Well until my suddenly stealth CF-101 kit shows back up, I'll be working on this little classic

DSC07917.jpg

I purchased this kit used, about five years ago from Big Bear Hobby (RIP Bob) for $5

The previous owner had sprayed the wheel components in aluminum, but the kit is otherwise unbuilt, and as you can see, the decals held up well over time.

DSC07918.jpg

I'm not sure about the color callouts that Esci provides for the ghost scheme, so if anybody is in the know....

Hopefully this one wont disappear before I have a chance to work on it <_<

Well until my suddenly stealth CF-101 kit shows back up, I'll be working on this little classic

I purchased this kit used, about five years ago from Big Bear Hobby (RIP Bob) for $5

The previous owner had sprayed the wheel components in aluminum, but the kit is otherwise unbuilt, and as you can see, the decals held up well over time.

I'm not sure about the color callouts that Esci provides for the ghost scheme, so if anybody is in the know....

Hopefully this one wont disappear before I have a chance to work on it <_<

The three blues in this 'grape' scheme are FS35414, FS35109, FS35164. They are Humbrol HU 14,15,16.

wait a bit and I can scan my Canadian Forces schematic drawing for the exact colour locations--will PM you this later

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a
The three blues in this 'grape' scheme are FS35414, FS35109, FS35164. They are Humbrol HU 14,15,16.

wait a bit and I can scan my Canadian Forces schematic drawing for the exact colour locations--will PM you this later

Cheers, Tony

Tony

Any idea what the best matches might be in Tamiya acrylics? My LHS carries those, and nothing else. I have a Classic Airframes CF-5D that I want to do in this scheme.

ALF

Rkic

Bummer about the Voodoo kit. I was looking forward to that scheme. On the positive side, I learned a few things about differences between the first and second batches of Voodoos. I am probably going to be doing a 409 squadron Voodoo from the mid 60s soon.

As far as the CF-5 goes, there are multiple schemes.

Here is a good summary of all of them:

cf5dcombo.jpg

Here's a pic with Faux Pas in the foreground, Ghost in the middle, and Lizard in the background.

cf5ghostcoldlake.jpg

You can see the Grape (807) in the slot (line astern) position here.

cf5duals.jpg

Here's a pic I took of your subject in 1986. It's a picture of a hard copy picture I have in an album.

P1090589.jpg

Looking forward to this one. I just might do the same scheme in 1/48, using the Classic Airframes kit.

ALF

Edited by ALF18
Tony

Any idea what the best matches might be in Tamiya acrylics? My LHS carries those, and nothing else. I have a Classic Airframes CF-5D that I want to do in this scheme.

ALF

ALF, in all my cross references, I have no Tamiya call-outs for these colours

FS35164 is ModelMaster 1720 or Gunze 42

FS35414 ; I have only Compucolor CAC20

FS35109 ; I have only Compucolor CAC22

thats all I got other than the Humbrol colours, I'm glad I cleaned out a closing K-Mart of all its Humbrol back in the early 80's

Tony

Some very very minor progress just to prove (mostly to myself) that I'm committing to this build.

The kit's rear fuselage comes in three sections, and the bottom "pan" is wider than the two halves of the top. I'm not certain if the join line there is a natural seem. But there was a weird indentation after I finished sanding, so the putty was required. Looks like some rescribing is up ahead

DSC07951.jpg

Luckily the forward fuselage components fit much better

The sides are cleaned up, as is the spine. The seem you see there is just a ghost in the silver plastic (boo!)

DSC08005.jpg

The wings fit perfectly now, although they're just tacked on for now. Tomorrow I'll begin rescribing the lost panel lines, and deepening some of the soft ones on the fuselage top. Joy...

Nice work Ralph, I remember building one of these about 14 or 15 years ago, it was long before I had discovered ARC so all I could do is guess at which square bottle Testors paints to use for the camo, which was applied using Testors paint brushes. I always liked the lines of the CF-5s and CF-116s. Gonna have to try my luck on a modern 1/48 scale kit some day.

Those were the days, eh Charlie?

I have many fond memories of trying to paint kits from those little square bottles.

So before I set out to plug up the pylon holes under the wings, what are my options for loadouts on this aircraft? I have some of those long missile shaped laser target devices carried by aggressors in the US. Would one of those ever find itself on a grape schemed CF-116?

So before I set out to plug up the pylon holes under the wings, what are my options for loadouts on this aircraft? I have some of those long missile shaped laser target devices carried by aggressors in the US. Would one of those ever find itself on a grape schemed CF-116?

I doubt it

If they carried anything,they would carry fuel tanks at Sta 85, and they would have one on the centerline pylon first, maybe a SUU20 practice bomb dispenser. I've one pic of a Target Dart on the left wing.

Not many pics of duals carrying weapons, I'm afraid.

Cheers, Tony

Those were the days, eh Charlie?

I have many fond memories of trying to paint kits from those little square bottles.

Duals carried quite a range of external stores. Here are some ideas:

Air to air combat training:

- Wingtip missile rails (not tip tanks) with a single AIM-9M CATM (blue missile body, active green seeker head forebody).

