Ukrainian Flanker

Hello guys!

I post here rarely, although I visit quite often. I intend to change that soon. I'm starting with my latest work, which is the biggest model that I've ever completed. Still working on the display case and the stand on which it will sit, but those are the pictures of the finished model, which I completed 2 days ago.

Wish you all Happy New Year, and all the best!

p1080252a.jpg

p1080254q.jpg

p1080257.jpg

p1080259.jpg

p1080260.jpg

p1080262.jpg

p1080265.jpg

p1080267p.jpg

p1080270j.jpg

I hope you like it, and I hope for criticism as well, this will help me improve and I do need to!

Thanx so much for the help, especially to Oliver, who's advices were priceless!

Mitko

P.S. For comparison, please check this out:

click me!

Lovely work, can we have some close up photos of the cockpit? I'd be very interested to see Eduards set.

Thanks!

Sure mate, here you go:

p1080218.jpg

and here is at the first stages of it's assembly:

p1070929i.jpg

I've had some difficulties with the right color, but nothing serious.

However, compared to their P-47 cockpit that I've worked with, same scale, this one lacks its fines

Excellent work! Looks amazing ;)

First build I've seen of this..and it looks great :lol:

This one on your signature was my second choice, but I don't have the confidence to do free hand camo as the classic flanker, and the decals would be trouble.

Radome plane is very nice bird, and the model could've been dedicated to the pilots.

Edited by Mitko
I hope you like it, and I hope for criticism as well, this will help me improve and I do need to!

Thanx so much for the help, especially to Oliver, who's advices were priceless!

Fantastic paint finish, Mitko, and great looking model.

If you don't mind a bit of (I hope) constructive criticism......

It looks like it is standing on tip-toe - there is no apparent weight to it.

I know the tires are made of rubber, but a small slice taken off the bottom contact area will give the impression of weight.

The number of award-winning models I've seen that are totally spoiled by being stood on tip-toe - maybe it's just a pet hate of mine ????

The only other thing I would point out is the nosewheel debris guard - it's completely wrong - but that is Trumpeter's fault, not yours.

I made a replacement on my single-seater - I just wish someone would come up with a proper replacement.

Like I say, these are minor points - your finished model looks great - :worship:

And you did ask..... :woot.gif:

Ken

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Fantastic paint finish, Mitko, and great looking model.

If you don't mind a bit of (I hope) constructive criticism......

It looks like it is standing on tip-toe - there is no apparent weight to it.

I know the tires are made of rubber, but a small slice taken off the bottom contact area will give the impression of weight.

The number of award-winning models I've seen that are totally spoiled by being stood on tip-toe - maybe it's just a pet hate of mine ????

The only other thing I would point out is the nosewheel debris guard - it's completely wrong - but that is Trumpeter's fault, not yours.

I made a replacement on my single-seater - I just wish someone would come up with a proper replacement.

Like I say, these are minor points - your finished model looks great - :woot.gif:

And you did ask..... :woot.gif:

Ken

Ken, thank you so much, I kinda needed something like this so we can discuss it: I noticed the wheels at the moment I installed them. I was thinking, that if they aren't flat /I hoped that the aircraft would be heavy enough so it would press them a little bit, but it wasn't/, I might remove them later, fix it, and put them back.

However, this doesn't work in my case. The main struts are not so solid, and I deeply doubt that there will be a successful attempt to do it. So, they will stay on the aircraft...If you can give me an idea how to flatten them as they are on the struts it would be great!

I thought I might compensate it with the airfield that I am going to install the plane on, but, I doubt that the result would be the one needed. I was planning to make small holes, or niches ,in which I can place them, and this can cover the flaw up. But I doubt that this would be good enough too.

Your flanker is great! I was using the article as a reference before the start of the project. I am amazed by it!

I want to ask for the airfield: how did you do it? I plan to mix cement and glue for glazed tiles, and then make the black lines with colored paint for glass.

The other thing that I might do is use a sandpaper, cut it into panel pieces and align them on the plate, after which to make the black lines the same way as above.

Chris The Ripper Novak suggested that to me, and I actually think it is quite a nice idea.

If you can give me an idea how to flatten them as they are on the struts it would be great!

It will be difficult trying to flatten them without damaging the model.

If you can devise some sort of jig to hold the model and rest the wheels on a solid surface while you cut a thin slice off each wheel.... :)

But you must make sure that no pressure is applied to the undercarriage legs or the model itself - not easy.

I suppose another thing to try is to put each wheel onto a flat, slightly heated, surface - like a piece of metal heated from below.

That should melt the rubber flat where it touches the metal - but again it is fraught with danger - you don't want a melted Flanker!!!

I would be inclined to leave well alone - you have a wonderful model there - shame to spoil it for a minor problem.

I want to ask for the airfield: how did you do it? I plan to mix cement and glue for glazed tiles, and then make the black lines with colored paint for glass.

The other thing that I might do is use a sandpaper, cut it into panel pieces and align them on the plate, after which to make the black lines the same way as above.

Chris The Ripper Novak suggested that to me, and I actually think it is quite a nice idea.

I don't normally do dioramas - but I thought it would be great to show off the big Flanker in its natural habitat... it's all imaginary - but inspired by various photos of Flankers at dispersal.

The 'concrete' apron is just rectangular 'tiles' cut from thick, grey card. I painted the base underneath black - then attached the 'tiles', leaving a slight gap between each.

Black felt tip was used to make some additional 'cracks' in the concrete

I then added grass flock from a railway set.... and tufts of grass from old paint brush hairs.

The 'road' in front of the bay is just black emery/sandpaper - the white line was masked off and roughly painted to make a white line.

The wall at the back is just four I-section plastic girders - with blocks cut from polystyrene to represent baulks of timber.

The rest is just 'clutter' - boxes from plastic card, the sandbox and fire equipment from scraps, the oil drums and boxes from railway accessories and the obligatory pedal cycles from a 1:35 scale Wehrmacht etched brass set.

The tire in the bottom RH corner is from a military vehicle kit with wind-blown newspaper printed off to scale from an image found on the internet

The ladder and towbar were scratchbuilt..... and the 'Remove-before-flight' covers are made from plastic and tube - with the 'rope' joining them together from flat dental floss - thanks to 'Geedubya'(?) for that suggestion :pray:

trumpflank_34.jpg

There are a couple more photos here.

Good luck with yours.......

Ken

Thank you so much for the nice comments!

I am currently working on the concrete plate and display case, will upload more photos soon.

Here is a preliminary look of the concrete for the moment:

imag0083j.jpg

it's drying right now...

Flankerman, thank you for the advices. I am trying to figure out a way to cut the tires, but I am getting more and more sceptical about it.

Your 27 is awesome! I love the whole idea about the project!

If you let me, I might bother you with PMs if I have more questions :D

Well done sir!!!! I just won the Academy Su-27 in the BREADBOARD raffle and was looking for a scheme to do, I think I found one, I might copy yours, if I may? GREAT GREAT start on the base!!!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

Well done sir!!!! I just won the Academy Su-27 in the BREADBOARD raffle and was looking for a scheme to do, I think I found one, I might copy yours, if I may? GREAT GREAT start on the base!!!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

I hope this will help you:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd32007.htm

32nd scale.

I think there will be more options in other scales, but this is the one that I use for mine. In airliners.net there is plenty of ukrainian birds. Easily done with masking, I love the scheme too.