This is going to be the U-2 Fitted with the Rams Horn antenna, a U-2F I believe they designated it.

ramshorn.jpg

Can just be seen in the back ground of this pic from the 4028 SRS website. Serial 66680

Will be the old Hawk U-2 Kit with Cutting Edge Cockpit and other details along with CE decals. I have been sitting on these for a time and now seems a good time to use them!

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
  • 3 weeks later...

:) Nooooiiiceee, Julien...!!! Me luvs this bird. :wub:

Ain't familiar with the Hawk kit, but I infer it's in 1/48th scale if ya're usin' CE's cockpit, right? Say, Julien, mate; how does the Hawk kit set against the Testor one - provided it ain't the same kit, that is. :touche:

Any progress as of yet, chap?

Cheers,

Unc²

For a cool video search youtube for James May's ride in a U2. If you don't know he's the long haired guy from Top Gear who loves all things airplanes. I never saw this on an episode of TG but found it online once and it was incredible.

:pray:Nooooiiiceee, Julien...!!! Me luvs this bird. :wub:

Ain't familiar with the Hawk kit, but I infer it's in 1/48th scale if ya're usin' CE's cockpit, right? Say, Julien, mate; how does the Hawk kit set against the Testor one - provided it ain't the same kit, that is. :jaw-dropping:

Cheers,

Unc²

Hi,

HawkBox.jpg

the Hawk kit was the original U-2A kit, they recut the molds to make the Testors U-2C kit. Basically the same kit. The C just has the added spine. One reason there will be no more A kits.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Not a lot, trying to get other projects finshed.

I also want to do all that CE resin justice as as current prices no way I can replace it!

U21.jpg

I used one of the Hawk kits that was crome plated. I removed the chrome and you get this whitish plastic, much better for a light grey paint job than the normal black plastic.

Julien

Hi,

the Hawk kit was the original U-2A kit, they recut the molds to make the Testors U-2C kit. Basically the same kit. The C just has the added spine. One reason there will be no more A kits. Julien

The A model had the J-57 engine with the small air intakes, while the C model had the J-75 engine with the large, "bulged" air intakes. Different versions of the C had different spine compartments. Some none at all, some about 1/3 the fuselage length and centered, some full length.

The upper right pair, the left is the small or straight intake for A and D, while the right piece is the bulged intake for the C.

DSCN0213.jpg

U-2C

DSCN0400.jpg

U-2D, same intake as A

DSCN0411.jpg

U-2D on left, U-2C on right

DSCN0402.jpg

Original U-2 size on left ( A-G models), Big TR-1 or U-2R or U-2S on right.

U-2CU-2R.jpg

Some small U-2s had the slipper tanks (fuel) on the wings, others did not. On the big U-2s, that huge external tank was for recon equipment rather than fuel. They could be removed, but very rarely were.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
For a cool video search youtube for James May's ride in a U2. If you don't know he's the long haired guy from Top Gear who loves all things airplanes. I never saw this on an episode of TG but found it online once and it was incredible.

Hi Kris! :wave:

Searchin' for that video right away; thanks!

the Hawk kit was the original U-2A kit, they recut the molds to make the Testors U-2C kit. Basically the same kit. The C just has the added spine. One reason there will be no more A kits.

Hi Julien! Thanks for the photos, bloke! :thumbsup:

Yeh, I was askin' 'cause I've got the Testors U-2C kit, 'n' had ne'er heard 'bout Hawk's. Now I can see it's pretty much the same kit without the spine 'n' the bulged intakes. I recall havin' traded my 1/48 Italeri TR-1 kit for this one.

I also want to do all that CE resin justice as as current prices no way I can replace it!

Hmph... :coolio: Ya'd better do it, or else, I'll cry over the photos ya post on here. :crying2: I lost a bid for the CE 1/48 U-2 cockpit 'n' still wasn't quite able to get over it. The cockpit on the Testor kit is one of the worst I've ever seen so far; worst than those awful Esci cockpits!

Julien, chap; mind ya, when ya've got some time 'n' open those CE kits, show the contents of both the U-2A/C Super Detailed Cockpit 'n' U-2A-F Exterior Update kits to me, please? Any seats in the former kit, mate? Gonna look up for some photos of the seats on U-2s. (As or Cs?).

@yardbird78: Noice! :lol:

Cheers,

Unc²

Julian: I am anxiously awaiting some photos of the work on your U-2.

Grandma L

Hi,

no extra work yet :coolio: work getting involved plus I have some unfinished builds I am desperatly trying to get finished.

I will keep you updated as I really want to get this one done.

Julien

...Is there a second crewman in that D model?

Grandma L

Yes, there is. That particular model of the U-2 was used for light wave research at high altitude. Everything from the IR spectrum through the ultra-violet spectrum. That apparatus above the canopy was a turret similar to the EVS turrets on G and H model BUFFs. It had a opening and sensor face that was rotated forward when in use and rotatated aft against that aerodynamic fairing for protection when not in use. All of that was in or above the Q bay, where the regular U-2 had camera equipment.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
  • 4 weeks later...
This is going to be the U-2 Fitted with the Rams Horn antenna, a U-2F I believe they designated it.

ramshorn.jpg

Can just be seen in the back ground of this pic from the 4028 SRS website. Serial 66680

Will be the old Hawk U-2 Kit with Cutting Edge Cockpit and other details along with CE decals. I have been sitting on these for a time and now seems a good time to use them!

Julien

Julien,

Hate to say this, but the Cutting Edge "Rams horns" shape does not match the available photos of the real thing. :cheers:

I noticed it after I bought them at the IPMS/USA Nats in Atlanta.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
Julien,

Hate to say this, but the Cutting Edge "Rams horns" shape does not match the available photos of the real thing. :worship:

I noticed it after I bought them at the IPMS/USA Nats in Atlanta.

Larry

Larry,

I know where you live you know :yahoo: :)

I know they are not perfect but there the best I am going to get. Probably the best CE could do as I have only managed to find 3 pics of the real thing, including the one in this thread.

Julien

Julien

I remmember to read about the same conversion done by Paul Boyer in the 90's from Fine Scale Modeler allow me to look for the article and was in 1/72 scale

Best modelling

Armando :P

Edited by RAGATIGER
  • 2 weeks later...

Julien, mate? Any progress on yer U-2 build as of yet, bloke? :( I keep dreamin' of findin' some progress on this thread, y'know.

Hi, Uncle.

What models have YOU been working on lately?

Hi, Grandma! :P

Point taken, ma'am... was workin' on foilin' the entire Monogram 1/48 B-29 kit when the movers broke its fuselage beyond repair. I was workin' on correctin' the horrors on the Testor/Italeri 1/48 Sled before that, but then I had to move out to my old timer's place where there's no room for stretchin' in the mornin' without openin' both the door 'n' the window first... :wave:

Was workin' on the horrid AMT/Ertl 1/48 A6M5 kit 'til I got discouraged by its low quality 'n' inaccuracies. Now I'm slowly workin' on convertin' the MiniCraft 1/48 Beech V35 into an A36, but have started trainin' rugby once again, which renders my pulse the closest to sufferin' from Parkinson. :thumbsup:

'N' this is why I insist on peepin' at some of Julien's progress on his build, ya see? ya see? ya see? ya see? ya seeeeeeeeee...??? :lol:

Cheers, lady!

Unc²