- Centreline fuel tank, nothing under the wings

Practice bombing (academic range):

- Wingtip tanks

- Station 85 (inboard under wing) fuel tanks

- SUU practice bomb dispenser on the centreline (upside down tub with 6 blue practice bombs, white dispenser)

- One 4 or 6-tube rocket 2.75" rocket dispenser carried on one outboard wing station

Heavy weapons drop (live or inert bombs):

- Wingtip fuel tanks

- Station 85 fuel tanks

- One Mk 82 500 lb bomb on each outboard wing station

Cross country and conversion training:

- Centreline fuel tank

- Wingtip fuel tanks

ALF

ALF, in all my cross references, I have no Tamiya call-outs for these colours

FS35164 is ModelMaster 1720 or Gunze 42

FS35414 ; I have only Compucolor CAC20

FS35109 ; I have only Compucolor CAC22

thats all I got other than the Humbrol colours, I'm glad I cleaned out a closing K-Mart of all its Humbrol back in the early 80's

Tony

Here is the Bob Bryden drawing from IPMS Canada RT Vol. 12 No. 5 1979 that I used when I built this same model about 15 years ago. I wrote down some colour call outs at the time... I recognize two compucolors and one Testors...

There are some interesting details spelled out at the bottom of the drawing.

According to Dave Klaus's IPMS color Cross Reference guide:

FS35622; Gunze H314, Model Master 1722, Mr Color 314

FS35414; Gunze H087, Tamiya XF23, Compucolor CAC20, Humbrol HU14

FS35164; Gunze H042 or H056, Humbrol HU16, Model Master 1720, Tamiya XF18

FS35109; Gunze H322, Humbrol HU15, Compucolr CAC22

From experience, some of these matches are approximate and you better be armed with a FS595 fan deck when shopping.

You can recognize 116807 among its friends in my younger years display still at my parent's house !

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

Your younger-years display is quite attractive. Thanks for sharing

Showing off my younger years display would probably get me arrested in some nations for littering and disturbing the peace :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the info as well

PS. The instrument I was trying to describe above is not a targeting device. Its called an ACMI pod. No chance of one of those appearing on the CF-116, eh?

PS. The instrument I was trying to describe above is not a targeting device. Its called an ACMI pod. No chance of one of those appearing on the CF-116, eh?

Actually, we often did carry ACMI pods. They were old-style Cubic corporation pods (looked like grey AIM 9s with a pitot tube at the front, but didn't have the thin wire antennae that the modern pods have. Most likely candidate would be the air to air training config - centreline, nothing under the wings, AIM 9 CATM and ACMI pod on each wingtip missile rail.

ALF

I will always, and forever, consider the CF-5 as one of my favorite jets!! There's just something so cool about them. Yours is looking great. Can't wait to see more.

yvseff that is gorgeous!

Emvar and Tilt, thanks

Last night I began applying the instrument panel decals, and well, they're a little stiff. And by a little stiff I mean like a quarter inch thick of steal!

I bathed the decals in a generous amount of micro set and micro sol, and that did nothing for it. A puddle of future finally got it to stick, but the extra clear film around the sides, which hangs over the edge of the console, is still sticking straight out. I'm thinking I'll need some aftermarket decals for the plane.

Any suggestions?

When I have instrument panel decals that stick over the edges like that, I do what you did - stick them on with Future. When they are dry, I take a really sharp knife and carefully trim the clear portions away, hoping they don't fragment and break up as I do it.

ALF

yvseff that is gorgeous!

Emvar and Tilt, thanks

Last night I began applying the instrument panel decals, and well, they're a little stiff. And by a little stiff I mean like a quarter inch thick of steal!

I bathed the decals in a generous amount of micro set and micro sol, and that did nothing for it. A puddle of future finally got it to stick, but the extra clear film around the sides, which hangs over the edge of the console, is still sticking straight out. I'm thinking I'll need some aftermarket decals for the plane.

Any suggestions?

If you can get a hold of the long OOP Mike Grant Decal set you will not be disappointed. This set ARC review . It is ALPS printed but very thin and you need to cut out the individual markings. Contact Mike he is very good guy I'm sure if he has any spares he'll help you out.

Belcher has a nice sheet but it is lacking in the stencil data.

Leading Edge only released the NMF CF-5D markings which are OOP also.

:cheers:

Emil

You are not going to get any aftermarket with new cockpit decals so do as Alf says and carefully trim off the clear with a sharp (new) blade.....

If you are worried as to using the kit sheet on the rest of the plane then as Emil said, try contacting Mike Grant. While Mike has stopped using his ALPs printer for commercial production runs of decals, he still uses it for custom work and for his own personal decal work so it would be available to run off a sheet or two so it is worth asking him...

Leading Edge also did a sheet (72.49) for the standard Green/Gray wraparound scheme but not agressors like you are planning. The only other Cdn aftermarket sheet produced would be the long OOP Arrow Graphics sheet covering 419's "Moose Special" white and red scheme that is not what you want either. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. I just checked my copy of Mike's sheet and it looks like he limited himself to just the "Ghost" agressor scheme in his drawings but you may still be able to adapt the markings to help you with your original scheme.....

Edited by RCAFFAN