happy we are getting all of this settled.