Chinese New J-20 (Classfied) fighter on internet

China likes to brag. They like to posture.

The list of governments and militaries that don't like to do that would be pretty short.

It's a 100% given that they allowed (or commanded) these pictures to be released.

Whatever airfield these pictures were taken at seems to be pretty urban. There are plenty of airfields in the middle of nowhere they could have done high-speed taxi tests at. So yeah - this got seen because the PLAAF wanted it to get seen.

What its capabilities are remains to be seen. For all we know, it could be a wood mockup with an old MiG-15 engine in it to shove it down the runway. Or it could be the new scourge of the skies. It would be equally unwise to either get too worried, or to be too dismissive at this point.

Edited by Antonov
I don't think this fighter is based on stolen F-35 data. After all, from what we've seen so far, the J-20 seems to be on time, on budget, and ready to fly.

:D,Yeeeep, good one Antonov. I like your humorous style. But what you're saying is unarguably true. :D

:D,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
My dream is to have built 1/32 replicas of F-22, T-50, YF-23, F-35, and J-20 in my display case. All in operational variants and schemes, save for the YF-23. Maybe it will happen in 2018.

I would love to build a X-32 too ( BTW any drawing with cross sections ? )

cheers

Rafael Winter

What I want to know is, how big would this beast be in 1/48?

My dream is to have built 1/48 replicas of F-22, T-50, YF-23, F-35, and J-20 in my display case. All in operational variants and schemes, save for the YF-23. Maybe it will happen in 2018.

Terry

Fixed :P

If Trumpeter can be as fast as they were with J-10B, we will be building J-20 in 10 months <_<

My dream is to have built 1/32 replicas of F-22, T-50, YF-23, F-35, and J-20 in my display case. All in operational variants and schemes, save for the YF-23.

Your display case?! That's one big case you got there. Did you just win that 50mil jackpot and bought Casa Loma?!?

What I want to know is, how big would this beast be in 1/32?

My dream is to have built 1/32 replicas of F-22, T-50, YF-23, F-35, and J-20 in my display case. All in operational variants and schemes, save for the YF-23. Maybe it will happen in 2018.

Terry

I'm with you Terry!! 1/32 FTW :nanner:

Also..link for you guys, got alot of pics :nanner:http://imgur.com/a/yNmLR/1

There is a story on Chinese blogs according to which the secrets of the F-35 would have been stolen by hackers 2 years ago and were used for the design of the J-20...

If that was the case it would be very strange, because the Ufimtsev equations are available for everyone in the general public, and i cannot believe that in a country of more than 1 billion people they could not find any competent mathematicians and radar engineers to design their own stealth design without resorting to a simple "copy and paste" technique... (F-22 nose and cockpit, F-35 inlets).

I will reserve my judgements concerning the effectiveness of their design, both from an RCS point of view and from a maneuverability and electronic equipment point of view because it is obviously too early, but based on what i know from the way they design items made of metal (workmanship, quality control) and soldering (quality control), alloy quality, and general design of metal items and integration of electronics (quality control)(I have seen some good Chinese made consumer products, but you have to really dig to find them), i would expect they will have problems. That said, their military material for high end programs like the J-20 might have some better quality control than even their best consumer products, since those are programs that are managed by the military and the state, thus i expect they had more stringent quality control, but i still think they will have problems, given that the technology level and innovation thrives more in the West and that relying on reverse-engineering is usually a poor way to update (well... depends... V-2 rockets turbopumps to Atlas and Titan and Saturn launchers, but admittedly, rocket technology have evolved more slowly than the technologies used for fighter aircrafts).

Edited by Stratospheremodels
There is a story on Chinese blogs according to which the secrets of the F-35 would have been stolen by hackers 2 years ago and were used for the design of the J-20...

I thought it was revealed by US officials that nothing compromising was stolen?

If that was the case it would be very strange, because the Ufimtsev equations are available for everyone in the general public, and i cannot believe that in a country of more than 1 billion people they could not find any competent mathematicians and radar engineers to design their own stealth design without resorting to a simple "copy and paste" technique... (F-22 nose and cockpit, F-35 inlets).

I will reserve my judgements concerning the effectiveness of their design, both from an RCS point of view and from a maneuverability and electronic equipment point of view because it is obviously too early, but based on what i know from the way they design items made of metal (workmanship, quality control) and soldering (quality control), alloy quality, and general design of metal items and integration of electronics (quality control)(I have seen some good Chinese made consumer products, but you have to really dig to find them), i would expect they will have problems. That said, their military material for high end programs like the J-20 might have some better quality control than even their best consumer products, since those are programs that are managed by the military and the state, thus i expect they had more stringent quality control, but i still think they will have problems, given that the technology level and innovation thrives more in the West and that relying on reverse-engineering is usually a poor way to update (well... depends... V-2 rockets turbopumps to Atlas and Titan and Saturn launchers, but admittedly, rocket technology have evolved more slowly than the technologies used for fighter aircrafts).

I dont see anything on these pictures that may let to this blatant conclusion: "copy and paste" technique... (F-22 nose and cockpit, F-35 inlets)."

J-20 design is quite original.

Now i don't want to get in trouble with Waco (dives for cover, trailing the Octopus behind me), but i just saw in a special issue French magazine on the Rafale a photo of it taken during air-combat with the F-22 in the United Emirates recently where I saw an F-22 in the sights of the Rafale (not the same pic and aircraft attitude as in the link below, and different magazine). They had the same quote saying that the F-22 was difficult to acquire but not impossible to lock-on, as proven by the picture (now two pics that i have seen).

I always thought that the Canadian Forces should get the Rafale, because it was long said to be equivalent to the F-22 by its pilots. I prefer an aicraft that can pull high G's anytime over one that is only able to de as many G's as an old 1950's F-4 Phantom... even if it is a steatlth bomb truck. Plus the Rafale is stealthy (and twin-engine)(the whole reason they had fought beak and claws for the F-18 against the F-16 choice in the 80's: twin engines are safer over the Arctic than single engine aircrafts, and now they push a single engine non-maneuverable bomb truck on us 30 years later...).

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewl...feats-f-22.html

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Edited by Stratospheremodels