Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia 1/72 (new mold)

Hi everybody,

This is the kit I'll do for the group-build.

GB_Airfix_spit1_01.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_02.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_03.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_04.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_05.jpg

I wanted to try one of Airfix's new molds. After some hesitation between the MiG-15 or the Bf-109G6, I finally decided to do the Spitfire Ia.

In the past, I did the Mk.Ia and the Mk.Vb (the old molds, eh). I also bought successively the new the PR.XIX then the Mk.IX (but not built them yet). A few points stand :

- the difference between the old Mk.I/V and this Mk.I is marked (scribed panel lines, more details, new markings option - 610th Sqn DW-K replace the 234th Sqn AZ-H - etc.).

- surprisingly, the new Mk.IX and XIX aren't as well detailed.

Other point, on the kit I photographed above, I remarked that the part n°5 (an air intake) has a strange look. A comparison with another example I bought confirmed me that there is a casting defect. Because I have another example of the kit, the problem is resolved (for the moment...).

I'll do it out of the box, just adding the seat's harness.

Edited by Jan-Pawel

I have one at the 'ready to paint' stage. Especially for the price, it a nice kit. Looks to be quite accurate, as mentioned, with a much better interior than either the new mold Spit IX or XIX from Airfix.

The only snag I have encountered is the canopy not wanting to fit properly - not sure if it a result of the way I assembled the interior parts or a glitch in the kit. Test fitting the canopy on a second one w/o interior also had problems, so I am not sure just what the problem is beyond it seeming to be just a touch too long for the opening.

• 2 weeks later...

The building has begun.

First serie of photos : internal parts.

GB_Airfix_spit1_06.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_07.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_08.jpg

I made it OOB, only adding fine lead stripes for the seat belts. Painting was done with Humbrol, Revell and Prince August acrylics. I also did a drybrush for to highlight the details.

I don't know why, but I have the impression that there is a lack of dihedral...

The wings are a bit of a tight fit. When doing my build (still working on it), I trimmed a bit off the wing roots then taped everything up while the cement was setting:

04.jpg

It did the trick:

05.jpg

peebeep

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I resumed the building one or two weeks ago. As far as I can remember, before my accident, I fixed some parts like the horizontal stabilizers and the canopy received the usual bath of Klir/Future.

When I resumed the building, I started the paint job. For the color used :

- Temperate Land Scheme : Humbrol 163, 29 and 90 (like suggested by Airfix),

- the Black is from Revell (n°8),

- Humbrol Metal Cote 27001 for metal parts.

Applied with a brush.

GB_Airfix_spit1_11.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_12.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_13.jpg

Now, I will pause the building for, maybe, one week, for to let the paint dry (enamel paints used). During this time, I will concentrate my attention on other projects (like the Mureaux 117, which seems to be more complex than expected).

Jan-Pawel,

Another fine Spitfire coming along well.

Looks great for brush painted and especially enamels.

Keep going. Not far from the end now.

Cheers,

Gabe :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The model was finished last week !

GB_Airfix_spit1_14.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_15.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_16.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_17.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_18.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_19.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_20.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_21.jpg

GB_Airfix_spit1_22.jpg

While finishing it, I discovered a sort of impact on the canopy. Strange... Maybe it appeared when I fixed it to the fuselage ? :unsure:

The colors are a bit too gloss.

Now, I'll have to focus on the Mureaux.