B-17F Nine little Yanks and a Jerk. (100th BG)

Hi,

I've started to put decals on my model.

Just one star and bar insignia on top of the port wing transformed the look of the model. B)

I have a question for you, B-17 experts.

I'm using "Kits World" decals on this one, including KW172005 for the Bomb Group symbols.

They only give two white squares and two black D's.

I think it would be very unusual if there wasn't a Bomb Group symbol on top of the starboard wing.

I'm thinking of painting a white square and making a D out of an O and an L from the sheet.

Is that correct, or were there B-17's without the BG symbol on the starboard wing?

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

I've started to put decals on my model.

Just one star and bar insignia on top of the port wing transformed the look of the model. B)

I have a question for you, B-17 experts.

I'm using "Kits World" decals on this one, including KW172005 for the Bomb Group symbols.

They only give two white squares and two black D's.

I think it would be very unusual if there wasn't a Bomb Group symbol on top of the starboard wing.

I'm thinking of painting a white square and making a D out of an O and an L from the sheet.

Is that correct, or were there B-17's without the BG symbol on the starboard wing?

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stephan,

I had the same problem with mine F but yes it should be on the starboard wing. Strange thing is that on the 1/72 version only two Group Symbols are delivered

http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?EXTPICFILE=1&CATEGORY=5&SUB=1&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&STRH=4760&ORDN=4747&STKNR=79&RNZ=946177

But the 1/48 has 3 of them

http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=4&SUB=1&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=57&STKNR=57&STRH=3332&ORDN=2350&RNZ=790190

As far as I know the group symbol was always painted on the tail and wing. Hope this helps.

Rick.

Edited by vvwse4

Hi,

Here's the last picture before she'll be finished. I'think I'll finish tomorrow and then add some pictures to the museum.

ARCB-17FGBnearlydone.jpg

I've added a small antenna mast and a small stub next to the radio room. I'll only attach the wire antenna at the very end, so that I don't break it.

I did not succeed in getting the upward-facing windows in front of the windshield into place, but I made some windows with Microscale "Micro Kristal Klear". It was the first time that I used that and I'm quite pleased with the result. Funny how you leave a white bubble there in the evening and in the morning you find a crystal clear window. :thumbsup:

I had mentioned that I was unable to find Blu Tack in Belgium. "De Grenadiers": a model supply shop from Roeselare sells it now.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Here she is... B)

B-17Ffini-5.jpg

There are more pictures in the Museum thread.

On this one, you can see how I placed the EP and L on the port side.

I'm not 100% sure it was like that, but I've never seen a picture or profile of this aircraft that showed that side.

It's been fun building a B-17 and I'll try to build more in the "North American forces in Europe" GB. Maybe finally a NMF one. ;)

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

You did a much better job on that old dog then I did. I don't know if you've got a newer 72nd Fort (Academy Revell whatever) but I have that old Revell kit next to an Academy one on the shelf and you can really see how bad that old kit is. They don't even look like the same airplane. lol

Yours looks great though nice job on the craptastic windows they look very clear.