1/72 F2A-2 Brewster Buffalo

I'm a sucker for underdog aircraft so I've decided to start off the Airfix festivities with the Brewster Buffalo, probably one of the most maligned naval aircraft of WW2. While certainly well behind the curve in 1942, it seems to me it has gained a worse reputation than it probably deserved. Like the P-39 and P-40 it seems to have done ok, and even been liked when flown by pilots who knew how to make the most of the aircraft (the Finns did quite well with their Buffalos). It was not greatly inferior to the Wildcat, so I have to wonder if its story would have been happier if the Marines at Midway had , been given access to the tactics being developed by the US Navy.

The kit offers the option of a yellow wing aircraft from the USS Lexington, or an RAAF fighter, I'll be doing the yellow wing version.

Buffalo1.jpg

Buffalo2.jpg

I'm also doing a pair of Airfix kits for the Recon GB.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=222905

Edited by Aaronw

I'm pretty happy about that too. I think this was a fairly recent re-issue despite not being in a red box. The decals look much better than some of the vintage Matchbox and Airfix kits I've built.

I've got some basic assembly done, I'll try to post some photos tonight. I love these Airfix kits, just snip a few pieces off the sprues and you have something that resembles a plane. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

looks great, glad you tamed your decals

i'm struggling with the decals on my Devastator - way too thick, won't bed down over the wing ridges or rivets despite copious coatings of Microsol, Microset and Mr Mark Softer. But i employed an ARC discovered trick of pressing them down with a wet washerr heated for 30secs in microwave which helped a lot. It did lead to a little decal cracking, but i touched those up with paint. But damn these Airfix decals are a drama!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for a lack of updates but there hasn't really been anything to show. Work has been sucking the life out of me, and then I got a nasty cold / flu that dragged on for about 3 weeks. Things are settling down a bit so I hope to get this guy wrapped up over the next week.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...