I'll be watching this. That is the kit I will do if I find the time to join in.

We went from no GBs I was interested the past few months to now with all GBs I'm interested in. :sunrevolves:

Nice choice Ham, I like the shark tail forts, welcome aboard.

Just for curiosity, what does that kit give you for a radio room? I'd like to see how that is done on your instruction sheet if'n you wouldnt mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow Fortress-Fanatics,

I've started on my Academy -B. I need your recommendations on how to do some of the small nose and cabin windows. Some of these don't fit very well.

I can either go ahead and glue them in and fill and sand them to fit. Then use polishing compound and Future to bring them back to clear view.

Or, I can just leave them off and fill them at the end with Microscale Kristal Klear. What are your thoughts?

IMG_0251.JPG

Nice choice Ham, I like the shark tail forts, welcome aboard.

Just for curiosity, what does that kit give you for a radio room? I'd like to see how that is done on your instruction sheet if'n you wouldnt mind.

Sorry for the delay in replying...there is just a cavernous hole in the radio operator's compartment on these early shark-tail Academy B-17's. I checked my Academy SB-17G (rescue) boxing and it has an empty hole as well.

Greetings fellow Fortress-Fanatics,

I've started on my Academy -B. I need your recommendations on how to do some of the small nose and cabin windows. Some of these don't fit very well.

I can either go ahead and glue them in and fill and sand them to fit. Then use polishing compound and Future to bring them back to clear view.

Or, I can just leave them off and fill them at the end with Microscale Kristal Klear. What are your thoughts?

IMG_0251.JPG

Ham,

I'm building a Y1B-17 and it has some of the same small windows. The glazing with my kit is vacformed so I am thinking of going with Krtistal Klear. I too have the B-17B kit and am using it as a pattern for wome measurements on the Y1B-17. I am interested how yours comes along before I trying building my B-17B.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a bit of progress but not as much as I would have liked. SWMBO keeping my weekends devoid of modeling for the most part.

Major sub-assemblies are put together and Mr. Surfacer applied to joints. Next step is to join the wings and tails. As Academy built too much dihedral into the wings, I think I will add shims of plastic sheet to take some of it out. I'll use the old tried and true Hasegawa kit as a guage as well as photos.

:bandhead2:

IMG_0254.JPG

:D, Hi Shawn, It does look very good, I'm another who has always liked the early model B-17s. BTW, SWMBO means She Who Must Be Obeyed. It's from a British tv series called Rumpole Of The Bailey about an elderly barrister who calls his wife She Who Must Be Obeyed.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Ross, that's the same thing I call my lady, and from the same source. I'm a practicing trial lawyer in the U.S. and as a general rule I HATE televisions shows and movies about lawyers and the legal profession. But, I became a big fan of Rumpole of the Bailey and I've always been a fan of Leo McKern. Great TV show and a great actor. Funny to know that somebody else calls their lady that!

Bob

Ross, that's the same thing I call my lady, and from the same source. ... ...Great TV show and a great actor. Funny to know that somebody else calls their lady that!

Bob

Me too, but just not within her range ( hearing or throwing ) roflmao.gif

Domestic 9'er is what we tend to call our wives in the Army (call-sign '9' designates a command element... hence "Domestic 9'er"). In the airforce... haven't really heard of a term used yet...

In the US Army we call them"Household 6", the number "6" being the callsign suffix for the unit commander!

Jeff

Ah! Now that makes sense... just looking at your avatar and your little "Dumb *ss Tanker" in there... do infantiers call armoured, well Armored (in the US) guys "zipper heads" from bangin your heads off the sights all the time?

Hey! I'm just asking... they armoured guys called us "SPPUTS" (Self-Propelled Pop Up Targets)... good for a chucke... Armoured - Lost, but making good time...

Heh, what am I laughin about... I'm an AES Op now, once in an Aurora I'm a JAFO (Just Another F***in' Observer) who makes PB & J sandwiches for all the pointy heads up front...

Bitterness? None!

Ah! Now that makes sense... just looking at your avatar and your little "Dumb *ss Tanker" in there... do infantiers call armoured, well Armored (in the US) guys "zipper heads" from bangin your heads off the sights all the time?

Hey! I'm just asking... they armoured guys called us "SPPUTS" (Self-Propelled Pop Up Targets)... good for a chucke... Armoured - Lost, but making good time...

Heh, what am I laughin about... I'm an AES Op now, once in an Aurora I'm a JAFO (Just Another F***in' Observer) who makes PB & J sandwiches for all the pointy heads up front...

Bitterness? None!

We called the infantry "crunchies", the sound they make when they get caught in the treads!!!! :monkeydance: There were times when I was trying to recover a tank buried to the fenders in the Louisiana mud that I wished I had gone into the light infantry, but when it was hot and I could reach inside the turret and grab a coke, my 60-ton RV was the way to go!

My first sergeant's wife designed the logo with Snoopy on his armored dog house.

My Dad spent 30 years in the US Air Force as a "rocket scientist" (NOTE: it is not passed through the genes), and told me you could tell a fighter pilot as the guys with size 16 collars and size 3 helmets!

Jeff

Edited by Ranger74

Starting to look like a Flying Fortress. Lots of work left to do. The Hasegawa B-17F has been in my "hangar queen" partially built pile since sometime in the early 1980's. She's not part of this group build but I'm going to finish her anyway in the markings of Knockout Dropper.

IMG_0259.JPG

Starting to look like a Flying Fortress. Lots of work left to do. The Hasegawa B-17F has been in my "hangar queen" partially built pile since sometime in the early 1980's. She's not part of this group build but I'm going to finish her anyway in the markings of Knockout Dropper.

IMG_0259.JPG

See you were just waiting til now, to finsh the F so it would be part of a good looking pair.

Nice work on the B :)

That tail makes this the ugliest Fort ever produced. :soapbox: That said I look forward to seeing this one come together. :D

That tail is so avant garde! It was the 30s anyway!

Will have to say that I don't think the tail end of the pre-E models could have taken the punishment that the later models did. Just not as much material back there.

Jeff

I actually really like the way the shark tail B-17's look. There is a certain grace and refinement in these early B-17's.

I look forward to seeing "The Swoose" completed some day. The only early B-17 left in existance to my knowledge.

OK, I have primer on it now. SWMBO has my weekend planned for me and there is no model building in it. She is going to her sister's house for the weekend (about 3 hours away) and said to me, "You don't have to go if you don't want to." Well, I have been around long enough to know that is female-speak for "you have to go." So I will go. Models will still be waiting for me. I'll try to sneak some in some modeling on Sunday afternoon. :D

But I digress...

IMG_0264.JPG