My record in group builds is not good. If I have until June, though, I might just get this one together.

arr.jpg

This kit was apparently designed by a number of different people who didn't like each other very much. Carcass stuck together and smoothed out, wingtips sawn off and switched, splitter plates given sheet-plastic backs.

I've heard nothing but bad things about this kit. I think your comment sums it up nicely.

Its such an attractive airplane though! I'm glad to see you building it.

Why did you saw the wings off?

Is the Hobbycraft kit the only 1/72 Arrow? This is a subject that, as a Canadian modeller, I definitely want to do at some point...

Look forward to seeing how this goes!

Looking good so far! I've built two of these kits and had nothing but trouble.

Is the Hobbycraft kit the only 1/72 Arrow?

There's vac-form kits by Astra and by Victoria Products (VP), but no other injection kits.

:(

Too bad you have an early release kit...they fixed the "upsidedown" wing in a later release.....There is a very nice resin set from a company called Master Casters in England (www.mastercasters.co.uk) that make a resin detail set for this kit, basically a new nose section with vastly improved cockpit interior, new intakes and some further details(look under 1/72 kits on their website) that is really worth getting...HTH

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I had a look. If they'd included a replacement for the kit's wretched exhaust nozzles I would have been tempted.

Anyway, I'll be leaving the so-called canopy closed, so there's certainly no need to detail the cockpit. I'll fix the shroud and shove in some Aeroclub seats, but even that is probably overkill. Had the Arrow gone into production, I assume that pilots would have lobbied for canopies they could actually see out of. :pray:

If you are planning on doing this scale you're going to have to rebuild from scratch everything from the wing root leading edge forward. The same problems exist with the 1:48 version too. The intake profile (both top and side) are completely inaccurate. The nose section also has an incorrect profile. I wound up scratch building the whole fuselage.

The Astra and Victoria Products vacu-formed kits are top-notch. Accurate and well detailed. Probably the best vac kits I've built...oh, and the Astra CF-100 is just as good. That is of course if you can find these kits. Hobbycraft's cheap junk flooded the market and pretty much drove both these guys out of business.

Mastercasters no longer sells these sets. Although he still lists them on his website for some reason, if you order, he'll cancel and redirect you to Victory Products in Texas. I was very dissapointed in the 1:48 resin sets they offered. Hopefully the 1:72 set is better but resin parts for the forward intake isn't going to correct the overall profile.

Odds are stacked against you, but with the arrow there is so much room for imagination, you throw on a Whiff scheme, and call the inaccuracies the Avro Arrow MK II or III, and you're good to go