Airfix 1/72 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9

Here are the photos of starting point...

Box-art

Day00-01.jpg

Sprues with parts

Day00-02.jpg

I chose to do the aircraft flown by Lt. Oskar Romm in March 1945.

As camouflage colours were given as a Humbrol reference, I will ignore these as they are just approximation of RLM standard, and according to references camouflage pattern will look like this:

- upper part of fuselage is RLM81

- fuselage sides and bottom are RLM76

- upper parts of wings are RLM82/83

- bottom parts of wings are in aluminium and RLM76 (flaps)

- mottling on fuselage and tail is probably RLM81

I'm not planning any scratchbuilding in cockpit as it would not be seen anything anyway when I glue the canopy.

I will start work soon...

Cheers,

Srdjan

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally moved from just looking at sprues :thumbsup:

As I won't detail cockpit much (maybe I'll add just seatbelts made from Tamiya tape), I assembled seat with right half of fuselage, and sprayed all interrior of cockpit into Gunze H416 (RLM66).

Day01-01.jpg

Hopefully my Fw190 will catch all those RAF machines in this grouobuild... :thumbsup:

Regards,

Srdjan

Sorry for little delay, I'm busy with multiple groupbuilds on few forums, so, here is an small update.

I've made seatbelts from Tamiya tape, and painted them with some Cream/Leather mixture

Day02-01.jpg

Next on agenda is glueing of fuselage halves...

See you soon

Srdjan

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing two Hornets for "On Canadian wings" and "Centennial of Naval Aviation" groupbuilds, I'm getting back to this one :D

In the meantime fuselage halves were assembled, and today I've glued lower wings and engine cover on fuselage.

There will be some sanding and puttying...

Day03-01.jpg

Day03-02.jpg

Regards,

Srdjan

Rad just a couple of words of advice:DON'T USE THE KIT DECALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The ones I got in my boxing was absolutely attrocious and that is giving it a good mark!Other than that well its a really nice kit and fun tto build plus yours looks real nice up to now!

Thanx for the warning Shaun, but I don't have so much other choice than these decals for D-9, especially as I would like to stick to the "Out of Box" slogan :worship:

Maybe I have som other decals, but somehow I would really like to do the Oskar Romm's machine as it had pretty colourful look - all thos RLM colours, while bottom of the wings go in 3 colours, so... pretty challenging for masking too.

I hope that decals are not missprinted as Heller decals per example can be - now that is awful to see! <_<

Regards,

Srdjan

Thanx for the warning Shaun, but I don't have so much other choice than these decals for D-9, especially as I would like to stick to the "Out of Box" slogan :yahoo:

Maybe I have som other decals, but somehow I would really like to do the Oskar Romm's machine as it had pretty colourful look - all thos RLM colours, while bottom of the wings go in 3 colours, so... pretty challenging for masking too.

I hope that decals are not missprinted as Heller decals per example can be - now that is awful to see! :cheers:

Regards,

Srdjan

if they are anything like the decals in my Devastator kit, you have my deepest sympathies :worship: - thick as cardboard, appear to have no glue on them to hold them on the model <_<

Thommo, I think that these are thin ones - they are old Airfix decals. I've seen decals in new Airfix boxings and I'm not impressed at all with them - they look quite glossy, thick, and printout is "rasterized" :cheers:

Anyway, I have quite a few ideas if decal glue is weak <_< but, let's wait until I reach decaling phase :worship:

I'll make a photo of decals in my next "photo" post, so we can all try to judge them...

Thanx for advices anyway!

Srdjan

• 2 months later...

After long break, I've continued work on this one...

First, I must make an appology for not taking a photo of decals as I promised in my previous post, but I will do it!

Anyway, here are the photos of progress...

Upper parts of wings and horizontal tails are glued to the fuselage, and almost all joints are puttied with Mr. Surfacer

Day05-01.jpg

Day05-02.jpg

I've rescribed missing panel lines on bottom of cowling and also the hinges on it.

Day05-03.jpg

Some panel lines on bottom part of fuselage are also scribed...

Day05-04.jpg

Exhaust pipes are drilled with hobby knife...

Day05-05.jpg

Day05-06.jpg

I've also drilled gun barrels and small intake in front of guns...

Day05-07.jpg

Cowling is glued together with spinner base, and underfuselage fuel tank is also ready to be glued...

Day05-08.jpg

There are few more lines to be rescribed/repaired, and I'm getting nearer to the primering phase...

Thnx Deacon.

Here are the photos of some progress..

I've glued cowling, and sprayed Mr. Surfacer over areas where I did some interventions...

Day06-01.jpg

Day06-02.jpg

Canopy on my example of this kit was distorted in right side - lower frame had shape of sinusoide - so I've cut that frane off and levelled it with sanding stick...

Day06-03.jpg

Also, on right side, glass had some texture - consequence of bad mold probably - so I've managed to polish the outher side, but inner side is not reachable for polishing so I left it as it is... but still, looks better than it was!

Day06-04.jpg

I've made new lower frame of canopy from styrene sheets - maybe it doesn't look so good as original frame, but I'm satisfied...

Day06-05.jpg

Day06-06.jpg

Canopy is here just dryfitted to see whether fits good onto new frame - gap visible on photos should've dissapear after applying Kristal Klear on this joint...

Day06-07.jpg

Day06-08.jpg

Next step will be painting remaining parts of cockpit, and glueing canopy...

I sanded a bit these styrene "add-ons", and recoated with Surfacer, but didn't make new photos as I want to make some more progress... Quite busy at work in recent days so no much free time to spare :(

Thanx for following anyway ;)

Regards,

Srdjan