RAF Open House & Air show

Can you give us a likely geographical area? The lack of visible hills suggests Lincolnshire or East Anglia, but equally could suggest the camera didn't happen to be pointing towards any hills. Going by the hangars it's an Expansion-era RAF station, so perhaps knowing where you were likely to have been might help narrow it down.

It it's East Anglia, it could be Honington or Coltishall perhaps, I don't think it's Wattisham but I could be wrong.

Ted's nailed it, it's RAF Finningley. I used to live the other side of the runway in Finningley village, garden facing on to the airfield - great days.

Thanks for posting - Would love to see more pictures !

Haydn.

Thanks for the replies, and I'm sorry I didn't initially provide more information. I created the post very late (for me) last night. Here's the story. I was at RAF Waddington with the 132nd TFW, IA ANG. I remember we got on a bus Saturday morning and rode for quite awhile before arriving at the air show. I was most surprised to see an International Harvester exhibit at the show. I'm an ardent IH enthusiast and was even wearing an IH belt buckle. I think they were from Doncaster. I should have taken a picture but was overwhelmed by all the aircraft I guess. Also, I can't believe I didn't take a picture of our A-7 that was on static display. The tail can be seen in one of the photos. If anyone has any photo of a 132nd A-7 while we were in England I'd sure appreciate a copy. I'm making a military service photo record for my kids, and hopefully grandkids.

Ironic that the show was at Finningley. I was there in 1982 with the 183rd TFG and didn't even realize I'd been there before.

Aircraft011.jpg

Aircraft012.jpg

Aircraft013.jpg

Aircraft014.jpg

Aircraft015.jpg

Aircraft016.jpg

I think this is my favorite not-an-airplane photo. Is this at Lincoln? I know we visited the town on Sunday. Ironic also is the fact that I visited the town of Lincoln and now I work at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum.

Aircraft017.jpg

A souvenir from the Finningley deployment.

SUNroyalbirth.jpg

Don't know if these are any good to you ? From the 1985 deployment to Waddington...

scan0012.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

And sadly, the only ones I seem to have left from the 1982 deployment to RAF Finningley !....

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

scan0002-2.jpg

scan0001.jpg

And you were right about International Harvesters - they used to have a big facility in Doncaster.

Cheers,

Haydn.

B17Fan...

That looks a lot like Mildenhall. Was it in May? Air fete was always in May when I was over there.

You said you work for the ALPL in Springfield? That is crazy close to me who lives in Lincoln.

Mark