Getting the thread up so it looks like we're all really busy here. No pics yet, but I have one of my Revell F kits pulled from the stash along with Paragon's B-17E conversion set, all three True Details sets for the insides (and no, i won't be using everything in them-just the bits that apply) and some Eduard photoetch sets all together and ready to start. As soon as I get time...

Ken

Which B-17E are you planning on doing?

I'm sure you're going to have a lot of us - myself included - hanging on your every word to see how that Paragon conversion set works out.

Edited by Kostucha

I'm inclined to go with "Goonie", an 11th Bomb Group Fort that was also a Midway participant.

Whatever it'll be, here's the bits:

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

Not sure if I'm using the flaps on this one. The extra sprue is from the latest B-17G Visable Kit release.

Now we'll see how soon I can get my car done so I can get started on this.

Ken

No pics, but I had a few minutes yesterday to start grinding resin and I started with the waist upgrades. They didn't fit. The resin isn't curved enough, I'm not sure the instructions are correct and they don't cover that much of the sidewall anyway. I may just save them for a future build (a late G with the windows so one couldn't actually see much in there anyhow) and scratchbuild some detail in here.

Ken

No pics, but I had a few minutes yesterday to start grinding resin and I started with the waist upgrades. They didn't fit. The resin isn't curved enough, I'm not sure the instructions are correct and they don't cover that much of the sidewall anyway. I may just save them for a future build (a late G with the windows so one couldn't actually see much in there anyhow) and scratchbuild some detail in here.

Ken

Yep, in sizing parts up, I ran into the same problem. I might not even use mine at all. Aside from 'spare parts' on the side as hangar filler, they're pretty useless to my build. I found the same up in the nose. Even though they do cover a lot, I had to sand them down really thin and push them into shape. A real PITA.

• 2 months later...

HA! Thought I was out, huh? Truth be told, I might not finish but I have a good start going. Finally.

I started with the cowls. Easy enough:

DSCN0298.jpg

The fun began with the windows. Paragon recommends using the kit clear and painting the openings in the larger windows to resemble the smaller windows, but that doesn't really work for me. I started by cutting material out of the kit cockpit floor, bending them with my fingers to give the pieces some curvature, fitted and glued them in:

DSCN0299.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

Once they set up, I used a piece of masking tape to mark where the new ones will line up. First I did the "long" side:

DSCN0302.jpg

Then I moved it to the other half, marked the foremost window and cut out the center window in the tape. From there I moved it back to the other side to mark the center window:

DSCN0304.jpg

Then, a 1/8" hole in each with a pin drill, opened them up with a #11 blade and dolled them up with my files:

DSCN0306.jpg

And we have windows:

DSCN0308.jpg

Edited by WymanV

Feel free to delete this post if possible. Suddenly I'm having a world of trouble posting on ARC...

Edited by WymanV

Since when have we been restricted in how many pics we post?

Back to the Paragon bits. I want to use the Bendix remote turret on this since it came with the set and it makes the E model unique. However, the resin mount for the turret is odd-as if it were cast backwards. It should fit in there like this to be correct:

DSCN0314.jpg

But as you can see, it isn't made that way. The opening cast into it is on the wrong side:

DSCN0315.jpg

We'll do something about that in a bit.

Meanwhile, I built up the inside with strip styrene. The reference pics I've found (and forgot to bring) show the nose almost-if not-completely padded. However, that's rather boring, isn't it? So I framed it out, based mostly on the panel lines on the outside along with some common sense:

DSCN0319.jpg

It's a start. I also glued in some bits into the ball turret opening to resemble the fairing:

DSCN0321.jpg

So, we're underway.

Ken

I'm not doing one that had a ball turret, unless it was retrofitted and I can build it as it was beforehand. After all the research (which really hasn't been that much so far) the prototype E is in the lead.

I'll figure it out. I don't need a scheme to get the build underway anyhow.

Ken

Honi Kuu Okole had a ball turret installed before she was shot down by a nightfighter over Rabaul. She originally had a Bendix turret. You can find decals to do Honi Kuu Okole in the Zotz B-17F decal set... Or you can do Swamp Ghost before she was shot down. Swamp Ghost did have a Bendix turret when she went down in New Guinea.

• 4 months later...

And-we're back. Got a bench set up and I'm back to detailing the fuselage. Pics now would be pointless but as soon as there's something to show I'll post 'em.

Ken

Yes! Glad to see you back here! I'm looking forward to seeing your work. Also, did you come up with an identity for your plane yet?

Also, feel free to look around the rest of the build, I like seeing others opinions of my work too.

But as you can see, it isn't made that way. The opening cast into it is on the wrong side:

DSCN0315.jpg

It may be too late to fix this...but I think if you cut the resin plug off flush with the flat side of the ring, then install the part upside down from how you have it in that pic...it should sit fine. you will have the curved part fitted against the fuselage and flat surfce to mount the turret to on the bottom

just my $0.02

sean

The turret is missing material that would be filled in when inserted into the bottom of the fairing as pictured. I would have to fill and sand and honestly, it was pretty easy to just make my own fairing.

Ken

Got the stringers/formers/etc. done in one of the fuselage halves and decided it was as good a time as any to take a break and build up a radio room. It's based loosely on one I robbed from a G kit in the stash and a few pics I have of the section in the E variant:

DSCN0754.jpg

I'll remove the door to the waist section once it's built up. And my kitchen floor is now covered in little bits of styrene strips...

Ken

Still sidetripping on crew compartments. I was planning on using the True Details resin cockpit, but after test fitting it and looking at pics of the E cockpit I decided to hit the scrap pile for a Monogram G cockpit that I was going to use on my Tinker Toy project. It'll need some cleanup:

DSCN8999.jpg

It's actually going to end up a mix of parts from the B-17 scrap pile. The instrument panel is from the F kit and you can add that to the list of parts that interchange between Monogram and Revell-it dropped right into the shell like it was made for it. I went with it because it doesn't have the raised detail of the G kit, and I have a very old Pro Modeler instrument panel decal set that I want to use up before it becomes worthless. It'll do for this build:

DSCN9000.jpg

I also changed the piece that fills in the bottom of the very front as the Monogram replication looks nothing like the pics I'm refering to of the E.

Ken

I like where you are going with this Ken. Speaking of inter changeability, if you have a the top turret assembly from the monogram G in your scrap pile. You can use that in place of the F turret and guns set up. Basically, put the flat E/F turret clear part onto the G model turret, giving you a E/F turret with guns that can elevate. Unlike the revell F kit set up.

A little progress to report. Still making up the nose section. My pics show a couple interesting things: Armor plate behind the bombardier's seat, and the bombardier's seat itself is similar to the radio operator's seat. I'm betting the armor plate was likely pulled out in the field but since it's different than the F and G I'm putting it in. And I believe the seat I'm using is from a Japanese plane-likely a Tamiya Zero but I'm not sure. I'll make up some tissue paper cushions for it and hopefully one won't notice the difference:

B-17E001.jpg

And I did a little something with the entryway. Nowhere near correct and it's WIP, but at least it'll "busy up" the area:

B-17E002.jpg

And I've had enough of formers & stringers:

B-17E003.jpg

Ken